Gift exchange ideas

cantwait4

I'm preparing for our upcoming one, and our roll call thread has some good ideas which suggest bringing something regional from your area of the world/country. These aren't meant to be expensive keepsakes. Being from Canada, I might bring maple syrup, or some Niagara Falls touristy items. Not sure yet.

Sometimes our group has decided the gift could be cruise related. One person made up a photo book of the ship and the ports we were visiting. I made crown and anchor coasters. Someone else gave a nice flashlight with a magnet. There were some clever gifts.

Food from your local area is great; only suggestion would be to avoid liquids larger than 3oz. At our last gift exchange we got something too large to carry on our flight and too potentially messy to put in out checked bag ;) It wasn't something we could consume onboard (flavored cooking oil) so we had to leave it behind. I felt bad but we really didn't want to risk it in our luggage :eek:

The worst gift exchange that I went to was the one where the organizer kept telling people to go to the dollar store and pick up stuff. I got a bunch of kids toys and junk from the dollar store - I left it all for the cabin steward! If you're going to participate in the gift exchange, make sure that your gift is something that you would enjoy getting, too!

On our last cruise, I got a book of Scottish recipes and a unique kitchen tool from Scotland (and yes, there is a recipe for haggis!) - obviously from some people from Scotland. I was thrilled!

The worst gift exchange that I went to was the one where the organizer kept telling people to go to the dollar store and pick up stuff. I got a bunch of kids toys and junk from the dollar store - I left it all for the cabin steward! If you're going to participate in the gift exchange, make sure that your gift is something that you would enjoy getting, too!

On our last cruise, I got a book of Scottish recipes and a unique kitchen tool from Scotland (and yes, there is a recipe for haggis!) - obviously from some people from Scotland. I was thrilled!

If you don't want the junk... why leave it for your cabin steward?

If you don't want the junk... why leave it for your cabin steward?

It was junk to me - my kids are grown. It was dollar store toys, etc. that I thought that my steward would either be able to give to his family or give to someone else. Would it have been better to throw it away? I don't think so.

We did a gift exchange and had a ball. Some of the gifts we had were coffee/cup, calendars, koozies, chocolates, t shirts, tervis cups, nick nacks, and coasters. Every gift came from where they lived. $10 gift. Had it as bring a gift/get a gift.

A nice idea for those travelling towards the end of the year is instead of a gift everyone brings a calendar from their home town or region. This makes it an easy decision as participants know what to bring and everyone can make use of a calendar.

We got one with lovely scenes of Alaska :)

Obviously it won't work if the sailing is earlier in the year ;)

Edited by Bobal

A nice idea for those travelling towards the end of the year is instead of a gift everyone brings a calendar from their home town or region. This makes it an easy decision as participants know what to bring and everyone can make use of a calendar.

We got one with lovely scenes of Alaska :)

Obviously it won't work if the sailing is earlier in the year ;)

Well...it could work a month or two into the year...and the calendars would be cheaper ;)

I have been to only 2 MM and did not do a gift exchange. Do you bring enough for everyone or just one item and everyone swaps? This is a nice idea

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, you only bring one gift. Everyone else brings one gift. Then some method is created for the exchange. You will then leave with one gift, from someone else.

I'm sure the cabin stewards are thrilled when people leave them their junk :D

On the only gift exchange we made the way the organisor had written a story she read while we were standing in a circle. You started with your gift and each time she said right or left, you passed your gift to the person to your right/left.

The theme was something useful for cruise and/or land vacation. We got a first aid kit, very useful.

Have also had gifts from your area as a theme. Also done food and drink, Christmas ornaments, hats, t-shirts, playing cards - all with the same theme of being from your area or country.

A couple more suggestions that have been well received at some of our gift exchanges - calendars, jigsaw puzzles (received a nice one from Australia of the Sydney Opera House), cookbooks, coasters.

As an addition to my earlier post above, I would also suggest asking people to stick with something light or fairly small to pack - many of us that fly to the port are usually very limited on size and weight.

We did a sweet treat party, everyone brought goodies from their area. We also exchanged magnets one year and another time we exchanged shot glasses from our home town or state.

Magnets are fun and you can put them on your cabin door too!

We did a gift exchange on a TA on Celebrity and it was fun. Being from Texas, we brought "Texan" items. I bought a package of wine glass charms with a Texas theme. I also brought a box of chocolates with the Texas Longhorn theme. I didn't buy junk gifts but actually good items. Some people brought what I considered crap while others brought nice things from their local area. We got a gift from someone from Orlando FL so we got a Disney plastic bank which was OK-will give it to a grandkid one day. Hope this helps. Stay away from ball caps or t-shirts. Just my opinion.