MSC Fantasia Questions

first_time_30th_birthday_

Hi everyone, I am brand new to cruising, and this is my first ever post on cruise critic!

It is my 30th birthday in November, and my husband and I have booked today for us to celebrate with a mediterranean cruise on the MSC Fantasia on 1st November this year. I really wanted to go to the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, but the price is outside of our affordability. When I recently saw a really good deal (or at least I think it is! ) with MSC, I decided to book it.

We went via a well known cruise travel agency, as they offered some free drinks on top of the free flights and the balcony sale that MSC are currently offering, and were able to offer me advice too as I am a first timer. However, as the booking progressed, I was told things that I'm not 100% sure are correct.

Firstly, the agent tried to persuade me to upgrade from Bella to Fantastica, by saying that we could only eat in the buffet with Bella, and not the main dining rooms. When I told him that the MSC website says that you can request your dining time for the dining rooms on the Bella experience but they are not guaranteed, he then changed his mind and informed me that I might be able to eat in the dining room if they don't sell enough Fantastica experiences, otherwise we would have to eat in the buffet restaurant. I said that we would still like to stick with Bella.*

Then he said that our balconies were on a guarantee basis, and will be allocated later on to us, and we might end up with 2 singles instead of a double. I explained to him that it didn't say that on the MSC website, and they were giving me a drop down list of cabins to choose from. He said that didn't matter, as they would change them around before boarding anyway. The MSC website booking page does not say that at all.*

The next thing I was told was that the free flights from London have not yet been arranged, and details will be communicated to us at some point before we depart, but he doesn't know when. He said it might be from Gatwick or Heathrow, and they might be direct or require a change somewhere. I said I could do with knowing to make arrangements for getting to the airport, but he said he couldn't tell me any more than that, but proceeded to take my £500 deposit.

I just wanted to ask seasoned cruisers whether these things are normal, or whether I have been told incorrect things, which they know I wouldn't be aware of as they know I've never booked a cruise before? I am super excited about going on this lovely trip for my special birthday, but I can't help think that you get a bit punished for taking advantage of the special offers.

Any advice would be much appreciated*:)

I booked a cruise via TA and was initially told flight details weren't available, but I pestered them and got details a day or two later. Mine are direct flights from Gatwick to Venice at slightly more antisocial times than I would have chosen if I'd been paying for them separately, but at least if there should be a flight delay they'd hold the cruise.

I've not been on MSC since they introduced Bella/Fantasia etc. but from what I've read here you definitely get to eat in the dining room for both, just with Bella you might not get to choose the sitting (early/late)

Pretty sure the beds can be made up as either 2 singles or a double and you can ask for them to be changed around if it's not the way you want - that's for the cabins that don't have the beds that pull down. I've booked a guaranteed inside cabin and when I've logged in to the msc website (using booking ref I got from TA) it showed a specific cabin, but number has changed once so far to another cabin of the same spec.

I've been on two msc cruises and loved it and looking forward to my next at Easter.

Hi everyone, I am brand new to cruising, and this is my first ever post on cruise critic!

It is my 30th birthday in November, and my husband and I have booked today for us to celebrate with a mediterranean cruise on the MSC Fantasia on 1st November this year. I really wanted to go to the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, but the price is outside of our affordability. When I recently saw a really good deal (or at least I think it is! ) with MSC, I decided to book it.

We went via a well known cruise travel agency, as they offered some free drinks on top of the free flights and the balcony sale that MSC are currently offering, and were able to offer me advice too as I am a first timer. However, as the booking progressed, I was told things that I'm not 100% sure are correct.

Firstly, the agent tried to persuade me to upgrade from Bella to Fantastica, by saying that we could only eat in the buffet with Bella, and not the main dining rooms. When I told him that the MSC website says that you can request your dining time for the dining rooms on the Bella experience but they are not guaranteed, he then changed his mind and informed me that I might be able to eat in the dining room if they don't sell enough Fantastica experiences, otherwise we would have to eat in the buffet restaurant. I said that we would still like to stick with Bella.*

Your TA is talking CR*P :-Of course you can eat in the MDR (main dining room) you may just not get your choice of prefered time.

