Passport needed for this cruise

Dectwins06

I was reading through the boards and now questioning myself. The cruise leaves from Puerto Rico and ends in Port Canaveral visiting St Thomas and St Maarten. A poster said since not closed loop we need a passport? I was thinking since Puerto Rico was a US Territory and ends in US that we didn't? If so-I better get on it!!!

I think they changed it, as long as you begin and end in a US port, you do not need a passport. I think it's on the FAQ now that it says "the same or another US port." Puerto Rico is a US territory, therefore a US port.

Edited by jplemt

I think they changed it, as long as you begin and end in a US port, you do not need a passport. I think it's on the FAQ now that it says "the same or another US port." Puerto Rico is a US territory, therefore a US port.

Can you cite a location where you find this because it is not phrased like that on the State Department web page...

""Closed-Loop" Cruises: If you are a U.S. citizen, and you board a cruise ship at a U.S. port, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship,...

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport. ***Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin and end in the same or a different U.S. port, travelling with a passport may help to expedite your CBP clearance upon return to the U.S.*** Additionally, passports are required in the event you need to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the WHTI compliant documents, listed below. ***Additionally, the same document requirements apply when taking a cruise that begins and ends in a different U.S. port.***

•Valid U.S. Passport

•Passport Card

•Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.

•Original Certificate of Naturalization

•Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

•Enhanced Tribal Card

•A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) – only acceptable at land and sea ports of entry. It cannot be used for air travel outside the U.S. The word ‘Enhanced’ must appear on the driver’s license. The following five states currently issue an EDL: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.

Copies of U.S. passports and naturalization papers, hospital and baptismal certificates are not WHTI compliant documents, therefore, are NOT acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship that is accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo identification with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact VisaCentral at http://www.visacentral.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100. Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.

Straight from the Carnival Travel Documents FAQ.

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport. ***Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin and end in the same or a different U.S. port, travelling with a passport may help to expedite your CBP clearance upon return to the U.S.*** Additionally, passports are required in the event you need to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

Actually, this is the correct answer.

Is there a need for both passport and passport card? We have never had either and have no clue about it. It has been 10 yrs since our last cruise and want passorts for future cruises.

Edited by S.C.

So we do NOT need one? On the US Customs and border control website it actually says this:

"Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," meaning they begin and end at the same port in the U.S. For instance, if you board a cruise ship at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and after visiting at least one foreign port of call, such as Bermuda, or Cancun, return back to Fort Lauderdale, you have taken a closed loop cruise.

If, on the other hand, you - say - board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise and the following information does not apply to you. As of June 1, 2009 you need a passport (including infants)."

Is there a need for both passport and passport card? We have never had either and have no clue about it. It has been 10 yrs since our last cruise and want passorts for future cruises.

No, there is no need for both unless your travel needs justify the expense. The passport card may be used for land and sea points of entry but may not be used for international air travel, the passport itself is good for all international travel.

I know that CCL's FAQ says that a passport is not necessary but this flies in the face of what the DHS regulations say and what is posted on the CBP website, so I am leery of it. You could use a passport card or Enhanced Drivers License for this cruise.

I know that CCL's FAQ says that a passport is not necessary but this flies in the face of what the DHS regulations say and what is posted on the CBP website, so I am leery of it. You could use a passport card or Enhanced Drivers License for this cruise.

I know-have called a few times and they all say the same thing..that one is not needed. They must have an exemption??

No a passport isn't needed....but being a constant traveler I would heartily recommend one. I'm not a fan of carrying an original birth certificate around...when you really need it it may have gone poof. And a drivers license relates your home address...an open invitation to thieves. With a passport, which is easily replaced if lost, you have a lot of peace of mind and it works wonderful as proof of identification without giving out information a thief can use.

Have a good trip...

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

No a passport isn't needed....but being a constant traveler I would heartily recommend one. I'm not a fan of carrying an original birth certificate around...when you really need it it may have gone poof. And a drivers license relates your home address...an open invitation to thieves. With a passport, which is easily replaced if lost, you have a lot of peace of mind and it works wonderful as proof of identification without giving out information a thief can use.

