I was disappointed with my first NCL cruise

jenfromjersey

We didn't do any of the other shows in the theater, but we did go to Howl at the Moon and two of the Second City shows, which were all packed. I feel like the Freestyle name is really a misnomer because if you didn't have reservations, you had to show up super early to have a shot at getting in standby.

I heard that the upper decks were a madhouse for the fireworks, so I am glad that I wasn't up there (my brother and his fiancee were).

I didn't spend too much time at the bars/dancing venues, to be honest, so I can't give an accurate account of how crowded they were.

Quantum of the Seas recommends making reservations in advance for dining and shows. On Quantum there is not traditional dining. They instituted dynamic dining which is basically their version of NCL's Freestyle. Please read member reviews for Quantum of the Seas. Plenty of less than stellar reviews. I really think you folks went on this cruise with a bad attitude since it was not your first choice..

Quantum of the Seas recommends making reservations in advance for dining and shows. On Quantum there is not traditional dining. They instituted dynamic dining which is basically their version of NCL's Freestyle. Please read member reviews for Quantum of the Seas. Plenty of less than stellar reviews. I really think you folks went on this cruise with a bad attitude since it was not your first choice..

Quite the contrary - we were looking forward to trying a new line and a (relatively) new ship. (Although I will say that learning that Katie Turner, former activities manager on Freedom of the Seas and Richard Spacey's Girl Friday, joined Quantum the day before we sailed on Breakaway, stung a little.)

Jen and I are both theater lovers at heart. My background is actually in theater, so I was very much looking forward to sailing on a ship with a Broadway-caliber production on board. I was absolutely taken aback when I saw the size and configuration of the theater on the BA. How do you build a ship designed to carry over 4,100 passengers (over 4,800 on our sailing) and design the theater to hold a few hundred people? And how do you source seating so uncomfortable that it keeps otherwise-game theater lovers swear off attending any events in that theater? I just don't understand that logic.

We also went into this cruise fully aware of the ship's capacity, the number of cabins booked, and the fact that it was a holiday week. None of those factors have anything to do with the fact that the public spaces on Breakaway are poorly designed for the ship's capacity.

I realize that Freedom of the Seas isn't anywhere near as large a vessel as Breakaway, but never in 7 days on that ship did I ever feel penned in by crowds, or turned away from venues (either by crew or by large crowds) due to lack of space. On Breakaway, I attempted to get into Fat Cat's on multiple occasions only to be blocked by a figurative sea of people, and no visible crew managing the crowd. Second City was "sold out" from embarkation day on, and if not for the fact that I was able to get into the standby line a full 45 minutes ahead of time, it's doubtful I'd have gotten in. The evening events in the Atrium were a total clusterfrick because the furniture in the Atrium, moved and rearranged throughout the day, was never reset by crew to accomodate the larger crowds in the evening - and even if they HAD been, the furniture in question is ill-suited for high-attendance events because of its size. (On the evening of the Newlywed Game, the furniture had been moved around to the point that there was a semicircle extending well into the guest services side of deck 6, completely blocking any semblance of an aisleway - had there been an emergency, I could see a lot of people getting hurt in a bums-rush for the forward stairs.

Those are just a few thoughts. I still plan on writing a more detailed trip report.

IMHO, no one goes on a cruise ship they choose, with a bad attitude before even getting on board.

Most people look forward to the ship they booked with a good attitude and expectations. Perhaps the poor attitude they had after getting off said ship was their cruise experience.

Our CC Member reviews of the BA are at 62%, speaks to those reviews: you get what you pay for with NCL, the BA, and the overall cruise experience. I believe NCL sacrificed pax comfort for pax revenue with the BA class of ships...they are a business and they are out to make $$$

FWIW - We've been on similar sized ships as the BA and never felt as crowded on them as we did on the BA, I believe it has to do with the design of the BA and the smaller, narrower public spaces (especially holding mainstream shows in the Atrium that is just too small), MDRs, and a main "Theater" that only holds 800 paxs for ship that can cruise with some 4800 paxs, with the most uncomfortable theater seats we've ever experienced, not mention the smaller cabins and balconies, though the large bathroom/shower are the best we've experienced in our 20+ cruises.

No regrets with our recent BA cruise. We have great memories from the BA and we're glad we tired NCL for the 2nd time since our last cruise with them in 2002.

That being said, our next cruise will probably be with RCI...to each their own!

Edited by MACE

Thanks, MACE, you summed up my feelings exactly! And I do agree, the bathrooms were fantastic, so much room and the shower was amazing.

We tried it, I didn't feel like it was worth the money paid of it (and we have sailed a holiday week before, on Princess, so I have dealt with crowds before). Although I won't travel Princess again (they had horrible customer service), I didn't feel like their ship, also sailing at capacity, felt crowded).