Floridians and Gulf Coast States

cruiseobsessed

Thanks!! I am in Jacksonville FL (NE Coast) and we are getting some of the left over feeder bands off the ocean tonight...LOTS of strong thunderstorms! :eek: They had really bad flooding down near Miami...I feel so bad for all those people!! :(

It's looking to possibly be a Cat 4 by the time it hits the Gulf Coast. I live just outside Mobile and I am about tired of all these storms heading straight up my street. They've all seemed to turn at the last minute we've come out pretty good each time but I'm tired of the disruption and especially the power being out for a week at a time. They always seem to hit during the hottest week of the year. I actually still have about 100 cans off stew, corn and beans left from hurricane Dennis! LOL

Thank you for all the well wishes. Futaba951 I am on Dauphin Island, but thankfully the east end. We got gas for everything tonight and will board up Sunday. My neighbors just took their boards off Sunday, from Dennis.

Thank you for all the well wishes. Futaba951 I am on Dauphin Island, but thankfully the east end. We got gas for everything tonight and will board up Sunday. My neighbors just took their boards off Sunday, from Dennis.

We are in Grand Bay and I think I may board up tommorrow just to be ahead of the game. We still have about 100 cans of assorted food still left from Dennis. LOL. I guess we'll fuel up everything before they run out of gas. I went out today to check our generator and I can't get it running either. Wonderful. We may be okay here though as it looks to be moving farther west. Time will tell. I hate that anyone has to get a hurricane but it sure is someones else's turn. We've all paid our dues around here. Good luck to you and be safe.

We'll be closing the shutters tomorrow, moving the boat and jet ski and heading to Jackson to the condo that we bought for our daughter. Sure are glad to have a place to go!

Swatts, when we were down on the Miss. Coast about 3 weeks ago, I remember seeing shutters still closed on the sides of the houses along the beach drive. I guess everyone's sensing this horribly busy hurricane season and saving themselves some harried work and keeping most of their windows shuttered and boarded. I don't blame them. Y'all better come on up here before the traffic gets rediculous coming this way again. ( I live in a northern suburb town of Jackson.) I do hope y'all don't have to worry with Katrina....wish she would just die out in the Gulf; BUT we know that that's not the case 100% of the time.

We're in New Orleans and people we know are already making plans to evacuate in the morning! We'll wait to see what they say tomorrow night about the projected path. I can't spend 10 hours in standstill traffic unless I KNOW I need to get out of here. Well, I guess now my mind will be OFF my cruise in two weeks, lol - this is a bit more pressing.

Swatts, when we were down on the Miss. Coast about 3 weeks ago, I remember seeing shutters still closed on the sides of the houses along the beach drive. I guess everyone's sensing this horribly busy hurricane season and saving themselves some harried work and keeping most of their windows shuttered and boarded. I don't blame them. Y'all better come on up here before the traffic gets rediculous coming this way again. ( I live in a northern suburb town of Jackson.) I do hope y'all don't have to worry with Katrina....wish she would just die out in the Gulf; BUT we know that that's not the case 100% of the time.

Yep, you're right. We never took down boards/shutters from Cindy and Dennis. Last year it took us 5 hours to get to Hattiesburg when Ivan was coming. We're going to leave at 5:00AM on Sunday morning. My parents have to attend a wedding tomorrow evening and my husband is on call for his practice until Sunday.

well wishes and prayers go out to all of u on the coasts!!! been thru several of these and i pray she dwindles out, but it doesnt sound good. GET OUT! is the most thoughtful thing i can say if she nears your area!! i,m sure everyone knows that!! she looks to be very mean. our beautiful coasts have had their share of storms, i hope everyone is mentally prepared also. may the angels spread their wings over u!!!!

Well I am here for a Huricane Katrina Report from Miami. Went to work Thursday - Nobody thought anything of Katrina - Little storm, probably lots of rain.

Well let me tell you. Thursday night we lost our power around 7pm. We just got our power back this morning (Saturday). No one in the Miami-Dade County was prepared for Katrina as we had been for Dennis, Cindy et al - Of which we were not really affected.

Well Katrina did not form off the coast of Africa - She formed in the Caribbean Sea and boy did she hit us hard.