Then he said that our balconies were on a guarantee basis, and will be allocated later on to us, and we might end up with 2 singles instead of a double. I explained to him that it didn't say that on the MSC website, and they were giving me a drop down list of cabins to choose from. He said that didn't matter, as they would change them around before boarding anyway. The MSC website booking page does not say that at all.*

there are a very few cabins that cannot be set up as doubles, but mostly the choice is yours , double or twin; if it's not how you want it you ask your cabin steward to set it up as you wish.

The next thing I was told was that the free flights from London have not yet been arranged, and details will be communicated to us at some point before we depart, but he doesn't know when. He said it might be from Gatwick or Heathrow, and they might be direct or require a change somewhere. I said I could do with knowing to make arrangements for getting to the airport, but he said he couldn't tell me any more than that, but proceeded to take my £500 deposit.

MSC do use different flights to different airports for the same sailing.eg Genoa has flights direct to Genoa and also to Nice and Milan, so it may be a bit far out for MSC to know the actual flight arrangements at the moment

I just wanted to ask seasoned cruisers whether these things are normal, or whether I have been told incorrect things, which they know I wouldn't be aware of as they know I've never booked a cruise before? I am super excited about going on this lovely trip for my special birthday, but I can't help think that you get a bit punished for taking advantage of the special offers.

Any advice would be much appreciated*:)

hope this helps

you'll love your cruise

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Agree with everything Skier52 is saying. Think tour TA either doesn't know what he's talking about or is trying to scare you into a more expensive experience to get a better commission!

I've heard of people not getting flight information until very close to sailing, but I always pester them a bit in advance as I need to arrange connecting flights (or book trains) and you need to know which airport. Apart from my second cruise I 2005 when they flew us to Malpensa (Milan) and transferred us to Genoa, I've been lucky to get the Gatwick to Genoa flight (perhaps because that worked with the BA connection from Edinburgh). Lately I always book my own flights so I can go out the day before and get the Genoa flight.

You should be able to find out for sure a few months in advance.

Welcome to cruise critic and the world of cruising! Be warned, it's addictive!

Please do other travellers a big favour and report your travel agent to ABTA. If what you say is correct, your travel agent has breached multiple codes of conduct and deserves to lose their licence.

It is one thing not being well-informed about MSC as they are a less-well-known cruise brand in the UK, it is another to tell absolute lies in a blatent attempt to increase their commission. Upselling on the basis of truth is fine. on the basis of lies is criminal.

I loved my Fantasia experience and I am sure you will love yours. (Click on the link in my siganture for an honest blow-by-blow account, photos etc.).

Don't believe a word that TA says!

We have not sailed under Fantastica yet, but it is true that they do not confirm the seating (you may get first or second, not having any guaranteed until you set sail).

I don't like that class system though, and it's one of the reason we'll stop cruising for a while after our next cruise. They try to complicate things and restrict your freedom too much. I'm fed up with it.

Check my Fantasia thread on my signature as well.

Hi guys, thank you so much for all your reassurance and advice.

The TA wasn't telling me lies, he was just quite unsure about things and calling MSC to clarify. It was actually MSC that told him about the MDR situation depending on how many fantastica experiences they sell, so it's MSC that are trying to scare me into paying more! I just wanted some advice here as the MSC website is obviously rubbish, and clearly hiding some of the conditions of their special offer prices.

I've been looking at everyone's pictures and blogs and I'm so excited! I'm counting down the days already, and I've just started a roll call thread for the cruise too!

Elmartellama - I see that you're from Majorca, I will be visiting the island for the first time in April for a week in Cala Bona, and really looking forward to that too! I feel so lucky to be able to have 2 holidays booked this year :D

If there really is a risk that booking Bella meant you weren't guaranteed access to the MDR then they'll have to make that obvious it's not an option for people on restricted diet (like my coeliac son needing gluten free), as it's only in the MDR that they're geared up for it.

Hoping this is just confused/misinformed MSC staff.

