What to do with very young kids in San Juan???

SandRaven

If it was just us, my devastatingly handsome husband and I would go for some local cuisine and night kayaking on phosphorescent waters, but now we have two awesome girls at our side, ages 3.5 years and 16 months. They love Mac n' Cheese, short walks on the beach, and anything new to avoid nap time. The beach is huge for them; they will literally stop in their tracks at any patch of sand in a beach parking area and set up camp before even getting near passable beach camp area. They are adventurous eaters, and we are bringing a stroller for the wee one. Suggestions???

We have taken a 4 year old and 2 1/2 year old to San Jaun and had a wonderful "city break".

Buy a kite and fly it at the castle, explore the castle (the kids seriously loved exploring every little nook & cranny!) , go to the park overlooking the water where hundreds of pigeons and pigeon feeders hang out- think St. Mark's Square but San Juan Style. Walk the beautiful promenaded, eat ice cream (or a Pina Colada for mom & dad).

The Cathedral is also beautiful and worth a stroll through. There are some beautiful (and intriguing to kids) sculptures around the city. We made a little scavenger hunt using photos found on line and the kids "found" sculptures and landmarks around town. Your kids might be a tad young for this, but keep your eyes peeled for some sculptures as you stroll.

We are going back in a few weeks and will probably do the same thing again, maybe check out the (mixed reviews) children's museum.

IMG_3127.jpg.5045df0283d498bf554e1333bc41e806.jpg

Like a previous poster stated, the beach at Escambron park or the one located right besides the Conrad Condado Plaza are your nearest and best bets for the kids. The one beisdes the Conrad is small, semi protected but it will do. If you stay within the OSJ walls there's a neat little park called Parque de las Palomas (google maps: Palomas park). There's a lady there that sells small pouches of pigeon peas or corn to feed the pigeons and they will literally fly into their hands to eat. It might be daunting for them at first but then it turns into a lot of fun. Kite flying at the El Morro grounds is another good kid activity.

We have taken a 4 year old and 2 1/2 year old to San Jaun and had a wonderful "city break".

Buy a kite and fly it at the castle, explore the castle (the kids seriously loved exploring every little nook & cranny!) , go to the park overlooking the water where hundreds of pigeons and pigeon feeders hang out- think St. Mark's Square but San Juan Style. Walk the beautiful promenaded, eat ice cream (or a Pina Colada for mom & dad).

The Cathedral is also beautiful and worth a stroll through. There are some beautiful (and intriguing to kids) sculptures around the city. We made a little scavenger hunt using photos found on line and the kids "found" sculptures and landmarks around town. Your kids might be a tad young for this, but keep your eyes peeled for some sculptures as you stroll.

We are going back in a few weeks and will probably do the same thing again, maybe check out the (mixed reviews) children's museum.

As a local, I can tell you, this is the best idea ever. We take our kids every now and then to San Juan to fly kites. Is like a tradition for puertorican kids to fly kids at "El Morro". There is a little area near El Morro with some water fountains were the kids can splash a little bit. Then take a trolley to "Paseo La Princesa" or walk to "Parque de las Palomas"(Pigeon Park) kids love this and the Pigeons are very docile. San Juan is a very kid friendly place, especially on week days.

If it was just us, my devastatingly handsome husband and I would go for some local cuisine and night kayaking on phosphorescent waters, but now we have two awesome girls at our side, ages 3.5 years and 16 months. They love Mac n' Cheese, short walks on the beach, and anything new to avoid nap time. The beach is huge for them; they will literally stop in their tracks at any patch of sand in a beach parking area and set up camp before even getting near passable beach camp area. They are adventurous eaters, and we are bringing a stroller for the wee one. Suggestions???

The Old city as suggested above is absolutely beautiful and a must see, i didnt see anyone flying kites but i did hear about the locals doing that on weekends by the fort.

The beach by the Plaza was a nice strip of beach, if your ok with a few rocks, lots to see snorkeling. If you want something more structured I bought an All inclusive beach break pass from Island Marketing, i have used them 3 times now and well worth it. Maybe they can put together a private tour for you, like they did for me to the rain forest and loved it.

• 1 month later...

I'm just starting to research what to do with our 2.5 year old toddler the day we're in port. It sounds like hanging out in the Old City and flying a kite would be perfect. We will have enough beach time at our other ports. Can we walk to the Old City from the port? Thanks!

I'm just starting to research what to do with our 2.5 year old toddler the day we're in port. It sounds like hanging out in the Old City and flying a kite would be perfect. We will have enough beach time at our other ports. Can we walk to the Old City from the port? Thanks!

The port is located inside the Old City. You can get of the ship an walk around Old San Juan