When to book for October 2016

JohnoClark

I don't know if it's because we got a $2500 per couple discount offered on our cruise with air, but when we just booked our Uniworld Rhine and Moselle cruise last week, sailing 8/1/15, we had to pay in full. I was kind of surprised by that, but since we had the cash we just went ahead and paid.

Could be because it's only 7 months away....but if you got $2500 off for paying now, it sounds like a good deal! we're doing Vantage Rhine and Moselle in late August, 2015 too and have to pay in full in May. I would pay in full now for $2500!!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Avalon doesn't work the way Vantage and Viking do. They expect payment much sooner than Avalon does. For a 7 night cruise with Avalon, the deposit should only be $250pp (or $500 per couple) plus insurance if they choose to purchase it through Avalon. That's why I'm questioning the "$1700 deposit" comment. Could be booked in another country or ? :confused:

We are planning a Blue Danube River Cruise for October 2016 and want to catch any promotions/discounts available?

Any thoughts on optimal timing?

First of all, how flexible is your timing and cabin choice? My experience is only with Viking River Cruises, but deals can be had by waiting if you are not locked into a particular schedule. While cabin prices remain the same, VRC has offered up to free airfare and other minimal incentives when trying to fill ships for late Oct, mid to late Nov. Two years ago, free air was offered after June 1st for about 3 weeks, last year it was offered about mid July until 1st of August appx. We had not planned on going until next fall, but after watching for three years, didn't want to wait any longer. It all depends on flexibility, if you wait you may not get cabin or pricing, but Europe economy is down and dollar is up. Possibly some good deals to come.

Could be because it's only 7 months away....but if you got $2500 off for paying now, it sounds like a good deal! we're doing Vantage Rhine and Moselle in late August, 2015 too and have to pay in full in May. I would pay in full now for $2500!!!

Yes, we hadn't originally considered this trip, as we were looking at a 7 night Rhine cruise, and because Uniworld was pricey I had decided on Avalon. But then I noticed the promo on this cruise on that date, and for a total of $500 more than the Uniworld quote for the 7 night cruise, we got the extra five nights on this trip! Still more pricey than Avalon and AMA, of course, but we get the extra nights on the ship and two nights in Amsterdam from the TA, so we decided it was worth the extra money. And with the longer length cruise, having the gratuities included was nice!

Hiccups

Uniworld has two major discounts. The one you are describing is the pay in full discount. They also offer in lieu of the pay in full a lesser early booking discount with full payment not being due until 90 days prior to sailing. In addition they give a discount of $150 pp for cruises 12 days or under and $250 pp for longer cruises for returning guests on top of the previous discounts.

We want a Royal Suite on Avalon and there are only 2 on each sailings.

We found that for many October 2016 sailings they were already sold out.

So book now. Only $500 deposit; rest due late in 2016 and 10 percent off, but I expect they will offer similar discounts or better in the future.

And as a Canadian, the US - Canadian dollar differential is much less than the current market rate, so a relative savings versus those priced in US $.

We want a Royal Suite on Avalon and there are only 2 on each sailings.

We found that for many October 2016 sailings they were already sold out.

So book now. Only $500 deposit; rest due late in 2016 and 10 percent off, but I expect they will offer similar discounts or better in the future.

And as a Canadian, the US - Canadian dollar differential is much less than the current market rate, so a relative savings versus those priced in US $.

Did you Try scenic?

We also wanted a Royal suite. We booked about a month ago for September 2016 and still had our choice....there are 4 Royals on Scenic.

We are doing the Jewels of Europe Cruise....but man...its a long time to wait

Did you Try scenic?

We also wanted a Royal suite. We booked about a month ago for September 2016 and still had our choice....there are 4 Royals on Scenic.

We are doing the Jewels of Europe Cruise....but man...its a long time to wait

Howdy 41Rainbow,

We are Lisa and Gary LoneStarCruisinCouple from Sugar Land,Texas. and we booked our cruise with Scenic Tours way back in November of 2013 for a cruise that we are getting ready to do on The New Scenic Opal

September 2,2015

Jewels of Europe

as we wanted to be in One of the two Royal Panorama Suites and with The new design now on the two new ships The Jasper and The Opal glad that we did as they are now 475 Sq Ft. Of Luxury. Can't wait. 15 Days of Pampering coming our way.

See that you are from Melbourne. Myself I spent half of my younger years growing up in Melbourne and was a buyer for Myer Melbourne LTD.

Used to live in a High Rise on Lawnsdale Street but later purchased a home out in Greensboro. Sure do miss living there as I just don't know what it is about folks in The Land From Down Under but you folks just somehow someway know how to really enjoy life.

Anyways just wanted to wish you Smooth Sailings.

Lisa and Gary