Cruise Ships in the Mediterranean - Article about ISIS

Carol From California

I just read this. I have never been afraid to cruise in the Mediterranean but after reading this now I am not sure. How does everyone else feel? I am booked on a Viking cruise in the Mediterranean for August. Never crossed my mind to be fearful of something like this.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/02/20/isis-seen-as-threat-to-cruise-ships-on-the-mediterranean/

I just read this. I have never been afraid to cruise in the Mediterranean but after reading this now I am not sure. How does everyone else feel? I am booked on a Viking cruise in the Mediterranean for August. Never crossed my mind to be fearful of something like this.

Of course anywhere in the world these days there could be a terrorist attack...

but you know there are 24 hour watches/advanced radar on cruise ships and they do carry arms to defend against an unlikely attack.

I plan to enjoy our cruise in April in the Med and the one we having coming up in Asia in November!

Kathy

Point of information: Cruise ships are not armed.

So I'm riding on Rt 46 from Hacketstown and listening to the radio and the story about the fatal car wreck in Budd Lake is on the radio. You can't always know what will happen. I'd have no fear on a cruise.

When we where on our last Azazmara cruise the Captain stated there were some guns onboard and crew trained in using them. Some one asked him that question during a tour of the Bridge, but I guess he was just appeasing us!

I was the original poster in this thread. I do have a Med cruise booked later this year and I am not going to cancel it. When I read the article and looked on the map and it shows how close the coast of Libya is to Italy, Greece and Turkey it did alarm me somewhat. I am not afraid to travel, and unless I hear further reports that really would make it completely unsafe to travel to this region we will not cancel our booking.

Edited by Carol From California

I just completed a number of courses to renew my license. Among them was a week long certification for "Vessel Security Officer". I believe that the crew are trained and ready, but in any case, I refuse to live my life in fear of terrorism.