3 ships in port, would Coki be crowded?

dom89

We will be in St Thomas in March on NCL Gem. NCL Pearl and Celebrity Summit will be in port as well. All three ships carry less than 2500 people.

I have been to St Thomas before on Carnival Victory but we were the only ship in port that day. When we went to Coki, it was not packed at all.

Any one have ideas on what kind of crowd to expect with 3 ships? I was there in 2010 so not sure how things might have changed.

You can count on a busier vibe at Coki, it's just such a small bay and very popular. I would expect it to be abusy beach midday that day.

Other beaches will surely be much less crowded including Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach), Smith Bay, and Sapphire with the latter 2 offering snorkeling. What are you looking for that day?

Edited by blue_water

Sapphire is wonderful. We have stayed there 3 times and even with 3 ships in port it never got too crowded. My DH thinks the snorkeling there is great.

We were there last week and on Tues with 4 ships and and even Wed with 7 it wasn't crowded at all. No guarantees but definitely less people in the water than at Coki!

I've seen pictures of a crowded beach right in front of Dive In at Sapphire so it can get crowded just as with any beach. But even with 7 ships and 20k running around we've seen it remain comfortable (for us anyway). We always walk the bay and for the most part folks stay right by the swimming area and there are only a handful of snorkelers at any given time.

Thanks everyone. We will probably go to Sapphire. Does anyone have any recent pictures from Sapphire? I would like to get an idea of what it looks like but from recent pictures.

Edited by dom89

I think you'll be very happy with either. Although Coki is classified as one of the best snorkeling beaches on the island and some folks who live on STT describe it as walking into an aquarium, Sapphire is also quite good and offers a reef and a seagrass area.

One thing I keep reading about Sapphire is that it has a lot of rocks you have to go over. While I would like to look at fish and do some beginner snorkeling, I need a beach without tons of rocks so my kiddo can sit at the waters edge and play.

I was planning on Sapphire but now concerned. Are these rocks in just one area? The photos are very mixed. One photo will show a clear blue water with powder sand, the next shows tons of rocks.

Coki looks beautiful but I am NOT a crowd person, so was hoping to avoid.

Suggestions for me?

dom89 -

Yes, definitely. We just spent a week at Sapphire and the water was clear and gorgeous and different shades of blue. Very calm every day as well.

Mirrasi -

There are rocks in some areas, and even in the sandy swimming area you may fine 1 or 2 as you wade out. ALong the shore it's nice and sandy. The section to the right of the dive center as you face the water is more rocky and where the reef is, the section to the left is sandy and then there's the sea grass area.

dom89 -

Yes, definitely. We just spent a week at Sapphire and the water was clear and gorgeous and different shades of blue. Very calm every day as well.

Mirrasi -

There are rocks in some areas, and even in the sandy swimming area you may fine 1 or 2 as you wade out. ALong the shore it's nice and sandy. The section to the right of the dive center as you face the water is more rocky and where the reef is, the section to the left is sandy and then there's the sea grass area.

Any chance you have pictures willing to share of Sapphire?

Any chance you have pictures willing to share of Sapphire?

How about a web cam?

www.sapphireinthesun.com

Take a look at the drone video for a good feel for the beach and resorts. YOu can see the south end closer to the pool and marina is rocky and coral, see guys out there in the AM catching something :eek:

I'll post some pics later when I can, and other folks have posted on CC if you want to use the Search tool.

From the drone video, facing the building, where is the place cruise people go? I'm not sure Sapphire can compare with the looks of Coki. Maybe they didn't show much of the area where there is no sea grass or rocks. Water looked very clear but "dark" due to the sea grass. I guess I'll have to look for more pictures

Edited by dom89

From the drone video, facing the building, where is the place cruise people go? I'm not sure Sapphire can compare with the looks of Coki. Maybe they didn't show much of the area where there is no sea grass or rocks. Water looked very clear but "dark" due to the sea grass. I guess I'll have to look for more pictures

I can email you some if you will give me your e-mail address. (My avatar is Sapphire).

Cruisers generally congregate in front and to the right of the dive center. The drone operator is standing in front of condo bldg E. D is to the right, and C, B, and A further to the right. Bldg A is next to the dive center. At the 2:06 minute mark on the drone video you can see the white dive center, it's closed.

No pictures needed, the dark blues are a result of coral to the right and further out, and sea grass to the very far left.

There are tons of pics on line and videos on youtube. But you're putting too much work into this dom! Chill and look forward to a gorgeous beach! If you enjoy snorkeling that much go to Coki early and head for Sapphire when she gets busy! :rolleyes:

If you enjoy snorkeling that much go to Coki early and head for Sapphire when she gets busy!

Interesting thought! I am a planner too and going crazy trying to decide between these two beaches. How hard (and much approx) would it be to get from one to the other? I like this idea!

It is a good idea to do some research, many people do little or none and then complain later. So you're definitely smart to compare and I applaud you for that!

When it comes to beaches everyone has a favorite of course, and although pictures don't always capture the experience or "feel", they can give you an idea of what to expect. We were in awe of the beauty of Lindqvist last week and took some shots. They remind us of what we experienced, and someone else may want to go there after seeing the photo. But experiencing it yourself is obviously what you want.

Sapphire does have coral and some rocky areas, and in the video you are seeing the end of the beach where it is very rocky and only expert snorkelers go out. For us that adds to the beauty of the water, and for avid snorkelers it adds to the diversity. But I'm sure you'll enjoy your day snorkeling at any of the East End beaches, and if not wearing fins water shoes are a good idea at any of them. Since you've done Coki it's great to have other beaches to choose from.

Interesting thought! I am a planner too and going crazy trying to decide between these two beaches. How hard (and much approx) would it be to get from one to the other? I like this idea!

Coki is the first beach most folks get dropped at and getting a taxi to Sapphire should be quite easy. It's a 10 mon ride and I'd guess $5pp, so very doable I would think.

Ms411, your thoughts?

Coki is the first beach most folks get dropped at and getting a taxi to Sapphire should be quite easy. It's a 10 mon ride and I'd guess $5pp, so very doable I would think.

Ms411, your thoughts?

Thanks Blue! That's what I will plan. Ship is in port 8-4 so should have plenty of time. Woohoo!