Karakter or Mullet Beach

Hello! Will be in St. Maarten on March 26 for the day with Freedom of the Seas. Have already spent time on Orient Beach, and Maho - loved the planes! Am wondering about Simpson Beach, specifically Karakter Beach Bar area vs Mullet Beach. Anyone been? Have any recommendations? Looking for sun, chairs, umbrellas, food and drinks. Have a 20 year son with us so am looking to avoid textile free. Thanks!

Hello! Will be in St. Maarten on March 26 for the day with Freedom of the Seas. Have already spent time on Orient Beach, and Maho - loved the planes! Am wondering about Simpson Beach, specifically Karakter Beach Bar area vs Mullet Beach. Anyone been? Have any recommendations? Looking for sun, chairs, umbrellas, food and drinks. Have a 20 year son with us so am looking to avoid textile free. Thanks!

Beach wise I would choice Mullet. Washroom wise I would choose Karakter. I have never eaten at Mullet but I have eaten several times at Karakter and really love the food. I don't think that one has more toplessness than the other but I have seen a few topless sunbathers at both. I enjoy both beaches.

We've eaten at Rosies several times.

Great beach food -- ribs and chicken, cold beer.

But our last visit, late in the day on the way to our timeshare, the food was not good. Stems and seeds.

We have yet to visit Dalio's, also on Mullet, but apparently they have a great hot dogs as well as ribs and chicken.

Re: topless. Twice now we have noticed several of the girls from the nearby nightclubs lounging on Mullet, working on their tans. :)

gary

Beach wise I would choice Mullet. Washroom wise I would choose Karakter. I have never eaten at Mullet but I have eaten several times at Karakter and really love the food. I don't think that one has more toplessness than the other but I have seen a few topless sunbathers at both. I enjoy both beaches.

We've eaten at Rosies several times.

Great beach food -- ribs and chicken, cold beer.

But our last visit, late in the day on the way to our timeshare, the food was not good. Stems and seeds.

We have yet to visit Dalio's, also on Mullet, but apparently they have a great hot dogs as well as ribs and chicken.

Re: topless. Twice now we have noticed several of the girls from the nearby nightclubs lounging on Mullet, working on their tans. :)

gary

So where is Maho in location to Mullet? I did go to Maho a few years ago and had a blast watching the planes land. It was awesome. If we go to Mullet, would like to be near a beach bar.

So where is Maho in location to Mullet? I did go to Maho a few years ago and had a blast watching the planes land. It was awesome. If we go to Mullet, would like to be near a beach bar.

Check out the full discussion in this older thread about walking from Mullet Bay Beach to Maho.

Lots of information that, for the most part, is still current today.

The maket has changed hands, as did the ice cream parlor, but you'll get the idea, and my Google Earth captures will show you the whole area.

gary

Think of it this way. Simpson Bay Beach the Maho which is the airport beach and Mullet is on the other side of Maho.

I find Karakter to be a real beach bar like the many on Orient and Calmos on Grand Case Beach and Dreams and Sands at Nettle Bay and Sunset and Guy's at Maho. I have been to Mullet probably 2 dozen times but have never been to a bar there. Is Rosie's a beach bar like the others that I mentioned or a place on the beach to get food and drinks kind of like how I look at the bar/restaurant at Le Galion? Perhaps it's just me. We tend to make Le Galion and Mullet DIY beach days and bring are own food and chairs there while on holiday. These two beaches lend well to that.

One nice thing about starting at Karakter is the chairs and umbrellas are free if you purchase a drink. If you are not happy there just have them call you a taxi and continue on to Mullet.

Check out this Google Earth shot.

th_SXM%20POI.jpg

(click)

For scale, note that (as the crow flies):

Cruise Facility to Creole Rock is about 7 1/4 miles

Cruise Facility to Orient Beach is about 5 1/4 miles

Cruise Facility to Marigot is about 4 1/2 miles

Cruise Facility to Mullet Bay Beach is about 6 miles

gary

There were 5 ships in port the day we were there and the last beach chairs were gone at 10:30. ( to us). The drinks and food were good, the service just fine. The planes do roar by behind the bus so it is not a quiet beach. We had a fine day.

We had over a foot of snow today....over 4 feet deep at the end of the driveway....I could use a melon colida about now ;)

Margaret

There were 5 ships in port the day we were there and the last beach chairs were gone at 10:30. ( to us). The drinks and food were good, the service just fine. The planes do roar by behind the bus so it is not a quiet beach. We had a fine day.

We had over a foot of snow today....over 4 feet deep at the end of the driveway....I could use a melon colida about now ;)

Margaret

Did you find that there were lots of others from ships?

Margaret

Did you have any trouble getting a taxi back to the ship? How long did you end up staying?

Spent three mornings at Karakter last month. If you get there early, before 10, you should be able to get a chair even if there are several ships in port. Spend some time sunning and swimming. If you travel light you can then walk west down Simpson Bay beach to Maho beach. There is a set of stairs at the extreme west end of Simpson Bay Beach that will take you onto the Road on Beacon Hill. Just walk toward the West end of the runway and you will be at Maho Beach and Sunset Bar and Grill. Its about a 20 minute walk from Karakter to Maho. If you want to Carry on to Mullet it is about another 15 minute walk to Mullet. Just follow the road that passes the end of the runway, thru the Maho village and follow the signs to Mullet. There are lots of cabs at Maho Beach to get back to the ship. The trip back to the ship takes about 30 minutes, leave yourself a little buffer though in case the traffic is slow or the drawbridge in up for 10 or 15 minutes. If you enjoy walking you could see all three! It's not likely that there will be any chairs available at Maho as space is limited but it is an experience to have the jets come in over your head. Just google SXM flight arrivals in the morning before you leave the ship to find out what time the larger jets come in.

