Stockholm Advice thread 2015

It's only the passengers from one of those ships that can use the HoHo boats so in that sense one or 4 ships won't make a difference.

I don't know how crowded it will be and I don't really have any good advice. I also don't know if a shore excursion would make things easier, Old town will still be crowded...

It's only the passengers from one of those ships that can use the HoHo boats so in that sense one or 4 ships won't make a difference.

I don't know how crowded it will be and I don't really have any good advice. I also don't know if a shore excursion would make things easier, Old town will still be crowded...

I'm sorry- I don't think I understand what you are saying regarding the number of ships being irrelevant with respect to the HoHO boats. Are you saying that the HOHO boats can accommodate the passengers from one cruise ship? Or that they can't accommodate the passengers from even one ship? Or something else- sorry- I'm just not following.

I was thinking of doing a shore excursion only because of my concern that the usual transportation options would not be available to us because of the masses of people.

I'm sorry- I don't think I understand what you are saying regarding the number of ships being irrelevant with respect to the HoHO boats. Are you saying that the HOHO boats can accommodate the passengers from one cruise ship? Or that they can't accommodate the passengers from even one ship? Or something else- sorry- I'm just not following.

I was thinking of doing a shore excursion only because of my concern that the usual transportation options would not be available to us because of the masses of people.

There are several ports in Stockholm where a cruise ship can dock. But only Stadsgården Port has the HOHO boats. There will be only one cruise ship docked there and I think it is your ship, so what concerns the HOHO boats there will be no problem with passengers from other ships. But it may be crowded in the Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan.

There are several ports in Stockholm where a cruise ship can dock. But only Stadsgården Port has the HOHO boats. There will be only one cruise ship docked there and I think it is your ship, so what concerns the HOHO boats there will be no problem with passengers from other ships. But it may be crowded in the Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan.

Ok-got it! Thank you so much!

Hello,

Any suggestion to get from the airport to the Lydmar Hotel? We will have luggage, but can handle a short walk.

Also, best way from the Lydmar Hotel to the Celebrity Cruise port?

Thanks in advance.

Airport express train to the central station then subway to Kungsträdgården and walk from there.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/%27%27/Lydmar+Hotel,+S%C3%B6dra+Blasieholmshamnen+2,+103+24+Stockholm,+Sverige/@59.3304168,18.0632661,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0xf0c2b42fbbc0ce32!2m2!1d18.058298!2d59.330297!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d59d393bddb:0xfe8c9e4cea49696e!2m2!1d18.077461!2d59.329!3e3

Or Bus #65 from centralen to Your hotel.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/%27%27/Lydmar+Hotel,+S%C3%B6dra+Blasieholmshamnen+2,+103+24+Stockholm,+Sverige/@59.3305553,18.0632973,16z/data=!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0xf0c2b42fbbc0ce32!2m2!1d18.058298!2d59.330297!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d59d393bddb:0xfe8c9e4cea49696e!2m2!1d18.077461!2d59.329!2m2!7e2!8j1431435600!3e3!5i3

Or Taxi from the central station

As it says in the first post you need to buy bus tickets before you board the bus.

If you arrive by train buy bus tickets at Pressbyrån in the main hall of the station.

As for your ship, use the link to the port website in the first post to find out where your ship docks.

Then from your hotel (Kungsträdgården stop):

Frihamnen: bus #76 towards Ropsten (get off at Frihamnen).

Stadgårdskajen : http://sl.se/en/#/Travel/SearchTravelById/Kungstr%C3%A4dg%C3%A5rden%20%28Hamngatan_Kungstr%C3%A4dg%C3%A5rdsgatan%29%20%20%28/Londonviadukten%20%28Stockholm%29/1016/1461/2015-05-07%252012_00/depart/en/null/null/2,8,1,4,96,/null/null/null/null/null/true/null/0/0/null

Two Google earth files for Stockholm.

1. Cruise Stockholm with berthing locations, locations for some of the most popular sights.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0iRCjlrrTG1OVgtaWJiMm1QTzQ/view?usp=sharing

2. Gamla Stan with Note worthy buildings/houses, museums and etc listed as well as info about them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0iRCjlrrTG1ZHdXNndBUEV5cEE/view?usp=sharing

We are arriving via the Serenade of the Seas on Jun 27th. We stay on the ship that night, then disembark the next morning. Does anyone know what customs will be like? Should we expect a long line? would love to hear from someone who's experienced this. Thanks.

What an amazing post just packed with information.

I've just booked a Baltic Cruise (mid June 2015) on impulse yesterday so in research mode overdrive now. (Ports: Copenhagen, Nynasham for Stockholm, St Petersburgh (overnight), Helsinki, Tallinn, Gothenburgh. The 2 ports I anticipate providing the biggest decision challenges are Nynasham and St Petersburg due to the out of City Centre docks in both instances (and maybe travel and access issues in St Petersburg?).

I can tell you that Nynasham is about an hour on public transport from Stockholm but has local boats to some of the pretty nearby islands if Stockholm itself not required.

Re Stockholm : Apparently the tenders all come in to one point and there is a blue line to follow (walking) to the train station. There are direct trains and it was recommended either to get a Stockholm 24 HR pass for both transport and museums or a transport pass (c $16-20) at the kiosk there in advance of travel.

l

Our plan (I think) is to take the HOHO one stop option to the VASA - do both companies offer this? Then from the VASA to Gamla Stan, either walk (weather permitting) guesstimate as to time and distance? OR take bus #76 from VASA to Old Town (buy ticket before boarding?) Then to get back to our ship????best way from Old Town to Stadsgarden 167? Thank you for your helpful information!

