Positives anyone?

Other lines are much hotter on security. If a bomb exploded in a hotel then dozens or maybe hundreds at worst will be affected. Sink a cruise ship and you are talking 1000's.

As someone said above - anyone can walk into a hotel. Not so on a cruise ship. That's where your security is. Much more secure on a ship than in a hotel. Everyone is known and photograph is checked on computer when embarking and disembarking.

You are paying a premium price for 'ok' . Also for service. As I have said several times on here, Thomson are charging a premium price for a second rate product. 'Ok' is not good enough. Look elsewhere!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Shot to Bits

You often tell us to try elsewhere! We would if we wanted to! But I don't want to -because the Thomson product gives me everything I want from a cruise. Perhaps I'm easily pleased!

But flying from my local stress free airport (Doncaster) is so very important to me. I never want to use Manchester Airport again- we got lost driving there one year so the next year we got a taxi- and he got lost- we were sat in the taxi huddled over a big map (before sat navs!).

We can stay the night at the Ramada on the airport, plus 8 days parking, for £80, and just a few minutes walk over to the terminal.

The ships are old but that doesn't bother me. The cabins we have had over the years have been fine.

The staff on the ships are superb- great fun. I love seeing familiar faces year after year.

The shows are fantastic- the show team put so much energy into providing first class entertainment.

Booking early gives us free all inclusive drinks package- we really appreciate the freedom that affords. When I read on other boards about different drinks packages and which bars you can and cant use I am so glad I have the Thomson product.

The itineraries on Thomson cruises suit me fine- no other cruise line attracts me on itinerary.

I realise that you think I may be paying over the odds, but I really don't think that any other cruise line can give me the things that are important to me. except Thomson.

Linda. Just to the right of Richard, as we are looking at it.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

Thanks Joe, I remember he had a fabulous voice. He sang some operatic stuff one night - brilliant. Mind you it was a brilliant showteam altogether. A shame they are splitting up. I know Charly and her chap (what is his name?) are on the Majesty.

I've got a terrible memory for names :o Keeping calling my cats by their wrong names and I live with them, lol.

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Hi Shot to Bits

You often tell us to try elsewhere! We would if we wanted to! But I don't want to -because the Thomson product gives me everything I want from a cruise. Perhaps I'm easily pleased!

But flying from my local stress free airport (Doncaster) is so very important to me. I never want to use Manchester Airport again- we got lost driving there one year so the next year we got a taxi- and he got lost- we were sat in the taxi huddled over a big map (before sat navs!).

We can stay the night at the Ramada on the airport, plus 8 days parking, for £80, and just a few minutes walk over to the terminal.

The ships are old but that doesn't bother me. The cabins we have had over the years have been fine.

The staff on the ships are superb- great fun. I love seeing familiar faces year after year.

The shows are fantastic- the show team put so much energy into providing first class entertainment.

Booking early gives us free all inclusive drinks package- we really appreciate the freedom that affords. When I read on other boards about different drinks packages and which bars you can and cant use I am so glad I have the Thomson product.

The itineraries on Thomson cruises suit me fine- no other cruise line attracts me on itinerary.

I realise that you think I may be paying over the odds, but I really don't think that any other cruise line can give me the things that are important to me. except Thomson.

And that's absolutely fine Flopsy. I don't criticise anyone for finding their personal happiness level. On my personal level, I have decided that Thomson don't offer the level of happiness I had come to expect from them. I still think they are overpriced and have very poor ships, but agree regarding staff, entertainment Etc etc. I also don't blame you at all for using your local airport. With all the heartache going on in Europe and the rest of the world, we don't fancy flying anywhere, so a drive down to Southampton, no baggage restrictions and a virtually new ship has a lot of appeal. Also, our chosen cruise is cheaper than thomson and we have a balcony room. After all, cost has to be an important factor, especially for those of us who are on a fixed income. (Retired)! At the end of the day, we all make choices and I would not want to force my opinion on anyone. I just suggest that there are cheaper alternatives and sincerely hope that we all continue enjoying many more happy years of cruising, whatever the line.