I spoke with MSC themselves today on the phone, and they said that there is a chance you could end up with just eating in the buffet and not the MDR with Bella, but it will be confirmed when you board the ship. It's not very good that's not specified on the website. However from what people have said on here it doesn't seem that it's a common occurrence to not get a seating time at all in the MDR so I'm not too worried about it. I'm certainly not going to upgrade to Fantastica for another £50 each, when we already paid £100 each to upgrade to a balcony. I'd rather spend it eating a la carte in the tex mex! :D

I spoke with MSC themselves today on the phone, and they said that there is a chance you could end up with just eating in the buffet and not the MDR with Bella, but it will be confirmed when you board the ship. It's not very good that's not specified on the website. However from what people have said on here it doesn't seem that it's a common occurrence to not get a seating time at all in the MDR so I'm not too worried about it. I'm certainly not going to upgrade to Fantastica for another £50 each, when we already paid £100 each to upgrade to a balcony. I'd rather spend it eating a la carte in the tex mex!

Before the new pricing "experiences" there was capacity to seat all guests in the MDRs.

Nothing has physically changed on the ship, no extra cabins (so no extra guests), The MDRs are still the same size and I doubt they have decreased the number of tables. However what may be of importance is how many tables are now dedicated to the "Aurea" experience, so there may be a decrease in the number of seats for "Fantastica" and "Bella" guests by default.

This is the only reason I could see for Bella guests being allocated buffet only. Mind you on some of my MSC cruises the buffet meal was superior to the MDR fare, it's just you have to eat by self-service and find a table to sit at, but once that is done the buffet is usually excellent in both quality and choice.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I spoke with MSC themselves today on the phone, and they said that there is a chance you could end up with just eating in the buffet and not the MDR with Bella, but it will be confirmed when you board the ship. It's not very good that's not specified on the website. However from what people have said on here it doesn't seem that it's a common occurrence to not get a seating time at all in the MDR so I'm not too worried about it. I'm certainly not going to upgrade to Fantastica for another £50 each, when we already paid £100 each to upgrade to a balcony. I'd rather spend it eating a la carte in the tex mex! :D

This is very unusual. The bella experience does not guarantee your prefered dinner times but it certainly allocates you a place at the main dining room. If this is different in your country? I do not think so. Have a look at the conditions of bella and fantastica experience on the web page.

This is very unusual. The bella experience does not guarantee your prefered dinner times but it certainly allocates you a place at the main dining room. If this is different in your country? I do not think so. Have a look at the conditions of bella and fantastica experience on the web page.

here it says "choice of dinner sittings (subject to availability)"

expbella.jpg

and here it says "priority in choice of dinner sittings"

expfantastica.jpg

Pete

There have been precedents of people being allocated in a closed section of the buffet, while having a proper Main Dining Room service. But that is a very different issue, the problem there was that the ship was sailing with more than 100% double occupancy capacity (more kids in bulk beds). Maybe under Fantastica you have more chances of being reallocated :confused: Anyway, nothing really serious. You might be even more confortable if you have more room there.

@first time, have a great time in Mallorca. So long it doesn't rain, April weather tends to be delightful. You won't probably be able to swim outdoors, but it's perfect for any sport or activity. You'll find thousands of cyclists at that time, be mentally prepared :D

There have been precedents of people being allocated in a closed section of the buffet, while having a proper Main Dining Room service. But that is a very different issue, the problem there was that the ship was sailing with more than 100% double occupancy capacity (more kids in bulk beds). Maybe under Fantastica you have more chances of being reallocated :confused: Anyway, nothing really serious. You might be even more confortable if you have more room there.

@first time, have a great time in Mallorca. So long it doesn't rain, April weather tends to be delightful. You won't probably be able to swim outdoors, but it's perfect for any sport or activity. You'll find thousands of cyclists at that time, be mentally prepared :D

Think you're right about the buffet scenario. Happened once to me. They used a separate part of the buffet as an overflow MDR with tablecloths, waiter service, same menu etc.

Thanks everyone for all the help and answers, i'm not too worried about the dining situation as we tend to prefer the choice offered in buffets anyway, but I would like to dress up in a posh frock for the gala evenings as I've never done anything like that before! The wording on the website certainly is ambiguous, as 'subject to availability' implies that you're chosen dining time is subject to availability, not that a seat in the MDR is subject to availability.

I don't know how I'm going to wait for 9 months for the cruise, i'm so excited about it I can't stop telling people all about it lol! :)