Our plan (I think) is to take the HOHO one stop option to the VASA - do both companies offer this? Then from the VASA to Gamla Stan, either walk (weather permitting) guesstimate as to time and distance? OR take bus #76 from VASA to Old Town (buy ticket before boarding?) Then to get back to our ship????best way from Old Town to Stadsgarden 167? Thank you for your helpful information!

Regarding the hoHo boats see this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46025807#post46025807

previous years both companies have offered direct shuttles to Vasa.

From Vasa to Gamla Stan on foot is over 2km, either go by bus or the Djurgården ferries (see first post).

Then where I would walk is from Old Town back to the ship: https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.3227996,18.0731374/59.3192963,18.0729144/59.317715,18.0824091/59.3171156,18.0894547/59.3154512,18.0935209/59.3161739,18.0979412/@59.3208492,18.0847555,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

If you have time/energy/feel for it you could perhaps also explore a few more streets of Södermalm.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45883720#post45883720

If you want to go by bus, it's #53 #71 and a whole bunch of #4xx that passes by the Londonviadukten stop.

Use the travel planner listed in the first post to find your most suitable bus or use google maps.

Edited by Desdichado62

Imo even with your husband's limited mobility in mind, I'd say Stockholm is a DIY port.

You can do everything in your own pace and the public transport network is very accessible even for those with limited mobility.

Get yourself a 24 hour travel card for the public transport network when you arrive and you should be able to get yourself around easily, it is also much cheaper then doing a hoho bus tour.

I've done one of the HoHo bus tours in Stockholm and I was not impressed.

@pompeii I'm not aware of any discount codes for the Stockholm card.

Thank you so much Desdichado62 for your helpful info!!! We will just DIY then instead of taking a tour or the HOHO!!!:)

Thanks, yes I had seen those Stromma trips into the archipelago, and thought about doing the one that leaves at 10:30am. It returns at 1pm, so we would then have the afternoon to do our other sightseeing. I just noticed that our departure time has been changed to 7pm, which is good (my original paperwork said 6.) I figure we would have to leave Stockholm for Nynashamn no later than 5pm, which leaves us 4 hours to see what we want to see and get to the train station for the return. Would be tight for both old town and Vasa. Maybe we could squeeze old town in before the boat trip, then Vasa afterwards. Our day is still a work in progress. I would take the ship sponsored transport except it doesn't leave until 9:45am, which is way too late as far as I'm concerned.

POMPEII...I think we'll still have a good sail in through the archipalego even tho' docking in Nynasham . I am told by others who have done it that it is about a four hour sail through to get to Stockholm, so just a bit Less from Nynasham. There are boats from Nynasham to the nearby islands. ..it will have to be an early rise to see it, however, given the ship I am on (Royal Prncess) docks at 7 am...can always get the views on the sail out.

The Nynasham information office gives a number of links including to taxi firms and prices to get to Stockholm...wld need to be a share to make it pay... I see from one of the posts above that there are rail works in June but it looks as if they are planned to start after we visit Nynasham.

Hi, something came up on a new thread that I am hoping you would be able to help with http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46240307&posted=1#post46240307

It appears the cruise ship shuttles from the Regal/Royal Princess from Nynashamn are scheduled to leave at 9:45 even though the ship docks at 7 am. If this schedule is new, I am a bit concerned that a lot of passengers may try to take the commuter train into Stockholm (the Regal/Royal can hold 3,500 passengers).

Do you know if they add extra trains on the days when cruise ships dock? Do the commuter trains leave every half hour in the summer or do they run more frequently then? Is it possible (or necessary) for people overseas to purchase tickets on the commuter train ahead of time to ensure they can get on an early train?

Kitkat, I don't know if they add extra trains/run more frequently but I don't think so due to capacity limits for rail traffic into/out from Stockholm C from the south.

Each single train (6 cars) have 374 seats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL_X60

Possibly they connect more cars to make longer trains but again I don't know.

Unfortunately paper tickets/travel cards are not possible to buy in advance, even if you buy travel cards from the SL website you need to pick it up at a ticket machine or retailer,

however there is an official smartphone app with which you can buy tickets direct to your phone. SMS/text-me-a-ticket have been decommissioned in favour of the app.

I think I mentioned it in the old thread but I forgot about when I made this thread.

You either pay by connecting your bank card to it or by paying by invoice.

However I think the latter only might work for people living in Sweden?

However the app is Swedish only I think so you might find it troublesome to use.

Most important is that Nynäshamn is Zone C and central Stockholm is Zone A

Choose Nynäshamn station for "Från" and Stockholm C (or Stockholm Centralstation) for Till and the app will automatically sort out the zones.

Also regarding the prices, for people aged 20-65 uses Helt pris (full price) al others uses reducerat pris (reduced price).

For buses show the ticket to the bus driver, for automated gates/stations with optic readers you need to hold up your phone so that the optic reader can read your ticket.

Information in Swedish with links: http://sl.se/sv/info/puffar/mobilapp/

Edited by Desdichado62

The commuter train from Nynashamn is included in the Stockholm card, so if you pre-purchase one of those I think you can just board(?) You would need to have it mailed to you beforehand, as the tourist office in Nynashamn doesn't open until 9am or so. And of course, picking it up in Stockholm won't be of any help for the train.

Pompeii, sure you can but I also depends on if you will be able to use the full value?

I'm just mentioning it as an option. No one would purchase it just for the commuter train of course, but if Kitkat is planning to get one anyway then there is no worry about getting tickets for the train. Not everyone knows transportation from Nynashamn to Stockholm is included with the card so I thought it might help to mention it. We may get them even if we won't use quite the whole value because they seem more convenient and hopefully quicker than having to buy separate tickets for buses, trains, museums, etc. Haven't decided for sure yet.