And that's absolutely fine Flopsy. I don't criticise anyone for finding their personal happiness level. On my personal level, I have decided that Thomson don't offer the level of happiness I had come to expect from them. I still think they are overpriced and have very poor ships, but agree regarding staff, entertainment Etc etc. I also don't blame you at all for using your local airport. With all the heartache going on in Europe and the rest of the world, we don't fancy flying anywhere, so a drive down to Southampton, no baggage restrictions and a virtually new ship has a lot of appeal. Also, our chosen cruise is cheaper than thomson and we have a balcony room. After all, cost has to be an important factor, especially for those of us who are on a fixed income. (Retired)! At the end of the day, we all make choices and I would not want to force my opinion on anyone. I just suggest that there are cheaper alternatives and sincerely hope that we all continue enjoying many more happy years of cruising, whatever the line.

We're also on a fixed income (not retired!) and want to continue to cruise but Thomson have actually 'forced' us to look elsewhere! We love the product but prices over the years for us have escalated & escalated & it gets to the point where we don't what to pay the sort of money we have been paying the last couple of years - we have looked at alternatives, tried a couple of mini cruises which have been great and bitten the bullet and are also trying a cruise ex-UK which actually on the mini cruises was a lovely experience not having to do the hassle at the airports both ends!

Each to their own - I am actually very saddened to read a lot of bad reports coming back from the Dream in particular & also Majesty this winter - Thomson just don't see to get it quite right at this time of year with some of their cruises???

I am very much looking forward to hearing of everyone's experiences on other lines; I hope we will be welcomed back on here to talk about them!

And that's absolutely fine Flopsy. I don't criticise anyone for finding their personal happiness level.

and yet you yourself advised readers with this sentence (as your post above): 'Ok' is not good enough. Look elsewhere!'

On my personal level, I have decided that Thomson don't offer the level of happiness I had come to expect from them. I still think they are overpriced

when comparing like for like i disagree on this (not your personal level of happiness....the overpriced bit) prices ‘like for like’ are comparable between all the lines (not including silversea or azmara) they all have complicated pricing structures and offer different facilities /categories / itineraries /daily service charges/no daily service charges/balconies/no balconies/windows/cubby holes/flying/no flying/safes/number of sea days....the list is endless :confused:

and have very poor ships,

thomson ships are old yes but they are not poor imo, thomsons ships are well maintained, spotlessly clean, smaller and well laid out and cabins well equipped (depending on category/ship)

but agree regarding staff, entertainment Etc etc.

and yet you say this? 'Also for service. As I have said several times on here, Thomson are charging a premium price for a second rate product'

I also don't blame you at all for using your local airport. With all the heartache going on in Europe and the rest of the world, we don't fancy flying anywhere, so a drive down to Southampton, no baggage restrictions

its statically much safer to fly than to drive, and flying from regional airports is available on thomsons and not always available from many other lines, incurring other travelling expense which should be factored in when comparing fares with other lines

and a virtually new ship has a lot of appeal.

not necessarily, i dont need chandeliers to enjoy my holiday, and for me older ships have more tradition, have more character and some quikyness plus they are smaller and can visit interesting out of the way ports of call, personally that is very appealing to me (i dont really want to go ice skating or wall climbing)

Also, our chosen cruise is cheaper than thomson and we have a balcony room. After all, cost has to be an important factor, especially for those of us who are on a fixed income. (Retired)!

again not necessarily? not after you have factored in the extra travelling/daily service charges/tips and generally higher drinks prices that can be found on some other lines

At the end of the day, we all make choices and I would not want to force my opinion on anyone.

neither would I ;) all your points above are very valid and i am just offering my own personal take on some of your comments

I just suggest that there are cheaper alternatives

there will always be cheaper or better alternatives? Whatever you choose, cut throat pricing structures of all lines deliberately set out to make it difficult for clients to compare products and value for money (even harder to get a handle on than gas tariffs) its not all about saving more money than the next man or getting a better product for less, its about getting what an idividual wants at a price they are happy with

and sincerely hope that we all continue enjoying many more happy years of cruising, whatever the line.

