Help with 2 days after cruise - Seward/Achorage

azmaui

Hi,

We will be cruising on RC Vancouver-Seward. I am trying to plan 2-3 days after cruise.

Our group: me (40 years old, active) and my parents (seniors, not as active but love exploring)

Interests: scenery, glaciers

We arrive in Seward on June 5 and can stay till June 7 or 8 (didn't buy plane ticket yet, want to plan what we are doing first!)

Here is what I am thinking

Day 1 - Kenai fjord cruise and overnight in Seward (any suggestions where to stay? Holiday Inn express is full). I am a bit concerned if the all day cruise will be comfortable for my parents...

Day 2 - Here is where I have problem. Car or train? What to do on the way?Have been reading everyone loving the train Seward - Anchorage but maybe car rental would be a way to go?

Train it gives us most of the day in Seward - not really sure what we would do there without a car

Car - are we missing on not taking a train? Or is the scenery similar? This would allow us for exit glacier stop on a way. Any other not to be missed sights on a way? Or around Anchorage?

Day 3 - Plane home at 1:30 pm (just explore Anchorage in the morning) or stay an extra day and fly home next day if we come up with something to do around Anchorage (any scenic areas near by not to be missed?)

I would appreciate any ideas, thank you! Everyone's feedback on this forum has been amazing and so helpful in planning our trip!

What kind of lodging do you require? If you want a chain hotel ... the Best Western is at the other end of town from the HI at the harbor. It has waterfront view rooms as well, and is almost next door to the SeaLife Center. From the harbor it's a $7 cab ride, 1 miles walk along the waterfront trail, or free town shuttle. Otherwise, there are some small hotels, and lots of B&B's and cabins. Check out the town web site ( trip reports for first hand recommendations). Send for the free guide. http://www.seward.com/

The Kenai cruise boats are 'comfortable' ... inside and outside seating, heat, a head, drinks, snacks. Even on a good day there's a short rough stretch where the boat enters the Gulf of Alaska. On a bad day you could be miserable for the whole trip if you're prone to motion sickness and don't have meds.

As for things to do on day 2 if you take the train ... SeaLife Center, walk the trail to watch for bald eagles, otters playing off shore, lots of boat traffic and great views across the Bay, wander around the harbor to watch the catches come in, Exit Glacier shuttle, or rent a car for the day and explore the area. Cooper Landing is an hour away and quite fascinating if salmon are running and there's combat fishing going on. We usually have lunch at the Kenai Princess, the lounge overlooks the Kenai River.

I've always driven between Anc and Seward so I have no first hand experience about the train. From what I've seen and read in many trip reports and photo journal, there's a section of the trip that doesn't parallel the hwy and this section offers wonderful glacier views. i always enjoy the drive and stop at the same places every time ... Potters Marsh boardwalk, Wildlife Center, Alyeska , Windy Ridge for sheep spotting. Williwaw, Portage LAke (and Summit Lake Lodge for ice cream.)

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

If you rent a car, instead of overnighting in Anc on day 2, maybe stay in Girdwood? about 40 minutes from the airport. Or if you overnight in Anc, stop by Earthquake Park, see the Visitor Center downtown. You don't have much time ... for a 1:30 you need to be at the airport by 11:15am in order to check in the car and get to your ticket counter.

If you stay an extra day there's plenty to see and do around Anc.

http://www.anchorage.net/ak/summer-activities

Edited by mapleleaves

Wow, thank you mapleleaves!!! Lots to think about. I am leaning towards renting a car to be able to visit places you suggested.

Hotel in Seward - just looking for a clean place to sleep at good location. Would be nice to be able to walk places. Nothing fancy as we won't hang out there.

Girdwood looks like a great alternative! Would you suggest Alyeska resort?

Seward does have a limited shuttle service, but cabs are also easy to get and not expensive due to the short distances.

I usually stay at the Marina which is at the end of town. The Harborview is another popular basic hotel.

Which ever you pick, train or car, you are missing the other, so with your posts, leaning toward a car- I would at least suggest you reserve this now. Easy to cancel if needed.

