Carnival Splendor - bad?

beshears

If you have been on Carnival Splendor within the last 6 months, is it really that bad???

I just read a few reviews, and I wondered if it is just some people are more "nit picky" than other people?

Last year we went on an older ship of Carnivals, and there had been a lot of bad reviews, but since it was my friends first time, I was not going to tell her about these reviews. We got on this ship, and had a wonderful time. I think these reviews depends upon the persons likes/dislikes.

Forgot to include my review of Splendor cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=270943

For one thing the part of the MDR they use for YTD is absolutely crowded. I am assuming that as YTD becomes more popular, they must keep adding tables. The tables are so close together that the waiters had a hard time going back and forth. Many times the trays they were carrying were above the passengers heads.

On our Splendor cruise last month we noticed the crowding of tables was ridiculous. At times my arm actually brushed up against someone at the neighboring table.

Starting on the third evening, we had ATD, we requested a booth every night. The booths are not subject to the same crowding as tables.

We usually had about a 15 minute wait, but we prefer to sit and relax with a cocktail before dinner anyway.

I'm going on the Splendor later this year with family. Could you post a few pictures that you feel best communicate your experience cruising on the Splendor?

Here's a review I did after our Splendor cruise in 2013. I started one after our Canada cruise in 2014 - but I never finished it - sorry.

This one has LOTS of pics

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1867127

I'm going on the Splendor later this year with family. Could you post a few pictures that you feel best communicate your experience cruising on the Splendor?

Here's a review I did after our Splendor cruise in 2013. I started one after our Canada cruise in 2014 - but I never finished it - sorry.

This one has LOTS of pics

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1867127

Edmund, you are in for a treat! Not only did Kath (she is my twin seperated at birth! :p) post a GREAT REVIEW with GREAT PICTURES, you can go back after you finish to post #3. Jamman responded and if you scroll down to the end of his signature, you can click on HIS Splendor review which ALSO is great with great pictures! ;) So pull up a chair and sit a spell and ENJOY! :D

Edmund, you are in for a treat! Not only did Kath (she is my twin seperated at birth! :p) post a GREAT REVIEW with GREAT PICTURES, you can go back after you finish to post #3. Jamman responded and if you scroll down to the end of his signature, you can click on HIS Splendor review which ALSO is great with great pictures! ;) So pull up a chair and sit a spell and ENJOY! :D

LOL - Thanks! Karen one of these days we have GOT to cruise together! We're on the Pride June 14th but I've got to get on the Splendor again! FYI - Ridgewood is next town over from me - Fair Lawn!

Edited by Cyber Kat

LOL - Thanks! Karen one of these days we have GOT to cruise together! We're on the Pride June 14th but I've got to get on the Splendor again! FYI - Ridgewood is next town over from me - Fair Lawn!

Yea, we're doing a B2B in May on Pride. Only spirit class ship we haven't sailed. We got a "good deal" when we were on the Liberty and it was hard to pass it up, but I'm not going to like driving to Baltimore! So spoiled driving to Manhattan! We flew to PC for our Liberty cruise. First time we have flown since 2008! You, Jamman and his DW Patti and me will have to book a cruise together from NY. Fingers crossed they put a new ship here eventually, tho I wouldn't mind sailing Splendor again, but I would LOVE to sail on the Breeze.

Can't believe we are next door neighbors! DS and his DW just moved from Fair Lawn. They lived there for a few years (5-15 5th St) and just bought a huge house in Midland Park. DH and both our DS'es are cops in Ridgewood. DS#2 is a detective. Isn't this a great winter we are having! :eek: We are in a white out...:mad: NOT FUN!

