SF Pier 39 questions....

TLC535

So, a couple questions for you SF locals....we are planning on having dinner pre-cruise the night before down @ Pier 39, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on these restaurants...

Fog Harbor Fish House

Neptune's Waterfront

Pier Market Seafood

They all seem to get pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor, but curious if any of you locals had a preference...I know it is touristy there, but love being on the water & the views (sea lions :p;))

second question....we will be staying @ the Holiday Inn on North Point St. which is about a 1/2 mile from Pier 39 and wanted to know about the safety in walking back to the hotel after dark.

Thanks in advance :D

Sea lions aside, locals don't let friends dine at Pier 39 :) ;)

They tend to go to places like these:

The Ferry Building Restaurants http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/merchant_list.php

The Waterfront Restaurant

http://waterfrontsf.com/waterfrontsf.com/index.html

From your hotel you can easily board the F Street Car line and it'll take you right in front of these places.

The area around your hotel is Fisherman's Wharf, the most touristy area of San Francisco so its generally safe. Take the usual tourist precautions and you'll be fine.

I also like the Waterfront restaurant. Also love the restaurant right next to Pier 27, but can't remember the name. If your looking at the back of the ship, it is the one on the right. Yummy.

It is safe to walk back to your hotel at night, but be aware of your surroundings as you probably know.

scomas...down the water front just a bit...or the cliff house..take the geary bus from union square and see the real sf--and take taxi back.

us locals do not go to pier 39...I think I have been there 2 times in 30 yrs. and I used to catch the boat at pier 41 every day to work on alcatraz...

Understand the locals' reluctance to recommend Pier 39, but it does have its attractions. In spite of DH having been born in the city, we've eaten at 2 of your 3 restaurants. Fog Harbor was OK, nothing special. If my memory is correct, that it's the one at the end of the pier, Neptune's on the other hand does have something special....a spectacular view of the bay and Alcatraz. Food is pretty standard fare, but still good. It also holds a special memory for us - many years ago taking kids and our first grandchild (about 3 at the time) there for lunch. Don't remember if I ordered crab or lobster, but as soon as the food was delivered, grandson (who has never seen either before) shouts out a warning: "Run Grammy, there's a monster on your plate!".

Edited by Kartgv