Beverages without package

jackal24

I don't understand why people are so attracted to the beverage packages. We must be in a huge minority. As stated above, there are many choices of non-alcoholic beverages without charge. Even with a cocktail and 2 glasses of wine a day, it doesn't equal the cost of any package. If we want bottled water (no need in my opinion) we buy a couple in port. You will do fine without a package unless you drink more than 4 or 5 drinks a day.

It depends on how much you drink, or in my case how much you can drink. I can only do two drinks in the evening with dinner. I just don't have the capacity to drink more. I have read where others have had, starting just before dinner, 8-9 drinks.

Some quick information: (AQ on all cruises)

Our first CC we had the premium package for ~$400 each. We barely could drink enough to justify it, including water and juice. 7 day cruise.

2nd CC with no package we drank what we wanted and it was about $220 each on an 11 day cruise.

Next cruise we have the 123GO. Upgraded to premium package for $161 for a 14 day cruise. I think this will work for us.

BTW, during a talk about thow the ship worked the speaker said you should not drink the tap water in your cabin.

Edited by Chitown12562

I believe there is an orange "drink" and a fruit punch "drink". By "drink" I mean it may or may not contain fruit. Anyway I really liked the fruit punch!

If you are In AQ you get free smoothies and Orange juice in Blu and 2 free bottles of water delivered to your room everyday. We were stock piling them in our suitcase. Not I know to use them when taking meds, brushing my teeth, etc.

Lastly, I know people who can drink all night and they seem fine. I'm talking wine and cordials. I just know that after eating the food in Blu with a glass of wine I can only do one more drink. I just don't have te capacity to do more.

I had the premium NA package on a cruise a couple years ago as my mom treated me to it - she chose the premium alcohol package to try it for herself. My mom is also elite. I thoroughly enjoyed having the premium NA package - I consumed 4-5 bottles of Evian per day, a large bottle of pellegrino at dinner, specialty coffees, and smoothies for breakfast (typically what I have at home for breakfast). While I don't "need" the package, it was really nice to have a waiter bring you a bottle of water while laying out. I also found that I consumed a lot more water with this package than when I bring a nalgene bottle and fill it. Mom and I went to the elite cocktail hour and I often had a couple drinks there as well for my pre-dinner cocktails. I had also brought two bottles of wine from home with which I poured a glass for dinner in the room and brought it with me to dinner. Worked great and the NA package was worth every penny.

So while I don't need a package, I enjoy it. My upcoming cruise had one bundled in and I will be upgrading it to the premium (onboard so I can use my OBC) as I prefer to drink martinis and enjoy a variety of wine. But, I also know that my biggest use will be bottles of water, cappuccinos, and espresso along with the occasional Affogato (yum!). But the biggest benefit is that I won't need to think or feel like I am spending money I shouldn't. On future cruises, I wouldn't hesitate to book a premium NA package as I truly felt it was a great value (for me) for the money.

Someone mentioned that you can bring on bottled water, can you still? If so do you have to check it in or carry it on. I drink a lot of water and don't want to pay $5 a bottle.

You can do either, check or carry on. But the water on the ship is totally drinkable. I'd go broke drinking nothing but bottled wate!

Agreed. It's not alcoholism - it just sounds like it :D

However 4-5 drinks every day on a cruise most definitely qualifies as "heavy drinking" and 10 per day is undoubtedly "binge drinking" - I looked up the definitions :).

I put on enough weight on a cruise without adding huge amounts of alcohol into the mix. Although I guess if you drank daily your body would be able to process it easier. I'm lucky if I get to 10 drinks in a month.

I'm not criticising people for drinking. It's your cruise and your health so enjoy yourself. Each to their own. I just don't understand how anyone can drink enough to make a paid beverage package worthwhile.

Good thing is I qualify for both binge eating and drinking. Yet my weight stays low. Problem is some others worry about it. Biggest problem is my bank, when I get back, they don't understand me having a drink at 9:00 ;)

Thanks for the info CathyCruises. I drink so much water, always thirsty. I'm a bit of a germaphobe so whenever away from home I drink bottled or filtered water. I had a bad experience on my last land vacation to Cabo, my DH made coffee in our room with tap water, I did not know until I started getting sick and it was bad. I would definitely go broke if I bought bottled water onboard but if I can bring a couple liters of water onboard I will feel better.