Have a good trip...

Oh I agree with you 100%-I have them for me and all three of my young children as we go on a lot of cruises and travel other countries, etc. it's someone travelling with me that never travels! LOL..

So we do NOT need one? On the US Customs and border control website it actually says this:

"Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," meaning they begin and end at the same port in the U.S. For instance, if you board a cruise ship at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and after visiting at least one foreign port of call, such as Bermuda, or Cancun, return back to Fort Lauderdale, you have taken a closed loop cruise.

If, on the other hand, you - say - board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise and the following information does not apply to you. As of June 1, 2009 you need a passport (including infants)."

The line in red is referring to the Panama Canal cruise, not cruises in general.

I just checked the Code of Federal Regulations and it still limits the passport exception to closed-loop cruises. There could be something in the works that has not been formally codified in the CFR yet, but I'm not aware of it.

I do know that DHS and the State Department can waive the passport requirements, and they have in the past for cruises that became non-closed-loop due to weather or mechanical failures.

Have a good trip...

Birth certificates and drivers licenses are easy to replace and cost less to do so. There are thieves out there, of that there is no doubt, but personally I'm not that worried about it. And while you are a constant traveler not everyone is, so their documentation needs may be different.

No, there is no need for both unless your travel needs justify the expense. The passport card may be used for land and sea points of entry but may not be used for international air travel, the passport itself is good for all international travel.

Thank you!

Wow, people make stuff up like crazy. In October when we left San Juan and ended in Miami, we did not need a passport. The person who suggested you'd need a passport to start in California and end in Florida is really confused. There's no such cruise. It's a violation of the Jones Act. Please don't provide people misinformation.

Carnival Destiny 2010

Carnival Liberty 2013

Carnival Victory 2013

Carnival Sensation B2B 2014

Carnival Splendor B2B 2014

Carnival Liberty 2015

Wow, people make stuff up like crazy. In October when we left San Juan and ended in Miami, we did not need a passport. The person who suggested you'd need a passport to start in California and end in Florida is really confused. There's no such cruise. It's a violation of the Jones Act. Please don't provide people misinformation.

Pot meets kettle? You're providing misinformation in your post. It isn't the Jones Act. It is the Passenger Vessel Services Act. You can sail from California to Florida. All that is required to make the transit legal is stopping at a distant foreign port.

It would only be the Jones Act if you were transporting cargo.

Edited by Pixelate

Carnival Destiny 2010

Carnival Liberty 2013

Carnival Victory 2013

Carnival Liberty 2015

Ft Lauderdale, FL - Los Angeles, CA is a typical itin for Panama Canal cruise.

OP-when in doubt get a passport.

Carnival Destiny 2010

Carnival Liberty 2013

Carnival Victory 2013

Carnival Liberty 2015

Umm..I did NOT make this up! This was copied and pasted directly from the US Border and Customs Website! They were giving examples and according to them you do but there must be exemptions. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

Sorry to tell you but there most certainly are cruises that start in California and end in Florida, see below a Princess Cruise itinerary. Who's the one giving wrong information? Lol

15 Days Transcanal/Panama Canal

Princess Cruises • Island Princess

Los Angeles, Puerto Quetzal, Puntarenas, Fuerte Amador, Panama Canal, Cartagena, Aruba, Fort Lauderdale

1 departure date: Mar 6 2015

Edited by bartamus2002

Carnival Destiny 2010

Carnival Liberty 2013

Carnival Victory 2013

Carnival Liberty 2015

Are you trying to be funny or maybe ironic? You are complaining about people making stuff up and posting misinformation and then you do the same thing. The Jones Act is for cargo ships only. In addition, it is not a violation of the act that does cover passenger vessels as long as you stop in a distant foreign port during this hypothetical cruse from San Diego to Miami. So the only person who is confused and posting misinformation appears to be you. To get back to the OP's question, we sailed on the Conquest repositioning cruise in 2013 that began in San Juan and ended in Miami without a passport.

Edited by Big Tillie