There is plenty a car would offer you. Only taking your post at face value- with a glacier priority mention, if would be "essential" to include a Prince William Sound boat tour. :) (for me there is no- "too many boat tours" in Alaska, they are spectacular), at the least do a stop of the Portage Glacier visitor center.

With Kenai Fjords boat tours, you need at least 6 hours on the water. If at all prone to motion sickness, take precautions- essential. :)

With Anchorage airport, you do need to allow a 2 hour window, so really no time for anything before you leave. Adding the extra day would be my only choice. :)

Sorry, but I typically camp ( tent or RV) so I don't have much lodging experience. In Seward we got soaked in a storm and moved to Murphys Hotel. It was nice, reasonable price and only a couple of blocks from the harbor. Yrs ago we stayed at the Marina .. it was ok but I assume it's been renovated since then.

The Bears Den B&B has gotten great reviews in trip reports ... only a block from the harbor.

Haven't stayed in Girdwood. I can recommend the Bake Shop tho! The Alyeska is well reviewed in trip reports if you want a large hotel complex. Hidden Creek B&B is also well reviewed.

Check out the options from the Chamber of Commerce

http://www.girdwoodchamber.com/Home/

Hi,

Day 2 - Here is where I have problem. Car or train? What to do on the way?Have been reading everyone loving the train Seward - Anchorage but maybe car rental would be a way to go?

Train it gives us most of the day in Seward - not really sure what we would do there without a car

Car - are we missing on not taking a train? Or is the scenery similar? This would allow us for exit glacier stop on a way. Any other not to be missed sights on a way? Or around Anchorage?

!

The drive from Seward to Anchorage is one of the most glorious drives in the United States. Wonderful scenery that you can stop and look at. A glacier. The Alaska Wildlife Sanctuary. Turnagain Arm with wonderful water views. Birds. Maybe mountain sheep. Indian River Meats where you can get great jerky and smoked fish. Potter's Marsh with it abundant birds. All of these demand that you get out of your car and look and appreciate what you are seeing. You could easily spend several days drinking in the sights between these locations.

You will get none of this on the train. You may go past these sights but you can not stop and drink them in.

Lets talk costs. The cost of the train trip will be $90 per person minimum or $270 total. A one way car rental may cost as much or more since the drop off costs are high. However, you get to experience the scenery and the places to see as they are meant to be seen instead of whizzing past them non-stop on a train.

Do yourself a favor. Drive. Do not take the train. You will not regret it. BTW - there are lots of links to the drive if you do a Google search on it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I agree with DonaldSC..get a car and drive! Since you will have the time, make the drive on Seward Highway. There are many places to pull over, and you won't regret it.

In Seward, the BW is a good place with free breakfast, but in June you might get stuck parking in a lot about 3 blocks away. The drive out to Exit Glacier is very pretty also.

Would it be redundant to do both car/train? We were planning on 2 nights in Anchorage and renting a car to drive to wildlife center, Girdwood, stopping in between for sites for the day. Then planning on taking the train to Seward to board our ship the next day.

Thanks Don - I have been watching this tread - we are traveling from Anchorage to Seward and I think I will cancel the train and just keep the rental car.

GertieginSC

Not sure, if you already have reserved a one way car with Hertz, but, if you currently have a round trip Anchorage car booked- before you cancel that, you may want to look at the cost differences. It can be cheaper to have two rentals, with not taking a lot of time to turn in and pick up a new rental car, in Anchorage.

We spent 5 days in Seward last June, staying at a wonderful B&B (the Adams Street B&B) about a mile from the harbor, and less than a 1/4 mile from the Sea Life Center and downtown. The town museum (worth an hour or so) was a block away.

If you have time and can get to Exit Glacier, there's a neat (and reasonably strenuous) hike up to the edge of the Harding Ice Field up above Exit Glacier (there are also shorter hikes). In early June last year, there was still snow for the last mile and a half. Depending on when you're going (and the weather this spring), it could be clear all the way up. Here's a short vid of the view at the top:

Don't let the wind throw you. It was a reasonably mild day.

I've got a bunch of pictures of the Seward/Kenai area and the drive to Anchorage, along with a few other videos, if you're interested in those links.