I agree......4-5 drinks a day is not alcoholism....it's breakfast......lol

all kidding aside it's a vacation...no one is driving home..and they tend to cut loos a bit..the packages work for most

Bit strong referring to 4-5 drinks a day as alcoholism. You are virtually saying that 90% of people on board are Alcoholics. I drink average 10 a day when on a cruise but only average 2 a day when at home.

Agree. There is no way I could ever justify paying for a beverage package. I'm certainly no teetotaller but 4-5 alcoholic drinks every day sounds like alcoholism to me. The free options in the buffet plus water at dinner keep me hydrated and I pay for the rest individually.

I have proof I'm NOT an alcoholic...I don't go to meetings. :p

How much I drink or not is none of your business unless I adversely impact your existence. Different people have varying metabolic rates. I can't drink more than a couple of beers without feeling bloated but I can drink three double scotches on the rocks and not be drunk. I've seen some who can drink 12 beers and not show obnoxious behavior. Besides I'm not driving, the Captain is.

People who have been diagnosed by a proper professional to have alcoholism have little ability to set limits on their drinking once they begin, if any. On the other hand, alcohol abusers have may still have some ability to do so.

So I suggest that the people on a cruise who drink five drinks a day may be (or not be) temporary abusers while taking vacation which is not their normal behavior when back in real life.

Show me the way

To the next whisky bar

Oh, don't ask why

Oh, don't ask why

"Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)" The Doors 1966

Edited by ChucktownSteve

You can do either, check or carry on. But the water on the ship is totally drinkable. I'd go broke drinking nothing but bottled wate!

Thanks for the info CathyCruises. I drink so much water, always thirsty. I'm a bit of a germaphobe so whenever away from home I drink bottled or filtered water. I had a bad experience on my last land vacation to Cabo, my DH made coffee in our room with tap water, I did not know until I started getting sick and it was bad. I would definitely go broke if I bought bottled water onboard but if I can bring a couple liters of water onboard I will feel better.

Most people have no issues with the ship's tap water. Some people who are sensitive to sodium, or used to very low sodium diets, experience a little bloating and swelling in hands, feet or legs as the ships tap water has slightly more sodium in it than the tap water most people have at home. But I've never heard of people having any reactions like the one you experienced in Mexico so you don't have to worry about that.

Here is a link to an old thread discussing the swelling issue and a post I made to it discussing how the ship's water is desalinated: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28708782

Does this really have ANYTHING to do with the chioce to buy a beverage package?

I have proof I'm NOT an alcoholic...I don't go to meetings. :p

How much I drink or not is none of your business unless I adversely impact your existence. Different people have varying metabolic rates. I can't drink more than a couple of beers without feeling bloated but I can drink three double scotches on the rocks and not be drunk. I've seen some who can drink 12 beers and not show obnoxious behavior. Besides I'm not driving, the Captain is.

People who have been diagnosed by a proper professional to have alcoholism have little ability to set limits on their drinking once they begin, if any. On the other hand, alcohol abusers have may still have some ability to do so.

So I suggest that the people on a cruise who drink five drinks a day may be (or not be) temporary abusers while taking vacation which is not their normal behavior when back in real life.

Show me the way

To the next whisky bar

Oh, don't ask why

Oh, don't ask why

"Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)" The Doors 1966

I totally agree.....

Lovely pic by the way......

I'm not sure this statement was necessary or helpful. At best, I think it might be a little offensive to those who've experienced alcoholism in their families to compare drinking a bottle of wine on vacation to being an alcoholic.

Well, the water in Mexico is known to be a major source of 'Montezuma's Revenge' so that doesn't surprise me at all. I lived in Mexico for 3 1/2 years and drank only bottled water but of the large bottle, 5 gallon variety.

I have never had a similar reaction to drinking the tap water on a cruise ship!

Funny story about the water in Mexico. Of course everyone advises you not to drink the tap water, right? So I accompanied my then-husband to his interview for medical school in Guadalajara and was in the waiting room while he was being interviewed. Another potential doctor commented 'oh, they told me not to drink the tap water, so I just drank it from the shower instead.'!!!! O-KAY!