Thanks, I know that I certainly will try to, I always try to make the best of my hard earned cash and enjoy all of my holidays (whichever line I am on or whatever I pay) no matter what may come our way? its an adventure and i consider myself to be blessed to be able to choose this sort of holiday and to visit all those out of the way places that i could never get too otherwise (how lucky am I) i make sure that i enjoy every minute of it:cool:

As someone said above - anyone can walk into a hotel. Not so on a cruise ship. That's where your security is. Much more secure on a ship than in a hotel. Everyone is known and photograph is checked on computer when embarking and disembarking.

So do you think other cruise lines are wasting their time with their security?

Other lines are much hotter on security. If a bomb exploded in a hotel then dozens or maybe hundreds at worst will be affected. Sink a cruise ship and you are talking 1000's.

europes biggest killer? ...cardio vascular disease (over 4 million each year in europe)...I dont see any cruise lines offering cardiovascular health risk assessments either? ;):p

So do you think other cruise lines are wasting their time with their security?

but do they actually do full personal scans same as at the airport, walk through/pat down , forget bagge scans, the days of wooden boxes labelled dynamite are gone, modern explosives on the person are the thing, you could even conceal enough stuff up your ar**. do these high security cruiselines make you dump anything liquid as you board????

just because security isnt visible doesnt mean there isnt any!

most visible security measures are there to deter (opportunists) and reassure (worried innocent passengers)... remember the tanks at heathrow!?

there is all manner of invisible screening of travellers... cctv, advance passenger information, bag searches, passenger profiling, surveillance, sniffer dogs, monitoring of emails/phone calls, databases, shopping habits, credit card use and who knows? what else?

most people/cruise passengers have already been through quite a lot of (invisible) screening before they even arrive anywhere...we dont want anymore of it (that would border on an abuse of my right to liberty/privacy)

all the security checks and screening can only minimise the risks, airport screening only minimises the risk of you being able to carry something onboard and have access to it in flight, your hold luggage could easily contain inert explosives which would not be detected, the same luggage would also be screened and allowed on to the ship, no need to try and bring anything on to the ship on a port day as you already have the goodies on board

A mate of mine, a Paramedic was seconded to Buckingham Palace with specific instructions and tasks to carry out in the event of a terrorist attack. This was about 10 years ago and I doubt that much will have changed about the overview given by his peers - that there is very little that can be done to stop a determined individual other than ensure measures already in place are well managed.

I would hope that suitcases are vigilantly scanned when loaded on every cruise ship particularly for those sailing from the UK that haven't gone through airport security?

I should say that alarmist concerns are natural but to put some perspective on things, 3 weeks ago we were all going to die from Ebola ;)

but do they actually do full personal scans same as at the airport, walk through/pat down , forget bagge scans, the days of wooden boxes labelled dynamite are gone, modern explosives on the person are the thing, you could even conceal enough stuff up your ar**. do these high security cruiselines make you dump anything liquid as you board????

They'd get picked up when security spots them gritting their teeth and walking like they're chewing a toffee:)

if someone did have any 'inert' substances on their person ...they would have been likely to (we would hope) have been picked up at the point that they tried to obtain those substances.... long before they got anywhere near an airport

Do not, I repeat do not walk about with sprouts anywhere, not even if you have eaten them Dining on the Dream you are allowed one sprout/ week on b2b cruise you may get three,at each port you dock they have trained dogs to check if you are carrying any such veg. and some are dressed as carrots Plse do be aware this is a serious issue :eek:

In Ashdod the other year on a relocation (on ye old good ship Celebration from Egypt thru Suez Canal) when we docked in the Israel port the immigration peeps came aboard to check everyones passport with and crew member after this one to one check ..you finaly had to go through………….sprout control……be warned :rolleyes:

Geo will understand all this :confused:

Stevie:)

ahhh you may jest;):) ......they do have sniffer dogs on the port gates in cozumel.... sniffing for?? ......illicit fruit!:eek::confused:

knives/catapults/knuckeldusters/pepper spray/sombreros made out of fluffy cuddly small animals? ...all fine? ... a small golden delicious..... definitely a no! no!... sprouts?? probably an imprisonable offence with no chance of parole:D

• 2 weeks later...