Spent three mornings at Karakter last month. If you get there early, before 10, you should be able to get a chair even if there are several ships in port. Spend some time sunning and swimming. If you travel light you can then walk west down Simpson Bay beach to Maho beach. There is a set of stairs at the extreme west end of Simpson Bay Beach that will take you onto the Road on Beacon Hill. Just walk toward the West end of the runway and you will be at Maho Beach and Sunset Bar and Grill. Its about a 20 minute walk from Karakter to Maho. If you want to Carry on to Mullet it is about another 15 minute walk to Mullet. Just follow the road that passes the end of the runway, thru the Maho village and follow the signs to Mullet. There are lots of cabs at Maho Beach to get back to the ship. The trip back to the ship takes about 30 minutes, leave yourself a little buffer though in case the traffic is slow or the drawbridge in up for 10 or 15 minutes. If you enjoy walking you could see all three! It's not likely that there will be any chairs available at Maho as space is limited but it is an experience to have the jets come in over your head. Just google SXM flight arrivals in the morning before you leave the ship to find out what time the larger jets come in.

I have walked from Karakter to Maho as you described. I timed the walk and posted directions. The walk on the beach to the stairs took 15 minutes and the walk through the streets in the Beacon Hill area took another 15 minutes. I have been teased as a fast walker around here for years BTW. :)

I agree that the walk from Maho to Mullet is about 15 minutes.

The "buffer" when a ship is on the line needs to be 1 hour plus on the trip back from Maho to the port if you have an all aboard time between 4:30 and 5:30.

I was just at Mullet Bay last Thursday. It is beautiful. I did not see anyone topless. I found the vendors to be the most annoying thing.

I have been to Mullet a couple of dozen times and only saw ladies lying on their loungers topless but I never remember anyone walking around topless. I think that since its on the Dutch side and I wouldnt expect it at Mullet that I would remember this.

Went to Mullet once ( and walked to Maho ),

Saw only one woman topless, she stayed on her beach chair and didn't walk around "showing off"...

When the wind is in the right ( or wrong ) direction, the waves can be rough and the undertow pretty strong.

There are a few stories about injuries at Mullet here on CC. The day before we went someone broke an arm when she got caught on the rocks by big waves.

We do plan to go there again next January...

Interested in taking a bus to Simpson Bay Beach Karacter then walking to Maho then Mullet.. Is it safe walking for kids? Not sure if there is a walkway or not? Tried to find the directions for this but having a hard time on my phone trying to find it..We board on Sat. 😊

Interested in taking a bus to Simpson Bay Beach Karacter then walking to Maho then Mullet.. Is it safe walking for kids? Not sure if there is a walkway or not? Tried to find the directions for this but having a hard time on my phone trying to find it..We board on Sat.

I would suggest that you pick two beaches. Mullet Maho is the best combination IMHO. Too much walking to do all 3 especially with children.

Bus to Mullet and then walk the 15 minutes the same way the bus drove over to Maho. You will have a 15 minute walk to and from the bus stop from the pier to town. Adding in 15 minutes from the Bus stop to Karakter and 30 minutes from Karakter to Maho with kids would just be too much and take away instead of add to your day.

I would suggest that you pick two beaches. Mullet Maho is the best combination IMHO. Too much walking to do all 3 especially with children.

Bus to Mullet and then walk the 15 minutes the same way the bus drove over to Maho. You will have a 15 minute walk to and from the bus stop from the pier to town. Adding in 15 minutes from the Bus stop to Karakter and 30 minutes from Karakter to Maho with kids would just be too much and take away instead of add to your day.

Thx..i was hoping u would respond..

that was our original plan but then Karacter started looking nice also.. thx for the help.

Hello!

I am the OP on this thread and wanted to post back our experience at Karakter. We were there this past Thursday.

First off, we were literally some of the first people off Freedom of the Seas. We walked from the ship throught the port shopping area directly to the taxi area. We were shown to a taxi really fast and were on our way. We told the taxi guy we wanted to stop at La Sucriere along the way so my son could pick up some pastries and he was happy to do so. After a quick stop there, we continued on. With the stop at the bakery we arrived at Karakter about 40 minutes after we departed the cruise terminal. We three were the first ones at Karakter at 9:00am.

We had our choice of loungers and umbrellas. We ordered drinks after we had been there for a while - nonalcoholic fresh fruit concoctions, daiquiris, mojitos, beers - all were excellent and reasonably priced. For lunch we had the creole grouper with plantains and rice and coconut shrimp. All excellent and priced well. All beach chairs were taken by 10:50 and all the lunch tables were pretty well filled by the time we left at 1. Taxi came about 15 minutes after being called, and took about 30 minutes to drop us off at Front Street.

We had a relaxing morning at a beautiful and quiet beach. Things were starting to liven up about the time we left - would love to come back sometime and spend the whole day or evening here - I think it would be a lot of fun! The water is so clear and the beach is pretty. Bathrooms are clean - there are 3, and a shower/changing stall as well. Very small area selling t-shirts and such. Next to the airport so you hear planes take off and land and see some but not anything like Maho.

There were no vendors here.

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations and assistance. We really enjoyed our morning here.