Sea sickness

alfie1963

Whilst on a cruise of the caribbean I suffered bad with sea sickness was given tablets which helped loads,but made me sleepy since then I have been on 3 more cruises and just take 3 tablets every day but not to be mixed with alcohol I get very dry mouth and sleepy early,not sure what to do next time take them only if I feel sick or take them to prevent it :D not sure if the sea is rough singapore and china what has others done would like to no if you found anything that helps.

Not sure what kind of tablets you are using, but the number 1 drug of choice, by most cruise line physicians, is Meclizine Hcl (sold over the counter in the US as Bonine and prescription as Antivert). This particular tablet is generally taken once per day (doing this at bedtime really helps avoid sleepy side effects during the day). For those that need an even stronger drug there are the so-called patches which are marketed this side of the pond as "Transderm Scop."

Hank

I also react to Bonine with the need to sleep. You may want to ask a pharmacy in Singapore! I bought great non-drowsy medication in Australia. It had ginger in it. And another great product in France, called mercalm. None of these two products made me sleepy and they worked perfectly fine. Sorry, I used both up and don't know what is actually in them.

When the ocean is not too rough, I eat crystallized ginger from the bakery section of our supermarket or the Asian food store. The advantage of ginger is that you can eat as much as you like and any time. I eat it even when the ocean is calm, just in case.:D

Edited by Floridiana

I suffer from sea sickness and have as yet never been ill on over 30 cruises, even in rough seas. I use Bonine but was advised by a pharmacist to take half in the morning and half at night. I always wear sea bands to bed also and keep them on all day if it's rough. During rough seas I also take an additional tablet. I do enjoy a glass of wine and have never had a problem while taking the pills with drowsiness.:)

I get sea sick very easily. I can't even ride in the back seat of a car without getting sick. I use the prescription, behind the ear patches, and they work great for me. They last for three days each so, I get a little sleepy the first hour or two. After that I'm fine, and I can take the roughest conditions. You're allowed to drink with them also, or at least I do.

Whilst on a cruise of the caribbean I suffered bad with sea sickness was given tablets which helped loads,but made me sleepy since then I have been on 3 more cruises and just take 3 tablets every day but not to be mixed with alcohol I get very dry mouth and sleepy early,not sure what to do next time take them only if I feel sick or take them to prevent it :D not sure if the sea is rough singapore and china what has others done would like to no if you found anything that helps.

South China Sea can be very rough waters.

Maybe you should consider other kinds of vacation? Deep Ocean Cruising may not be for you.

Have you considered River Cruising instead? Usually calmer waters for those kind of people susceptible to effects of motion sickness.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Druggest told me to get the patches that go behind your ear. You need a prescription from your Doctor. They last 3 days so you don't have to pop pills everyday and aren't cheap but worth it.