Where to stay just one extra day in Ft. Lauderdale

Ilikeboats

Hi: We are doing a five day cruise on the Liberty at the end of February. Usually we stay after the cruise 2-3 days and stay near the beach. This time, however, we are taking an early flight the next day so just need a hotel for the night. One part of me says, stay near the beach so you can enjoy it one last time, but the other part says, you will be so tired, just get to a hotel near the airport, have a nice dinner and get to bed early and save money on both the hotel and cab ride. I figure by the time we get off the ship (we take our time and get off late and eat breakfast) and get to the hotel and check in the day will be half over anyway. What would you do? Thanks for any advice. I'm leaning towards the hotel near the airport if I can save money. Any good ones anyone can recommend? Thanks for any incite!!

We disembarked in Miami on a Saturday and had a flight out of FLL Sunday morning. We booked a room at the Crowne Plaza in Hollywood, took a cab there after leaving the ship, checked our bags, and took the water taxi to Las Olas. It's a nice hotel with a tiki bar right on the Intercoastal Waterway. We had a great time. The next morning the hotel had a cab waiting for us when we needed to get to the airport and we were there in plenty of time for our flight.

I know it's a very different situation, but in 2013 we returned to Dover England from a Baltic cruise and flew out of Heathrow early the next morning. We stayed at a hotel by Heathrow and were completely bored for the day - essentially, we just waited to fly home.

I'm not sure why you say the day will be half over...it will still be morning when you arrive at the hotel, as you can't stay on the ship that late. If you like the beach, spend the day/night there. Lago Mar is the closest beach hotel to the port and airport.