Floridians and Gulf Coast States

cruiseobsessed

Stupid question and totally off topic for a cruise...........but,

We live in Montana and my DH is supposed to fly to Atlanta on Monday for a conference. What are the odds he'll be going??

So much depends on how the storm moves. If it turns north, as predicted, it could mess with air travel in the southeast. Atlanta's airport is a zoo on a good day....

Cotton I take it your house survived Camille? It is the same way on Dauphin Island calm water and very hot. Some surfers showed up today. They were very disappointed. I hope they stay disappointed. We are starting to board up today and moving the boats up to Mobile tonight. Keep in touch Cotton and stay safe.

Thx, Cat. You stay safe, too. I just posted on another thread that I got to Hattiesburg about an hour ago.

Yep, we survived Camille, but lost about a third of our house. We had two young daughters, and I was eight months pregnant with our son at that time, and was scared to death! We didn't leave - hardly anybody on the coast left. Lesson learned. (This house is one of the antebellum houses, and has a basement....which is where we were during Camille.)

Thanks for the tip on bypassing Highway 49. We are leaving around 9:00 tonight. My husband will come tomorrow. We spent the day battening down. Our house is on the bayou, but built up on piers. We will surely get flooding under the house. We also have rolldown shutters and bahama shutters, thank goodness, so we don't have to board up.

Good advice from Dave to take the alternate route off the coast and around Hattiesburg. By tomorrow, Hwy. 49 all northbound could take all day to get as far north as Jackson. I-59 all northbound will be full of N.O. evacs so it will be a disaster also. I would also bet some in N.O. will think the way to go is to head to Gpt and go north on 49 making it even worse. Don't wait too long to start traveling.

Cotton - good luck. My parents are in Gulfport and they won't leave. They are a few miles inland but they're not in good health and older now. They won't come here because we can get it pretty bad depending on where it makes landfall.

Here we all go again...........

We are still waiting to see what it will do. Lumberton is about 45 miles inland from Gulfport. If it continues west and then comes in through LA, it wont be too bad for us as the land mass will weaken it. If it comes up to the west of Gulfport, there wont be much weakening. I have been trying to get customers to come get their jetskis from the shop today as we dont want to take a chance of them being damaged.

For those of you coming up through Lumberton on Hwy 13 Sunday morning, those idiots out flying R/C airplanes at the airport will be us. I have most of the items secured around the house so it wont take much for us to be able to leave if we have to.

Dave

Thx, Cat. You stay safe, too. I just posted on another thread that I got to Hattiesburg about an hour ago.

Yep, we survived Camille, but lost about a third of our house. We had two young daughters, and I was eight months pregnant with our son at that time, and was scared to death! We didn't leave - hardly anybody on the coast left. Lesson learned. (This house is one of the antebellum houses, and has a basement....which is where we were during Camille.)

Oh wow, Cotton! You live in one of those GORGEOUS houses along the beach?!?! You don't know how many times I've drooled over those beautiful big houses as we drove by on that busy beach road.

Say! How in the world did you and your family survive Camille in a basement of all things.....with all the vast flooding when Camille hit?!? Bless your heart.....I bet you were petrified. My ex worked down there for a long time helping clean up after that monster of a hurricane. There are many horrendous stories left from that horrible disaster.

My son lives in Hattiesburg, MS. I DO hope Katrina weakens a good bit before it passes through or by there. I've been bugging him all day with "helpful" hints that I have learned of through the media during the day. He says he can't leave his post at the Hattiesburg American Newspaper where he works....sheesh! :o/ Big news day I guess.....grrrrrrrrr!

Everyone on the Gulf Coast is in my prayers!

We have dear friends that live in Biloxi, MS. that have chose to stay in their home. About 1/2 mile away from the water, with two water ways they have to cross to get back to the mainland. Her parents are to weak to travel and she will not leave them.

Hopefully it will weaken some before land fall but it doesn't look like it.

We are praying for you all!!!

Cotton - after all of this is over and done with (hopefully with minimal damage and spared lives), I would LOVE to hear about your antebellum house! One of my favorite tours was to Natchez (couldn't stomach those mint juleps, though:)). We have a few of them left in our area in AL, but most are either hotels or museums or public buildings. Please stay safe in Hattiesburg!

Archived