Cruise pricing over time.

brekia2000

I booked a cruise on board for (using round figures) $4,800 with a $200 OBC. I was told this was the best deal I could get. After disembarking I had my agent check the price. I had her rebook me for $3,800, however, I lost the OBC. Still I saved $800.

When you rebook, you do not give up the cabin you are in. You simply rebook for the new lower price. The head in the sand approach you recommend will cost the average cruiser thousands after a few cruises.

Getting a retroactive adjustment after disembarking is a new one to me. Don't know why you didn't book with the TA in the first place since she has access to POLAR, and therefore to promotions that don't appear on the Cunard site.

Getting a retroactive adjustment after disembarking is a new one to me. Don't know why you didn't book with the TA in the first place since she has access to POLAR, and therefore to promotions that don't appear on the Cunard site.

Lets try this again. I booked while on board. Upon disembarking from that cruise I had my agent rebook the cruise that I booked while on board. It is that cruise that I obtained the $800 savings - not the cruise I disembarked from. The on board booking was done by the cruise line on behalf of my agent. So I did book with the agent in the first place. Finally, who said anything about Cunard? I have not cruised on Cunard nor do I have any plans to do so in the future. This is a general purpose forum, thus it is not cruise line specific.

Edited by Cuizer2

I've NEVER had a cruise drop in price from that which I've paid!!!

Did you ask? That's what I had to do - was ask. I figured if I called when there was a price reduction there was only one of three things that could happen: I could be told I'd get the lower price, I couldn't get the lower price, or I could get an upgrade. The first thing happened twice, the second caused the third (i.e. I was told the lower price was for new bookings but I would be given an upgrade for no additional charge).

Well, it is actually quite common and has happened to us nearly every time we did a future booking onboard any cruise line. It has nothing to do with booking/reservation engines like Polar. It has to do with the fact that cruise lines are constantly adjusting/changing prices (and amenities) with the goal of selling the most cabins at the highest prices. If a cruise is not selling well at the original price you might have booked onboard, there is a good chance that there will be major price drops at a later date. Since you never bother to watch cruise prices once you have booked (this is what you said in an earlier post) you would not even be aware that the cabin you booked might later be available at substantially less then you paid. If you are content to pay the much higher price, then as stockholders we thank you for your generosity. But many others here on CC (and elsewhere) prefer to buy their travel at the lowest available prices.

So, when you say this "is a new one to me" you are just admitting that you have no knowledge of these common price adjustment practices. When I specifically told you about saving about $11,000 (over 40%) by repricing a cruise that had already been booked, your reaction is to simply close your eyes and pretend such things do not happen. Of course, if one follows your philosophy and never checks the prices after booking....you would never know what you have missed.

Hank

Here is the link to a previous thread talking on pricing. Although the topic was on Celebrity Med cruise, but the discussion on pricing can apply to other cruiselines and other destination. I bookmark it and read again and still applicable.

Mediterranean cruise - Celebrity pricing?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1858152

Well, it is actually quite common and has happened to us nearly every time we did a future booking onboard any cruise line. It has nothing to do with booking/reservation engines like Polar. It has to do with the fact that cruise lines are constantly adjusting/changing prices (and amenities) with the goal of selling the most cabins at the highest prices. If a cruise is not selling well at the original price you might have booked onboard, there is a good chance that there will be major price drops at a later date. Since you never bother to watch cruise prices once you have booked (this is what you said in an earlier post) you would not even be aware that the cabin you booked might later be available at substantially less then you paid. If you are content to pay the much higher price, then as stockholders we thank you for your generosity. But many others here on CC (and elsewhere) prefer to buy their travel at the lowest available prices.

So, when you say this "is a new one to me" you are just admitting that you have no knowledge of these common price adjustment practices. When I specifically told you about saving about $11,000 (over 40%) by repricing a cruise that had already been booked, your reaction is to simply close your eyes and pretend such things do not happen. Of course, if one follows your philosophy and never checks the prices after booking....you would never know what you have missed.

Hank

We'll have to part company in disagreement. I've explained my rationale several times in this thread and while you are entitled to disagree your condensing ridicule was not necessary. Mutual use of the ignore list might be in order since, as you said, I offered "...the worst advice we have seen dispensed here on CC."

We'll have to part company in disagreement. I've explained my rationale several times in this thread and while you are entitled to disagree your condensing ridicule was not necessary. Mutual use of the ignore list might be in order since, as you said, I offered "...the worst advice we have seen dispensed here on CC."

You can certainly disagree until you are blue in the face, but the facts remain the same. Cruise prices are very dynamic and often undergo major changes throughout an entire booking cycle. To deny this "fact" is like denying that the earth is round (I guess there are still some in the Flat Earth Society).

Hank