Getaway Miami- car rental question

DrNora

I remember seeing this info many times when I didn't need it. Now that I do, I can't find it!

We are sailing on Getaway. Flying in to FLL, renting a car and then taking the kids on a tour of University of Miami . At present we are returning the car to MIA and then taking a shuttle to our hotel.

Is there a car rental facility more convenient to the port, or does anyone who has rented a car have advice for us? We don't mind keeping the car overnight.

Thanks

Nora

Yes, there are a few different car rental places downtown that offer shuttles to the port. When we stayed at a hotel near Bayside Marketplace, my husband returned our rental car early Saturday morning, then walked back to our hotel to gather us and our luggage, so we didn't actually use the shuttle that time. Another time we actually returned it and did take the shuttle to port. I think Thrifty and Hertz are downtown, and maybe one other. You'd have to look at their websites.

I remember seeing this info many times when I didn't need it. Now that I do, I can't find it!

We are sailing on Getaway. Flying in to FLL, renting a car and then taking the kids on a tour of University of Miami . At present we are returning the car to MIA and then taking a shuttle to our hotel.

Is there a car rental facility more convenient to the port, or does anyone who has rented a car have advice for us? We don't mind keeping the car overnight.

Thanks

Nora

I know that Alamo and National (I believe several others as well) have shutles that run from MIA to the port. Very easy, if you're staying closer to the airport, to drop the car and shuttle to the port.

I did the one-way drop to the Miami Airport using National and the experience was excellent. If you use them, you would drop off the car on the ground level of the relatively new airport car rental center. After you drop off the car, take the elevator to the top of facility (the parking deck for the rental center, the elevator is pretty close to the drop off point) to pick-up the shuttle, which is actually a bus with plenty of room for luggage. The bus will have large Alamo/National car rental logos on each side. Be sure to have your car rental paperwork available to show the driver. The bus driver will ask what cruise ship/line and drop you directly off in front of the ship.

If you decide to rent a car on your return, you would pick-up the bus directly in front of the ship; again have your paperwork ready. Both legs for me were great with very little hassle.

FYI - I had originally booked Hertz for my trip, but discovered later that Hertz did not have a shuttle from the airport. They do have a location downtown that will shuttle you, but I had received mixed reviews on the experience with Hertz.

We booked Avis and shuttle pick up at Port of Miami to rent a car from Sat after cruise until drop off at FLL Sunday night. My question is: if we walk off, what time should the Avis shuttle pick us up? I currently scheduled 9:00... no idea if it's too late or early. Thanks for your advice,

We recently rented from Hertz who has a downtown drop off location which would be convenient to IC, Holiday inn, and Yve (formerly B2 ) as well as the Port. After returning our car they shuttled us to our hotel for free and then the next morning to the Port for a small charge! Great service!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app