AT&T cruise plan

I have ordered the ATT cruise plan that includes 50 minutes of talk time... I understand the text messages are free for incoming and 50 cents for each one I send. Do I just turn off my iMessages and turn off data roaming? Also, what happens if someone sends me a picture? Is it still free to receive?

I have ordered the ATT cruise plan that includes 50 minutes of talk time... I understand the text messages are free for incoming and 50 cents for each one I send. Do I just turn off my iMessages and turn off data roaming? Also, what happens if someone sends me a picture? Is it still free to receive?

I'd turn off cellular data entirely, however you would need cellular data (WiFi won't work) to receive MMS (texts with pictures) messages.

I'd turn off cellular data entirely, however you would need cellular data (WiFi won't work) to receive MMS (texts with pictures) messages.

Turning data roaming off is sufficient. I can't say for sure it will work on the ship's cellular but with data roaming off and cellular data on, my wife was able to send and receive mms messages when we were in Europe.

This can be very confusing so I would suggest that you call ATT and run all your how tos and what ifs by them. They will explain exactly what mode to put your phone in, when to do it and all the other details.

We used ours only for texting and calling back home and it worked fine.... most of the time. There were times when it took hours for the texts to reach the other end and also times when we didn't have a cellular at sea signal for long stretches of time. I don't know if this was just a glitch with the Quantum or not.

Also make sure you check your next phone bill carefully. Supposedly because our cruise was in between our billing statement periods we were double charged for the cruise plan. A phone call to ATT took care of it. Otherwise we had no extra charges for our phone use on the cruise.