Packing and General Cruise Tips

CalJas

Our ship has advised us that checkin is between 11.30am and 4.30pm, with our deck boarding at 4.30pm. Are we able to board earlier, and if so, will we have access to our room? Will we also be made to wait while others are from the specified deck check in?

I should mention we are on Royal Caribbean.

Thanks

It can vary from Port to Port however as a general rule unless they are flat out they'll let you on when you arrive, I believe from time to time they will ask you to wait if they are extremely busy, never happened to me, but have heard of it, I sail out of Sydney as a general rule, so if you're boarding in Freo it may be different but probably not much.

We'll be in Navigator of the seas. How dressy do men/teens need to be? On the website it says 2 formal attires? do the men need dressy shoes?

What I would recommend to you and anyone else trying a new cruise line is to go on the cruise line's website and find the FAQ's. There will be info about what the dress code is...if you didn't see it where you found the number of formal dinners, you should look around. The info will be there. As for shoes, they probably aren't as strict as long as the men aren't wearing open toed shoes. My hubby will bring dressy shoes, but on our last cruise (which had three formal nights on Princess), by the third night, his feet were bothering him so he went with his regular shoes. He wore a suit (albeit not dark suit) with tie -- no one was looking at his feet. I had injured a big toe so at that point, I wore my casual sandals the rest of the cruise without anyone getting on my case. If anyone had said anything, I would have shown them my bandaged toe.:rolleyes: Usually if you think about what you would wear to a nice wedding, you'll be fine for formal dinners on most cruise lines.

BTW, even if I'm repeating a ship, I still go back to the website and read up on my ship and see if there's anything new.