Edited by azevedan

Would it be redundant to do both car/train? We were planning on 2 nights in Anchorage and renting a car to drive to wildlife center, Girdwood, stopping in between for sites for the day. Then planning on taking the train to Seward to board our ship the next day.

I guess the question to ask yourself, is what you are doing, is it enough? With your backtracking, in some cases that could be eating up valuable time. Were you interested in Activities in Seward? Absolute gem in my opinion. IF the 2 days is your total time, for some, putting one of those nights in Seward is a significant benefit.

It can also be the train is a priority? It is the most scenic segment of the Alaska RR. But again- you are extremely short on time and the first section is the exact same as your prior day by road. If you have some interests in Seward activities then driving there is of benefit in time.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks for all the great advice! Wish I asked sooner... Sounds like I should be doing Prince William Sound cruise, not kenai fjords (as glaciers are priority, I am lucky to see whales a lot at home).

Also car rental is not available on the day we disembark :-(

So I am thinking of hanging out in Seward for a day and staying a night, then rent a car following day and take all day to head towards Anchorage with a stop for a PWS cruise.

I guess the question to ask yourself, is what you are doing, is it enough? With your backtracking, in some cases that could be eating up valuable time. Were you interested in Activities in Seward? Absolute gem in my opinion. IF the 2 days is your total time, for some, putting one of those nights in Seward is a significant benefit.

It can also be the train is a priority? It is the most scenic segment of the Alaska RR. But again- you are extremely short on time and the first section is the exact same as your prior day by road. If you have some interests in Seward activities then driving there is of benefit in time.

Thank you so much for the advice, Budget Queen. We've decided to stay one night in Anchorage and catch the early morning train to Seward (train is a priority) and stay 2 nights prior to our cruise. Seems like there is a lot to do to keep us plenty busy there. My partner is interested in shore fishing (not boat fishing) and wondering if you could recommend where I could get info on pole rentals, locations to fish, licenses ect. Also, will it be necessary to rent a car in Seward if we want to visit Exit Glacier, Sealife Center and downtown? Was thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn Express. Greatly appreciate all your assistance! [emoji1]

Thanks for all the great advice! Wish I asked sooner... Sounds like I should be doing Prince William Sound cruise, not kenai fjords (as glaciers are priority, I am lucky to see whales a lot at home).

Also car rental is not available on the day we disembark :-(

So I am thinking of hanging out in Seward for a day and staying a night, then rent a car following day and take all day to head towards Anchorage with a stop for a PWS cruise.

for clairfication the Kenai Fjords boat tours are varied wildlife, with my stats only about 50% success of seeing whales- including both/either humpbacks and orcas. There is a lot more that is possible to be seen.

The Prince William Sound boat tours will require you to be through the 11:30a tunnel at the latest. I would suggest a three hour window with leaving Seward.

Thank you so much for the advice, Budget Queen. We've decided to stay one night in Anchorage and catch the early morning train to Seward (train is a priority) and stay 2 nights prior to our cruise. Seems like there is a lot to do to keep us plenty busy there. My partner is interested in shore fishing (not boat fishing) and wondering if you could recommend where I could get info on pole rentals, locations to fish, licenses ect. Also, will it be necessary to rent a car in Seward if we want to visit Exit Glacier, Sealife Center and downtown? Was thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn Express. Greatly appreciate all your assistance! [emoji1]

I don't fish. :) And my family always goes out on charters.

You might want to check with Miller's Landing or contact the visitor center http://www.skagway.com about fishing from shore

A car would be of benefit, allowing you to get to fishing areas perhaps, and especially if you choose to use Miller's Landing which is south of town. It would use your short time efficiently especially with you going to Exit Glacier and the Sealife Center. Reserve the car now, they are easy to just cancel if you change your mind.

I don't fish. :) And my family always goes out on charters.

You might want to check with Miller's Landing or contact the visitor center http://www.skagway.com about fishing from shore

A car would be of benefit, allowing you to get to fishing areas perhaps, and especially if you choose to use Miller's Landing which is south of town. It would use your short time efficiently especially with you going to Exit Glacier and the Sealife Center. Reserve the car now, they are easy to just cancel if you change your mind.

Thanks again for all the information. [emoji4]