December 2014 was my second time on the Splendor. Out of 9 cruises that was the worst of them all. The crew were like robots just going through the motions. Other passengers also felt that there werent enough activities and when there were planned activities the crew was always late getting to them but they would end them on time. My cabin was nasty on embarkation day, the steward admitted to not cleaning it properly because he had so many cabins that day to clean. It felt like the crew needed a vacation:cool:

Branm 7, I just want to thank you for your Carnival Spendor video. I also want to thank those of you who gave me "positive" (yes this is your opinion) opinions of this ship/crew.

As I've always said, it is always easy to find negative, but people need to look for the positives, and a lot of you did.:)

Yea, we're doing a B2B in May on Pride. Only spirit class ship we haven't sailed. We got a "good deal" when we were on the Liberty and it was hard to pass it up, but I'm not going to like driving to Baltimore! So spoiled driving to Manhattan! We flew to PC for our Liberty cruise. First time we have flown since 2008! You, Jamman and his DW Patti and me will have to book a cruise together from NY. Fingers crossed they put a new ship here eventually, tho I wouldn't mind sailing Splendor again, but I would LOVE to sail on the Breeze.

Can't believe we are next door neighbors! DS and his DW just moved from Fair Lawn. They lived there for a few years (5-15 5th St) and just bought a huge house in Midland Park. DH and both our DS'es are cops in Ridgewood. DS#2 is a detective. Isn't this a great winter we are having! :eek: We are in a white out...:mad: NOT FUN!

We're just going to miss you on the Pride! :( We're not looking forward to the drive down to Baltimore either. NYC is sooo convenient! We're going down the night before and planning on doing a stay and sail at the Best Western.

I would do any ship they put in NYC - but I do love the Splendor. Just feels like home for some reason. I always thought the crew were great - very friendly - always cleaning! A group cruise sounds like fun!

I love Ridgewood, but we landed in Fair Lawn and here we stay :) - we're on the other side of town from 5th off Broadway by the Boston Market.

We did a different itinerary than you, but here are a few pics. It's hard to choose, since I'm not sure what you want to see :)

1009288092_cruise62012561.jpg.5a0ccb8be9ea11a43e24310f3a3877dd.jpg

1681505587_cruise6-2009.jpg.a20bc6c7f79d121e198a98429ead5026.jpg

893396148_cruise6-2217.jpg.519765d842196c3b9b5290def06e6a75.jpg

I'm happy to see positive comments about the Splendor.

While I know everyone can have a negative experience (we have on vacation as well) I haven't had a valid complaint in 7 cruises with Carnival.

In 2012, there was a very long ranting post about how awful their cruise was, just off the Miracle.

I don't know where some comments came from.

Nothing went right for them due to Carnival, including how terrible the weather was, ruining her deck time getting no tan at all. It was never overcast or rained and the weather was absolutely perfect.

Makes me cringe a little to think Splendor is the sister ship of the Concordia.

Have a great trip everyone!

Edited by BAILEYHY

OK, I'm ignorant...what is ATD?

Any time dining, sometimes referred to as YTD: your time dining. Not the early or late assigned dining. You go to the designated MDR (Black Pearl on Splendor) within a specific time frame (usually 5:45-9) and request to be seated either alone or with others

We're just going to miss you on the Pride! :( We're not looking forward to the drive down to Baltimore either. NYC is sooo convenient! We're going down the night before and planning on doing a stay and sail at the Best Western.

I would do any ship they put in NYC - but I do love the Splendor. Just feels like home for some reason. I always thought the crew were great - very friendly - always cleaning! A group cruise sounds like fun!

I love Ridgewood, but we landed in Fair Lawn and here we stay :) - we're on the other side of town from 5th off Broadway by the Boston Market.

We were planning to drive down early the morning of the cruise, but I keep thinking it's silly to drive down there and not experience the area. We have been to Camden Yards a few times and it's beautiful down there. But I hate to spend the extra $ for a hotel room and meals...so not sure what we are doing. I'll have to think about it! Are you leaving your car at the hotel and getting a shuttle to the ship? Since we are doing a B2B I think I would prefer to keep our car in the parking lot at the pier.