Art Classes

sunny seas

Sailing on Arcadia Med cruise for 17 nights, not many consecutive days at sea, wondering if there will be art classes on sea days. Don't want to pack paints etc if there are no classes. I would appreciate any info or how I can find out. After all if I don't need to carry art materials I can fit in an extra dress or pair of shoes in my case. :p

I also look for these classes. In the old P & O brochures, there was a grid over two pages which told you which ships did art classes & all the other activities, facilities, etc. ( Adonia for example does not have art classes) but the new brochure does not give this information! (I do not like the way the latest brochure is set out anyway) So I had to ring them to ask. I was told it is still the case the other ships will have them if there are 6 sea days or more.

On the Azura trans-Atlantic last October, there were Art Classes in the morning and the afternoon. The tutor was very good.

BUT

He was only scheduled to teach for 45 mins per lesson. This is totally inadequate as throughout the cruise, additional students would still be arriving and he would have to break off and spend 5-10 minutes going through the syllabus, selling the art packs etc, so sometime the class would be down to 35 minutes.

On my return I wrote to P&O entertainment explaining the situation but I never received a response.

FWIW On my last Cunard voyage the lessons were two hours in the morning and the same pm.

Given the significant numbers of passengers who turned up for the lessons, for the life of me, I just cannot understand why P & O don't give their Art classes more priority.

It is interesting to compare the razzmatazz around the Celebrity chefs with their cooking classes, with the "also-ran" attitude to the Art classes.

Only Carnival plc knows how many art packs they sell, but given that you do not need the equivalent of a huge shiny stainless steel kitchen for a place to hold art classes they would seem to be a better overall revenue earner for the Company.

Perhaps the interest in the new Art show on the BBC will encourage them to revise and upgrade their importance in the entertainment department. It appears one can only hope.

On our cruise on Aurora last September the Art classes were held both am and pm and lasted 2 hrs . The pm one was a repeat of am. Some people went to both. I think it was about £20/25 for the pad and paints. I enjoyed them but my friend wasn't very impressed and only attended the first two.

I wasn't impressed on the Oriana classes last year. I arrived really enthusiastic but she just shoved a bag at me and told me it was £35.... there was a brush or two and the pad and a few bits. She gave a quick demonstration. It was the kind of art I would call rough art. She did not come round the group to advise or encourage at all. She was with her Husband but they both looked and acted so miserably.

I knew at the beginning I should have said no thank you, but didn't do so. A big mistake. It wasn't a happy jolly place at all.

Edited by indiana123

It is disapointing to hear your thoughts.

Traditions like art classes at sea, are now just a revenue income and it doesnt matter if you enjoy or not.

At home, in my younger days, I got started in modelling by being a "Subject" for the local arts class to enjoy.

and they did.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is a model dont ya know. Tally Ho

I love the Art classes on cruises - have only had one lousy tutor in many years of travelling, and she was on a Princess ship.

I think P&O cruises usually have art classes on longer cruises, so you should take your kit.

Last September I was on Aurora for an Eastern Med cruise. The art tutor was Easa Ali, who gave us challenging subjects every sea day, but managed to guide us through them with wit and patience, and I think almost everyone produced something they could be proud of.

Another artist teaches regularly on C&V and Fred Olsen cruises is Peter Woolley. He's a great tutor, mainly landscapes - AND he blogs his experiences when he's on a cruise. definitely worth following. http://www.peterwoolley.co.uk/blog/