Miami is a disaster area. My DH and I got up real early Friday morning to access the damage. From what I witnessed and saw with all the flooding and twisted trees and downed trees, we were hit by a tornado spawned by the hurricane. Trees were down EVERYWHERE. One thing about the Miami Community that I have witnessed is that the Hurricane Clean-up was quick and swift.

I also saw a dead water moccassin on the creek bank. I have never seen one of those before! (dead or alive!).

Anyways, my FIL's house roof got peeled off and he is in Boston. We were not prepared at all for this hurricane. And let me tell you, I have learned my lesson on Hurricane Preparedness.

1. Have plenty of bottled water to drink when living in Miami - Keep your house stocked with it during Hurricane Season.

2. Have flashlights and candles and extra batteries

3. Have a full tank of gas

4. Buy plenty of ice before hand.

5. Move your car to a high location (yes mine got flooded as did a lot of other cars)

6. Watch out for people trying to price gauge. (we went out yesterday and found only one place open selling water, soda, beer, ice - He tried to overcharge me $20.00 and was talking really fast). Luckily I was alert about what he was doing.

7. Have your cell phone fully charged and keep at least another cell phone (that doesnt have service) charged - just in case you need to call 911.

That's about it for right now. I think we are all blessed in the Miami-Dade area that we came out of this storm with our lives and we are very thankful.

Some of you know I live beachfront in Gulfport. So - here we go again!:o Son and his friends will be here early in the morning to once again board up mom's house.

I've been in this house throughout countless hurricanes over the past 30+ years. It's taken a beating many times, but it's still standing. I leave when we have a mandatory evacuation notice. I think we all have the usual supplies. After each hurricane season is over, I take all the canned goods I purchase early in the season - to one of our local charities. I re-stock the next season.:)

Anyhoo, thx for your good wishes; they really are appreciated.

Swatts1,

If it gets too backed up for you. Look at taking Hwy 13 north off of Hwy 49 at Carnes. It had moderate traffic on it the last time Gulfport evacuated. Hwy 13 bypasses Hattiesburg and puts you back on Hwy 49 at Mendenhall.

Dave

Blew-By-You Personal Watercraft Services

Lumberton, MS 39455

Swatts1,

If it gets too backed up for you. Look at taking Hwy 13 north off of Hwy 49 at Carnes. It had moderate traffic on it the last time Gulfport evacuated. Hwy 13 bypasses Hattiesburg and puts you back on Hwy 49 at Mendenhall.

Dave

Blew-By-You Personal Watercraft Services

Lumberton, MS 39455

jetskier....excellent advise!

Update: I just walked along the beach. It's SO calm, not even a tiny breeze blowing. That strange, eerie feeling is felt, like it always is before a storm. My son just finished moving his boat from the marina to Back Bay for safety. He's on his way here now (not waiting till tomorrow) to board up my house. Oh, I really hope I don't have to leave again.:o

Update: I just walked along the beach. It's SO calm, not even a tiny breeze blowing. That strange, eerie feeling is felt, like it always is before a storm. My son just finished moving his boat from the marina to Back Bay for safety. He's on his way here now (not waiting till tomorrow) to board up my house. Oh, I really hope I don't have to leave again.:o

You've been around the Gulf coast long enough to know how unpredictable storms can be....

Better to leave and not have needed to than wait until it's too late.

Take care.

Thx. I'm thinking about leaving in a coupla hours or so. I have a sister in central LA, and I'll probably go there. My son refuses to leave - his house is in Biloxi, but not right on the beach like I am. This one looks scary.:o As soon as he boards up my house, I may hit the road....I'm all packed and ready. I appreciate your concern.

Good luck, Cotton - we'll be thinking about you! We have still not decided to leave - we're going to watch the news at 10 PM and then decide. We may hit the road around 4 AM tomorrow to try to beat the traffice if we decide we need to leave. We're still crossing our fingers and hoping to dodge yet another bullet.

I know the stay or go decision is a tough one. I grew up on the the Texas coast. Every storm, Dad would want to stay. Finally for one storm he does leave.The house lost 2 shingles. The motel they evacuated to inland got trashed in a twister spawned by the storm. He's never let me forget it.

(This is in no way meant to be an encouragement for staying to face a storm)

I've always believed stuff can be replaced or repaired. People are another thing.

Archived