Suites, Spas and Signature Sailings - a Q & A with Celebrity!

Cruise Critic Chris

We'll ditto again, except when travelling with my mother. We have no choice except sky suite next to her. Top Whack. Surely it is not beyond the ken of man to design a full suite that can be accessible. Hubby has a good recognition as a designer - If celebrity is remotely watching. You can hide a lot from normal. And as I said, if you are making such differential between mini suite and full, well, I am surprised that they are not making the most. But then again the accessible cabins have lacked any imagination to be able to play all ways....!!!!!???????

Bernie

Have you ever contacted Celebrity's special needs department about this? The higher-end suites we have cruised in [RS & PH on M-class ships plus PH on S-class ships] go a long way towards being accessible - wide doors, walk in showers. Some of the accessibility facilities lacking could probably be added with temporary equipment. I have never seen this discussed on Cruise Critic and, clearly, have no understand of your mother's needs but it may be that ships carry the equipment that would make a higher-end suite accessible for her. Just a thought.

If they do not carry such equipment or that the suites would still not be suitable for your mother, Celebrity are unlikely to consider making higher-end suites accessible unless they understand that there is a demand for them.

Edited by Project_gal

Bernie

Have you ever contacted Celebrity's special needs department about this? The higher-end suites we have cruised in [RS & PH on M-class ships plus PH on S-class ships] go a long way towards being accessible - wide doors, walk in showers. Some of the accessibility facilities lacking could probably be added with temporary equipment. I have never seen this discussed on Cruise Critic and, clearly, have no understand of your mother's needs but it may be that ships carry the equipment that would make a higher-end suite accessible for her. Just a thought.

If they do not carry such equipment or that the suites would still not be suitable for your mother, Celebrity are unlikely to consider making higher-end suites accessible unless they understand that there is a demand for them.

Thanks Project_gal, We have looked at the higher end suites and we are always in touch with the special needs dept. Trouble is, mother always travels with us and so it is difficult to take a punt as we don't have a chance to do a physical reccie. But I totally get where you are coming from. I also know that often the accessible S2s end up as the guarantee's worst hope!

Trouble is they (as in accessible rooms), always look and feel so clinical and often, I suspect, you will have a wheelchair partner there, with a non wheelchair partner or companion that has 'to suffer' low basins, storage etc for example. My question is, should you not be able to cater for all, without what may be seem to some as a demonstrably detracting environment and yet to others as the only way they can go on a cruise?

I think this is coming from a sense of frustration that no one seems to want to grasp the nettle. This issue of accessible cabins, won't appeal to those that think that there is no problem and for those that it is, well, they are in the minority, so, no problem. But we can have design solutions that are silent for the majority, they won't notice, yet provide for the minority a win-win from Insides to Suite.

I ask that Celebrity think about this for the new builds - Think out of the Box - Innovate. You might find what works for the minority, the majority might like! Modern Luxury = Inclusive Luxury.

Bernie

PS I am fortunate to be on S2s next cruise and I know this is a minority whinge, probably more directed at the full suites issue, but the bathrooms in particular, of acessibles, across the cruise lines, leave much to be desired in terms of design and general aesthetics.

I realize that the chat is now over...but wondered if I had missed this:

I saw in the FAQ that X is planning on rolling out a set of spa-related perks for suite-class passengers. Has anyone heard anything new on this? I'm honeymooning on the last Millie sailing Northbound to Alaska in Millie sailing '15, and thought that using the Persian Garden might be really nice for us.

I realize that the chat is now over...but wondered if I had missed this:

I saw in the FAQ that X is planning on rolling out a set of spa-related perks for suite-class passengers. Has anyone heard anything new on this? I'm honeymooning on the last Millie sailing Northbound to Alaska in Millie sailing '15, and thought that using the Persian Garden might be really nice for us.

Despite the title, this topic did not come up during the session. In fact, a number of questions asked were totally unrelated to the subject matter.

Since the session, I have read one report on Cruise Critic of someone being offered free access to the Persian Garden. Other than that, I do not recall Spa benefits being discussed at all. It would seem, from the perspective of reading reviews and comments on Cruise Critic, that either a number of "discretionary" suite perks are being offered [it would be a shame if we are going back to the practice of discretionary perks] or that various perks are being trialled on different sailings [which would tie in with Celebrity's hints that further suite perks are being considered].

You do not say which type of suite you have booked. There is probably more chance of access to the Persian Garden being offered if you are in a higher-end suite. However, our next sailing is on Millennium and I cannot recall having read of any discretionary perks being offered on her sailings.

Apologies. I should have made clear that I'm in a Royal Suite. I'll be on my honeymoon, and only my second cruise. The last was when I was 8.

I wasn't sure if you were saying that you didn't remember the reference from the FAQ - and I did want to confirm that the item IS in the current FAQ. I should have said 'wellness' as that seems to be how X is referring to it. That might be to give separation between the X 'Wellness' experiences and 'Spa' experiences, to be provided at a cost by Canyon Ranch SPA.

So here is the passage that I referred to, for the sake of its inclusion in the conversation:

"

Will wellness amenities provided to our Aqua Class guests be provided to Suite Class guests upon request (access to Persian Garden,

wellness programs, etc.)?

We are in the process of developing special wellness packages that will be available to our Suite Class guests. As soon as they become

available, we will announce them and provide information via our website, call centers and travel partners.

"

from: http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Apologies. I should have made clear that I'm in a Royal Suite. I'll be on my honeymoon, and only my second cruise. The last was when I was 8.

I wasn't sure if you were saying that you didn't remember the reference from the FAQ - and I did want to confirm that the item IS in the current FAQ. I should have said 'wellness' as that seems to be how X is referring to it. That might be to give separation between the X 'Wellness' experiences and 'Spa' experiences, to be provided at a cost by Canyon Ranch SPA.

So here is the passage that I referred to, for the sake of its inclusion in the conversation:

"

Will wellness amenities provided to our Aqua Class guests be provided to Suite Class guests upon request (access to Persian Garden,

wellness programs, etc.)?

We are in the process of developing special wellness packages that will be available to our Suite Class guests. As soon as they become

available, we will announce them and provide information via our website, call centers and travel partners.

"

from: http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

OK, so I missed that reference but, if you had read it, I am not sure why you are asking. This thread includes the whole "conversation".

I was only asking since X alluded to an update - and I knew that I hadn't seen any further info on the subject - wondered if I'd (hopefully) missed something as far as info on 'wellness' inclusions.

Celebrity published the FAQ as a sales tool for agents more than a public document. If it's on there I would expect it is available. If you're not provided something listed on the FAQ it's just ask the MC Concierge and would be surprised if it was not provided. There is w report here of a cruiser in an RS who was given Persian Garden access. The other parts of Aqua Spa wellness programs are water and television based "fitness" routines which have a debatae benefit especially in Aqua class where there isn't much room to actually do them.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

• 4 weeks later...