Talk to me about cavetubing

Mommyof1

I've read several reviews about which company to use and physical fitness levels for the walk/hike, but what about actually getting into the tube? I picture what it's like at a waterpark and I'm trying to manage getting my butt in the tube and I fall out of it and start over several times. Is it that difficult? Also, I have a friend who is a "big girl". Is there a weight limit?

I've read several reviews about which company to use and physical fitness levels for the walk/hike, but what about actually getting into the tube? I picture what it's like at a waterpark and I'm trying to manage getting my butt in the tube and I fall out of it and start over several times. Is it that difficult? Also, I have a friend who is a "big girl". Is there a weight limit?

Getting in is a challenge! From a low dock u hold the tube against your butt and fall backwards into the river. About a two foot drop. That, and the hike, were the worst parts. But the tubing was fantastic!

I think different companies must do it differently. Last month, with .bz, it was easy. They positioned the tube and you just sat down in it in the shallow water at the edge of the river. There wasn't any dock involved. The tube was huge and it had a bottom in it; I can't think of a scenario where I would have fallen out of it.

I don't know about a weight limit; I'm sure it would say on the web site, though.

Edited by indy71

Not difficult at all. The hike was pretty much on flat ground. Some companies, even have the tubes waiting for you, so you don't even have to carry them. I thought the hike was quite cool. I just kept thinking to myself, "wow! I am hiking through the jungle in Belize...how cool is that??" The tubing itself is really tame. To tell you the truth, you are mostly being pulled through the cave. Hardly no current at all.

We have done this twice now...both times with .bz and loved it (there's 2 reviews with tons of pictures in my signature line if you are interested).

Getting into the tube is "odd" but super easy. You stand on the end of the dock and just fall backwards. They have ahold of you and you just plop right in. It sounds weird but it's super easy so no worries. They have you.

The caves are huge. :)

As others have stated, getting into the tube is not difficult. When we went with .bz (who I highly recommend) there was a rope that we held onto while sitting into the tube. Its not like trying to get into one while in a swimming pool because your not in 4 feet of water when you do it, your standing on a "cliff" maybe a foot or two above the water, and use the rope to lower yourself into the tube which is below you.

I'm a fluffy girl and I did it with no issues and no embarrassment. No one in our group had any troubles and we were various sizes and ages.

As to the water temp. that likely varies depending on the time of the year that you cruise.

As I mentioned in another thread going right now, wear shoes with a sole! Not swim shoes, the rocks are tiny and sharp, I felt every one in my swimming shoes.

We weren't on a ledge or having to lower ourselves down by a rope. Did they change this recently?

We stood on the edge of the dock and they pretty much had us lean back into it. It looks funny but it was super easy.

IMG_0241-M.jpg

As for the water temp, it does not fluctuate with the weather or the time of the year. It stays a pretty constant temp of 70-74 degrees. It's actually very refreshing and feels good after the walk. :)