Non-touristy areas in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau

lasvegaswojo

I'm looking forward to my first cruise and first visit to Alaska. (Sun Princess 9/5-9/12) Whittier (by way of Anchorage) to Vancouver. I'm sure there are some nice things to see and buy in the usual tourist shops and areas -- but if I want to get a taste of the local scene and flavor can anyone suggest areas that are easily reachable that would be worth it? I live in Las Vegas and before this in Hollywood. I know where to go and where not to go in those areas. I'd greatly appreciate any advice and tips about anything. -- Steve

We have taken the Alaskan "tour" several times and have found "Galligaskins" in Juneau to have a very nice selection of authentic Alaskan goods. They have reasonable prices and will ship. It is up the main street about a half mile from the docks and is an easy walk. Have a great trip.

We were just in Ketchikan on Saturday and did a kayak tour with Southeast Sea Kayaking. We were supposied to go on a 4 hour trip to Orca's cove, but the water was too rough so we went just around the area. The guide (Susha) spent summers with her father on the island, which we kayaked around. She was able to tell us many tales of growing up in the area and different facts. We also go to see a sea otter climb right up on the dock behind us as we were loading into our kayaks!

You will need to rent a car to get out of the touristy areas in Juneau and Skagway. My favorite in Juneau is Auke Bay and the UAS campus. In Skagway, visit the cemetary and Reid falls when there are no tour groups, hike up to the lake, or go to Dyea.

Each of these cities also has walking tour maps that offer an inside look of the downtown areas. Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska also have some guides. A car rental will offer you the way out of the city. But in Juneau, be careful of the company and verify is a shuttle is included, most do NOT have them and this will add at least $30+++ for cabs. Rent a Wreck is a company that does.

Skagway downtown is nice to stroll in, head to the Park Service Visitor center and consider their walking tours. http://www.nps.gov/klgo/schedule.htm

Nice place for biking too. Easy level walk out to the Gold Rush Cemetery.

I see the OP is already on his cruise but for anybody else reading this thread and Ketchikan-bound:

Renting a car is pretty easy there - we've done it twice now and the rental places, each a couple miles from the dock, have both sent drivers to pick us up (and to take us back to the ship after we turn the car back in) - we dealt with Budget (a small branch in a car dealership) two years ago and Alaska Rent-A-Car last week. *be careful you are not renting from an airport location - the ketchikan airport is a ferry ride away!* Anyway, once you have a car in Ketchikan, you can drive to Totem Bight State Park to see the totem poles and drive a few miles beyond there, to the literal end of the main road, to Settler's Cove State Park, which has a nice waterfall, forest trails, and rocky beaches - we went there again while on Mercury last week, and though ours was one of four ships in port, NOT ANOTHER SOUL TO BE SEEN at Settler's Cove (Totem Bight, however, is almost always awash in tours; it's so easy to get to, though, there's really no need to be "guided" there) -- Have a great time! -- TR

Archived