Positives anyone?

Feathers? Ruffled? Definitely not me - more likely to have a smile. ;):)

But I was just concerned that a first time cruiser and new poster seemed worried about recent reviews relating to an issue which is already resolved eg the refurbishment work recently on Dream. That was a passing issue (not minimising it's impact on passengers though) and it's not a problem now so it would be a shame if she was unnecessarily concerwned and it spoilt her anticipation of her first ever cruise.

We regulars are all well versed in the Thomson product and the forum and from experience know what's an issue for us personally, what might be an on-going problem and what could just as easily be better or worse three months down the line. But that might not be so obvious to new cruisers. I was simply trying to put her mind at rest by pointing out the differences.

Well said kruzseeka

We were on Majesty for New Year and while it wasn't perfect it was Ok.

The ship in general is kept clean, food was mainly OK, the worse thing was the service in the Restaurant and if that is the worst then it's not a disaster.

I would go back tomorrow for the right Itinerary at the right price.

As I have said elsewhere the one thing that did concern us was security, not scanned once on returning to the ship and could have carried anything onboard. Does no-one else find that odd?

You are paying a premium price for 'ok' . Also for service. As I have said several times on here, Thomson are charging a premium price for a second rate product. 'Ok' is not good enough. Look elsewhere!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shot2bits

You are dead right about Thomson's product.

It is no longer fit for the name Platinum and the more people who get to know it the better.

Why pay £3,300+ ( a lot cheaper for nearer to cruise time ) for a defunct product and to be disappointed with what you get.:mad:

a little harsh imo

I would agree geo. I have had reservations about some aspects - as do most of us from time to time but there are pluses and minuses with all cruise lines and ships. To say the Thomson product is defunct is unfair I think. It still has much to offer. I have yet to find a cruise line with a better ratio of port:sea days and they do have excellent itineraries compared with those I've compared them with. And at the risk of being boring the entertainment is still the best imo and the passengers and crew create a lovely atmosphere on board.

You are paying a premium price for 'ok' . Also for service. As I have said several times on here, Thomson are charging a premium price for a second rate product. 'Ok' is not good enough. Look elsewhere!

I have been trying, as have my friends and 2 travel agents, to find a 7 day Mediterranean cruise for 4 ladies and all have only come up with Thomson. The advantage of flying direct from a local airport, excellent itinerary and entertainment, a £10 or £15 per day (at the moment) drinks package just outweighs anything else on the market. Except a more modern ship which would be good.

The alternative is a coach journey to Southampton and days at sea before getting to the Med or a NCL from Harwich. To get to Harwich we have to travel to London, stay overnight and then get a cruise coach to Harwich in the morning...so adding greatly to the cost!!! I'm afraid we don't seem to have any choice unless anyone else has any ideas.

a little harsh imo

thomsons dont say anywhere that their 'platinum' brand is a premium service?

They charge a platinum price however!

Jackie, I understand your dilemma. We are not exactly on the Southampton door step and it always costs for a hotel, parking etc. However, I have saved enough on our next cruise, compared to Thomson, that the hotel cost is effectively paid for.

Whatever you do, enjoy your next one.

P&O do a 7 day flycruise from Venice to Genoa or vice versa. I don't know which airports they do in your area Jackie but there are flights from Scotland so must be some local ones down there too! Of course it may be booked up for your dates.

P&O do a 7 day flycruise from Venice to Genoa or vice versa. I don't know which airports they do in your area Jackie but there are flights from Scotland so must be some local ones down there too! Of course it may be booked up for your dates.

Thank you Sheila. I already looked at P&O but discounted it as flights as shown on line for Oceana are only from Manchester, B'ham and London. Itinerary for us not so good either. Honestly, I have spent hours searching the internet. We really need Newcastle or Leeds/Bradford. No Scottish flights mentioned on dates I was looking at.

I wasn't too taken with the itinerary either Jackanne. I forgot to say the Scottish flights are only available on the 14 day itinerary.

My son is doing the 7 day one at Easter and he is having to fly from Manchester but he is young enough not to mind! I will be interested to hear what he thinks of P&O as we would like to try another company and may consider the 14 day one for next year.

Like you I have spent hours looking for a suitable itinerary with local flights and always come back to Thomson!

I wasn't too taken with the itinerary either Jackanne. I forgot to say the Scottish flights are only available on the 14 day itinerary.

My son is doing the 7 day one at Easter and he is having to fly from Manchester but he is young enough not to mind! I will be interested to hear what he thinks of P&O as we would like to try another company and may consider the 14 day one for next year.

Like you I have spent hours looking for a suitable itinerary with local flights and always come back to Thomson!

I'm afraid this proposed cruise holiday is going on the back burner. Overnight the cruise we had in mind has gone up considerably! Might be a cruise to the Isle of Wight! Bournemouth seems to be getting a few bargains though.

Edited by Jakanne1

No reason to scan people returning to the ship as they are the residents. ie: they are the same people who got off earlier in the day. It's just a hotel but on water, not on land.

Other lines are much hotter on security. If a bomb exploded in a hotel then dozens or maybe hundreds at worst will be affected. Sink a cruise ship and you are talking 1000's.

I agree, which is why I said elsewhere that we wouldn't be back in a hurry. We went on this particular cruise for the Itinerary, the date of departure and local airport. I wouldn't rule out cruising with Thomson again but it would have to reach all of that criteria as a minimum.

I'm afraid this proposed cruise holiday is going on the back burner. Overnight the cruise we had in mind has gone up considerably! Might be a cruise to the Isle of Wight! Bournemouth seems to be getting a few bargains though.

Really, Jackie? What a shame - that is what I just don't get about Thomson (amongst many things actually!); their pricing policy?!?!

I think you will find P&O s even more confusing - early savers, late savers, select fares! Lots of complaining on there too.

I just can't work out how Thomson's fares change virtually on a daily - or perhaps weekly - basis Linda?! I think it's awful that Jackie was probably pretty much ready to book & it's just increased overnight. It's not as if she is travelling next week; it's several months yet :confused::confused:

Sheila, I will let you know what Oceana is like when we get back in April :)

Jackie, might be better to have week in a nice hotel ;) I can recommend the Rocamarina in Cala d'Or, Majorca :)

Linda one of the spirit showteam from last year grant is going on the oceana soon

I just can't work out how Thomson's fares change virtually on a daily - or perhaps weekly - basis Linda?! I think it's awful that Jackie was probably pretty much ready to book & it's just increased overnight. It's not as if she is travelling next week; it's several months yet :confused::confused:

It was for a cruise at the end May and all the outside 3/4 cabins have been sold! So they have increased the 3/4 inside cabins. :mad: