Booking excursions onboard?

Big Stevie

Yes it does because the comment by themanwithahat is incorrect. See my post #46 which gives links to the correct information on the P&O website.

Before autotips and Freedom dining came out, tipping was all done in cash. Envelopes were left in your cabin with guidance on who, and how much, to tip and you just left one tip at the end of the cruise. This was just to the people you came in contact with, I.e. Your restaurant waiters who you had for the whole cruise and your cabin steward. It was not possible to tip those behind the scenes as you never came into contact with them.

The introduction of Freedom dining meant that you were likely to have different waiters each night so they introduced an auto tip just for the restaurant waiters for people on Freedom dining leaving the cabin stewards and those on club dining to tip in cash as previous.

Then, about three years ago, full autotips came out which just replaced the cash system that existed before. It just covers the restaurant waiters and cabin stewards, the same as the cash system did before.

Brian

Thats a very good explanation Brian, thanks. So none of the tips, whether cash or automatic ever reach the behind the scenes people. So long as I know exactly where they go then I'm happy, and I shall have to decide before I board which tipping system I want to do.

Regarding Rome trips - so easy to do yourself by train. Station only a few minutes away and was 12 euros return for the hour journey. They give you a timetable at the time or you can download one beforehand. The thing you need to do is be off the ship first thing, before the trips. We walked all round Rome, including Vatican which we hadn't planned, and ended up at the Colloseum. A fantastic day - I can supply detailed information of our day trip if anyone needs it.

Hi dronnygirl we are going to Rome in October on Azura and are bebating wether to take the excursion with P and O or get the train which would be much cheaper. I would be very interested in some information of your day trip.

Thanks

Id love to receive any such info please as we are wanting to see Colloseum, Vatican, Spannish Steps etc but didn't realise Id be able to do it in a day. Would this include going inside both the Colosseum and Vatican? Not sure if this forum has a private message facility for sending you my email address?

You would need to be a fast walker and not spend much time in each. My advice would be to chose two of three and do them properly. Leave the rest for another visit. There is far too much in Rome to do it all in a day. IMO the Forum is much better than the Spanish Steps and don't forget the Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona..............

On the subject of tipping, as it now seems to be virtually compulsory why don't all the cruise lines adopt the Azamara type policy of including the tips in the cruise price and paying their staff a higher salary?

As for the trips the P and O all day trip to Rome on my first ever cruise in 2007was exceptional and included walking around Rome in the morning, lunch and then the Vatican in the afternoon. All of it was incredible and being in an organised trip we jumped the queues in the Vatican.:D

On the subject of tipping, as it now seems to be virtually compulsory why don't all the cruise lines adopt the Azamara type policy of including the tips in the cruise price and paying their staff a higher salary?

As for the trips the P and O all day trip to Rome on my first ever cruise in 2007was exceptional and included walking around Rome in the morning, lunch and then the Vatican in the afternoon. All of it was incredible and being in an organised trip we jumped the queues in the Vatican.:D

I'm not sure including the "gratuity" in the price is the right thing to do (Full Definition of GRATUITY. : something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service), and there should always be the right to withdraw or not pay if you think you have not received good service. Simply adding it to the fare surely simply means it's a higher fare, which you have to pay even if the service is poor?

However, I do agree that cruise lines are starting to muddy the waters, with holding certain features / services if you do not pay upfront, an example of this is not being able to opt for select (anytime) dining with Celebrity if you don't pay tips upfront - I feel that is not the way to go...

That sounds perfect for me, what was the name of that particular excursion please?

I really want to do their 'Gladiator' excursion where they take you into the colosseum, but I'm guessing I will then miss other landmarks such as the vatican. Maybe I need to find which of their excursions will allow me to see the colosseum as well as the vatican, even if that means sacrificing entering the colosseum

Edited by Big Stevie

Just booked the Glories of the Gladiators excursion - £148 for 2x adults & 1x child. Wife wanted to see the Vatican, but myself and our son wanted the Colosseum, and the boys won :). Due to the travelling time from the port to Rome, we really didn't want to do a DIY day here.

We do intend to do some DIY excursions at other ports, to balance the cost. Im hoping Monaco and Gibraltar are easy to DIY?

Edited by Big Stevie

Monaco is very easy as you dock right in the harbour so its easy to walk around. Gibraltar is a twenty minute level walk into the town or you can take a taxi shuttle for £2 per head each way. If you want to do a tour of the rock you will find a load of taxis waiting for you just outside the cruise terminal. They use small minibuses and charge a fixed price per head for the tour.

Brian

Monaco is very easy as you dock right in the harbour so its easy to walk around. Gibraltar is a twenty minute level walk into the town or you can take a taxi shuttle for £2 per head each way. If you want to do a tour of the rock you will find a load of taxis waiting for you just outside the cruise terminal. They use small minibuses and charge a fixed price per head for the tour.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I guess we just want to go up the rock and watch the apes snatch folks sandwiches:D. Im guessing we can do that by ourselves?

As for Monaco, Ive been told to jump on one of these tour buses..

Bus_panoramique_touristique_Le_grand_tour_Monaco-1_zpszk0eshkz.jpg

Edited by Big Stevie

To go up the rock in Gibraltar, you will need a taxi or take the cable car. You will see more with the taxi.

Monaco is much smaller than Gib (0.78sq miles compared to 2.6sq miles (Wikipedia)) so its easy to walk around although you can take the bus tour if you want.

Toms port guides are well worth a look and include Gibraltar amd Monaco and other ports you may be visiting

http://www.tomsportguides.com/

Brian

From my understanding, yes to both. When you board your ship you can ask for the automatic tips (£3.95/person/day I think) to be removed, and then tip during the cruise as you see fit.

?

You can remove auto tips at any time during the cruise, at least I did on Cunard last year. I left auto tips on the account when freedom dining on Oriana in January