Jade with kids

Winston Wolf

We're taking our kids on their first cruise early next year on Disney Fantasy. With the sale going on now, I'm considering booking a trip on Jade out of Houston but am worried that the kids will be bored after sailing on Fantasy. They would be 10 and almost 9 at the time.

Has anyone else been in the same situation? How did it go? Booking Getaway for the same week is $1000 more.

About to do our 5th Disney cruise. Kids love Disney and so do we. There are things Disney does extremely well, esp when it comes to kids. We had problems getting the kids out of the clubs on the Fantasy. Nice problem to have frankly.

Haven't cruised Jade. Did Getaway last summer. Kids spent very little time in the clubs. They loved the waterslides and pool deck. LOVED. One of the first questions we got when leaving the ship was when we could go back on GA. looking at the current sale and would love to book her again but we have the Disney Wonder and the NCL Jewel (Alaska) already booked.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

I'm sweating this one too. When we told my son (will be 15 when we depart Venice) we were doing the Eastern Med his first question was "On Disney?" Our last cruise was to the Western Med on Disney Magic. He's more a gamer and Disney keeps him entertained. We are bringing a friend for him so hopefully there will be enough to keep them entertained.

We have cruised 2 years running on the Jade with two teenagers. The first time my son was 15 and last year he was 16. The first cruise was 7 days, the second 14 days. My daughter is older. On both cruises they managed to find other teenagers and had a great time. They enjoyed themselves so much that we even considered booking it for a third time but have booked the Epic instead. I am sure he will enjoy it! Have a good cruise.

We've gone back and forth between NCL and DCL last being Fantasy. Kids don't have any issues going back and forth - we take each line for what they have to offer and try not to compare.

Our Fantasy trip was fabulous. Jade is nice enough ship so if you have some good ports, focus on what you are doing there. Over the years I've given ports of call activities to kids to pick.

That being said, NCL routes have little interest to us plus the current prices have us booked with a different line in 2016.

BTW - DCL is releasing summer 2016 dates I believe tomorrow. They've added quite a few new routes in Europe.

Edited by dexddd

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone can comment on how their kids like the different levels of kids activities. We are Platinum Disney cruisers with 13, 11, and 8 year old girls. From what I've seen for the Jade, I think my younger and older girls will be fine, but I worry that the middle child will be sort of caught in between with nothing to interest her. If we're cruising Greece in October, I wonder how many kids we should expect. Any thoughts out there?

I wonder if anyone can comment on how their kids like the different levels of kids activities. We are Platinum Disney cruisers with 13, 11, and 8 year old girls. From what I've seen for the Jade, I think my younger and older girls will be fine, but I worry that the middle child will be sort of caught in between with nothing to interest her. If we're cruising Greece in October, I wonder how many kids we should expect. Any thoughts out there?

I don't know the European holidays at that time, but I'd suspect few kids. When we did the Baltics in June a few years ago, there were only 50 kids total. They combined many of the kids activities/groups.

Like I said above, focus on the ports. Maybe let the kids look at info ahead of time for things they may want to see and do. Not sure which trip/dates you are going, but most of the October sailings that are 7 days look like you only have 2 sea days and those they may just want to take it easy and hang out at the pool. They usually have something like pizza making or cupcake making on one of the sea days although last time on the BA they charged to make cupcakes so we skipped it.