MSC Divina with a Toddler?

Celeste548

While searching for Caribbean cruise options in December 2015, I came across a New Year's sailing on Divina. The price is really reasonable and kids sail for free so it looks like a great option. We have sailed on Princess and Holland America (pre-child) and found HA to be tailored to an older crowd and not really a line we would return to - however, sailing with a child, we know we're in for earlier nights and time on the balcony so many of the factors we enjoyed about Princess (lots of entertainment options, for example) won't factor into the decision.

It sounds like they have a spray park and baby play area, which will be important to us.

As past cruisers of the line, what are you thoughts in terms of fit for a family with a little one?

Thank you!

Hello Celeste.

We sailed last year with MSC Preziosa with our 3 years old daughter.

We found it great for all of us. Concerning our daughteer it had a nice children's playground and a grat water zone for her to fool around.

During meal time almost everyone was very kind and tried to "please" her.

We didn't find any particular dificulties moving around.

Edited by Bracarense

Great feedback, thank you - very helpful to know!

Hi there,

How old is your child? Our son was almost 4 when we sailed the Divina and he lovvvvved the kids club. It was open until 10pm nightly, but you can pay 50.00 for the entire cruise and extend those hours until 2am. Also they will take your child to dinner, or pick them up from the dinning room. It was a great great program and we all loved the Divina. I will post some pics and more info later today.

Edited by skyking

Hi there,

How old is your child? Our son was almost 4 when we sailed the Divina and he lovvvvved the kids club. It was open until 10pm nightly, but you can pay 50.00 for the entire cruise and extend those hours until 2am. Also they will take your child to dinner, or pick them up from the dinning room. It was a great great program and we all loved the Divina. I will post some pics and more info later today.

He will be a few months shy of two, so too little for the kids club. But it sounds like between the baby activities, play area and spray park there might be enough to keep him busy.

The more I read from cruisers, the more I'm inclined to give it a try!

While searching for Caribbean cruise options in December 2015, I came across a New Year's sailing on Divina. The price is really reasonable and kids sail for free so it looks like a great option. We have sailed on Princess and Holland America (pre-child) and found HA to be tailored to an older crowd and not really a line we would return to - however, sailing with a child, we know we're in for earlier nights and time on the balcony so many of the factors we enjoyed about Princess (lots of entertainment options, for example) won't factor into the decision.

It sounds like they have a spray park and baby play area, which will be important to us.

As past cruisers of the line, what are you thoughts in terms of fit for a family with a little one?

Thank you!

Hi Celeste,

Having sailed the stunning Divina three times with a toddler, I can most assuredly tell you that it is an EXCELLENT cruise line for a family with a little one. My little guy was 6 months old on his first cruise, a year on the second, and almost two on his third on Divina. We are again cruising the Divina on March 28 and again on New Year's (maybe with you!). The splash area for wee ones is excellent and the baby play area is open all day just for little guys accompanied by their mom and/or dad. They also have a drop-off one hour morning and one hour afternoon free baby care for the under three crowd. The staff goes WAY out of their way to accommodate the kids...I am so impressed with this aspect of Divina. We have also sailed Carnival with my toddler and I think Divina blows them out of the water in terms of care, affection, and genuineness with the babies. I say do it! Then we can meet!

Hi Celeste,

Having sailed the stunning Divina three times with a toddler, I can most assuredly tell you that it is an EXCELLENT cruise line for a family with a little one. My little guy was 6 months old on his first cruise, a year on the second, and almost two on his third on Divina. We are again cruising the Divina on March 28 and again on New Year's (maybe with you!). The splash area for wee ones is excellent and the baby play area is open all day just for little guys accompanied by their mom and/or dad. They also have a drop-off one hour morning and one hour afternoon free baby care for the under three crowd. The staff goes WAY out of their way to accommodate the kids...I am so impressed with this aspect of Divina. We have also sailed Carnival with my toddler and I think Divina blows them out of the water in terms of care, affection, and genuineness with the babies. I say do it! Then we can meet!

Hi Kathie-

Thanks for all of the reassurance! The free baby care sounds lovely, we hadn't planned on that aspect at all. Do you suggest we book a balcony room? I've read on the family boards that is the way to go because you'll be spending a lot of time in your room - do you agree?

Thanks again!

We are also going for the first time with our toddler on a cruise! :) We've been on RCCL, Norwegian, and Carnival so here is to a new ship! Excited and nervous too. I've read the same exact thing...They say balcony so you'll have a place to hang out while they nap and bedtime...We booked an OV. I definitely wouldn't do interior if you can swing it!

We are also going for the first time with our toddler on a cruise! :) We've been on RCCL, Norwegian, and Carnival so here is to a new ship! Excited and nervous too. I've read the same exact thing...They say balcony so you'll have a place to hang out while they nap and bedtime...We booked an OV. I definitely wouldn't do interior if you can swing it!

I agree - did inside once and don't think I could do it again, especially with a little one! I'm convinced, just need to find a reasonable flight from Ohio! Hope your family enjoys the first cruise together. :)

Hi Kathie-

Thanks for all of the reassurance! The free baby care sounds lovely, we hadn't planned on that aspect at all. Do you suggest we book a balcony room? I've read on the family boards that is the way to go because you'll be spending a lot of time in your room - do you agree?

Thanks again!

don't count on it too much I been 4 times on MSC and never seen any info about free baby care or any time baby attendence to kids club. They have some time when you come with your baby to play but not all day and no one will watch your baby for you. I would recomend balcony cabin only! at least you can see some ocean whily your baby is asleep . We started to take our DD to cruise when she was 1 year old ,and I can say that resort vacation is much better and less stress in this age.

don't count on it too much I been 4 times on MSC and never seen any info about free baby care or any time baby attendence to kids club. They have some time when you come with your baby to play but not all day and no one will watch your baby for you. I would recomend balcony cabin only! at least you can see some ocean whily your baby is asleep . We started to take our DD to cruise when she was 1 year old ,and I can say that resort vacation is much better and less stress in this age.

Definitely FREE baby care each sea day from 8-9 a.m. and 5-6 p.m. for infants from birth to three years old. We did it each and every sea day so I can assure you there IS care. Also the baby play area outside is open all day long for moms and their tots for free...no free baby care then but a great place to go play with your little one and meet other moms and tots. HIGHLY recommend a balcony...my guy spent hours out there with his toys playing and when he napped, I sat on the balcony with a good book!

Edited by kathiean

Definitely FREE baby care each sea day from 8-9 a.m. and 5-6 p.m. for infants from birth to three years old. We did it each and every sea day so I can assure you there IS care. Also the baby play area outside is open all day long for moms and their tots for free...no free baby care then but a great place to go play with your little one and meet other moms and tots. HIGHLY recommend a balcony...my guy spent hours out there with his toys playing and when he napped, I sat on the balcony with a good book!

Excellent - thanks for all the great tips!

I believe the max is 4 per room!?! Maybe a suite you can have more? You could always do a mock booking and see what happens. :)

Thank you for the info. It looks like his grandparents are going to suck it up and go so one can stay with us.

The things we do for our children!icon10.gif