NCL Experts? I sure could use your advice!

Samiam997

Hello All,

I have spent the last week reading on here and searching out the right cruise ship/itinerary/cabin for my family. You are ALL so amazing! Wow, what a community.

A little background. My husband and I last cruised almost 19 years ago. So much has changed!

And since then, we've had a son who's 17 and I've been diagnosed with a neurological disease. I don't need adaptive equipment, wheelchair, etc, but it does affect the way I feel. I live with severe pain, almost daily.

We started looking into our usual Spring Break go to, the rented condo/beachhouse. And began thinking about what we wanted from our vacation. I've had a particularly painful year. My husband has had a particular stressful year at work. Our son is stressing about college and, well, as you remember, high school's usual challenges.

So, we're looking to completely relax. And we remembered our first cruise. Complete relaxation, everything taken care of, naps every afternoon, good food, well, you know or you wouldn't be here!

We also know that cruises give opportunity for my son to have the active vacation and many changes of scenery that he loves while offering me opportunity to rest as I need to according to my symptoms.

I know, long long story, but I thought it would be helpful to know our bigger picture.

So, what would you choose?

* The 9 day NCL Gem out of New York staying in a Penthouse 2 bedroom. This would give me a retreat if I needed to, plus give us all space to move around. And some suite perks.

or

* A smaller, mini-suite/balcony with aft facing balcony on the Getaway out of Miami.

Seems like the Getaway offers more to do for the son and the hubs, and me, if I'm feeling up to it. More restaurants? Better entertainment?

I want to make sure I fully understand this and so, here I am, experts. If you need clarification, let me know.

I so appreciate your time.

Thank you,

Elizabeth

I've always found that while a bigger/nicer room is REALLY appealing when booking the trip, once actually on the ship, it doesn't make a huge difference. With both options you mentioned, you'll have a private balcony to enjoy the fresh air and the view.

Some questions you should ask yourself in regards to the type of room to get:

- how much does it matter to you to be able to have your own private place verses relaxing in a lounge or any other public area?

- Would you rather spend more money on a room, or more money on the cruise itself (excursions, food, drinks etc). the hundreds of dollars in price difference between different levels of stateroom would pay for a LOT of those activities.

- have you discussed the options with your son and husband? the difference in ports of call can make a big difference as to how enjoyale the trip is.. again this depends on what they enjoy doing (laying on a beach vs hiking vs shopping vs diving/snorkling etc). different ports have a different array of options available.

I think you made a great choice to consider cruising. It provides a wonderful opportunity to do what you want and to see many places with very low effort involved.

I don't qualify as any kind of NCL expert, but in looking at the mini-suite on Getaway, I think you would have ample space to 'retreat; on your large balcony. And I think Getaway would have more to keep a teen occupied than Gem. But I also understand that his attending the teen club and making friends is the most important ingredient in him having a good time.

I think you should repost this on the NCL board here at CC, where more people will see it. EM

Is that 2 bedroom in The Haven? Honestly, I would not blink twice. You've had a stressful year. Even if it's not Haven ... you want the suite life for stress free. You'll have more to do on the Getaway but a more relaxing time on the Gem in a suite. Less worries about reserving shows/ dinner, and you'll have concierge service. For what you want , this is no question for me .. gem. If you can swing the Haven, even better.

I would go with the Suite life on NCL Gem. We tried the Suite life on NCL Jade (2bedroom penthouse, non-haven) and it was really awesome. I think you need this to be completely relaxed.

We LOVED the Cagney's breakfast and lunch perk. So wonderful.

I think I'll let my videos do the talking.

2bedroom suite

[YOUTUBE]POIy0VzgXGw[/YOUTUBE]

Cagney's Lunch

[YOUTUBE]jgLddY6LzvQ[/YOUTUBE]

You are all so wonderful, thanks.

Well, my washer AND dryer made the decision for me, lol. They both died within a day of each other. What are the odds?

So, we bought new ones and booked an aft balcony, deck 9, on the Getaway.

Weather permitting, I should find my haven, pun intended, on the balcony. And maybe we'll be able to upgrade.

AND, because of your wise words, we're looking at another cruise later in the year.

This community of folks is just amazing. I've learned so much. Thank you again.

Is that 2 bedroom in The Haven? Honestly, I would not blink twice. You've had a stressful year. Even if it's not Haven ... you want the suite life for stress free. You'll have more to do on the Getaway but a more relaxing time on the Gem in a suite. Less worries about reserving shows/ dinner, and you'll have concierge service. For what you want , this is no question for me .. gem. If you can swing the Haven, even better.

I second the motion! You and your husband deserve it after a bad year. Your son can find lots to do onboard while you relax.