Adventures on the Allure, Teen family! 2/8/15, Western Caribbean, LOTS of Pictures!

Thanks for posting your review. It was awesome. Really appreciate the details. My husband is not a huge cruise fan, but has agreed to do one. We are taking our "kids" on their first cruise (they are 19 & 21). Been looking at Chankanaab for our time in Cozumel so the info you provided was great. My husband wants to try the flowrider, but I have been already told no photos or video of him will be allowed. :)

I wish my husband enjoyed cruises more, although he sure has been on his fair share! He'd much more go to an all-inclusive resort, with a huge pool and not have to pay for anything extra at any time ever. Plus for him, it's much less crowded feeling.

We really enjoyed Chankanaab, if you have any questions, let me know and maybe I can help!

You gotta take at least a picture on the flowrider - it's proof he did it! :D

After Alex was pretty successful on the boogie board flowrider, he decided, what the heck - he was going to try the standing up one. Really, what did he have to lose, and when was he going to try again? So, notice that none of the rest of us came even close to trying it? First off it was pretty cold that last day, especially by this time. Pretty windy! And second, well - nope, not trying it!

So, off to flowrider #2 we all went....waiting in line, watching the techniques

17647980751_5aca9620f7_b.jpg

Ok, Alex's turn! His face says it all - "there's NO way I'm going to be able to do this! Who am I kidding?!"

17647905045_849482d285_b.jpg

The guy was really, really patient - trying to help Alex with his balance and get him standing on the board. I give these guys, and girls, a lot of credit for doing this all day long! Plus, like I said - it was cold up there!

17461591549_9367bb3747_b.jpg

17648010261_5f5b8ea1ef_b.jpg

And woa.....wrong way!

17460072198_14da4c8569_b.jpg

working on the stance

17460086848_45c5fa53af_b.jpg

Ok - look at me, look in my eyes....

17025424954_3224a3ea1d_b.jpg

Loosen up kid! You're too tense!

17647963895_d9d1508714_b.jpg

17647978005_c526062644_b.jpg

17025454044_809af764d4_b.jpg

And here is the guy helping Alex - please just ignore me laughing throughout the video! I was really enjoying the whole thing! Not really laughing at Alex!

[YOUTUBE]Afo98sgi9bw[/YOUTUBE]

And then he let go of him, and well....

[YOUTUBE]NATwJnN_KKw[/YOUTUBE]

Overall, Alex was super glad he tried it, and probably if we're ever on a ship with the flowrider again, he'd do it again! Probably earlier in the cruise so he can practice! He's convinced he has horrible balance...not that he actually might have to practice to get the hang of it!

After our day out on deck doing everything we didn't do all week, it was time to head back in to get ready for dinner. But on the way, we wanted to stop for a quick picture

17621671446_2ca6655370_b.jpg

Dinner tonight was at Giovanni's Table. Before dinner, we took a bit of a walk around the ship, just taking some pictures.

17460149948_a0ba7abce8_b.jpg

17461684219_486e275eab_b.jpg

As the sun was setting tonight the sky was a really unique color, and everything around had this pretty cool hue....

17648107401_e008fb9bc8_b.jpg

The picture is blurry...but just look at the sky and the horizon! It's all so flat!

17645591632_11e3d598a5_b.jpg

17645626372_f4ac93ccd3_b.jpg

And now it's dinner time! 5:30 reservations at Giovanni's Table. So, we made it through the entire week with our pre-set dinner reservations. It was such a challenge to decide before the cruise what time we'd want to eat every night! I know people who do the traditional dining do this all the time, but we never do this! As you see, we like the speciality dining, and we knew we'd have to make reservations in advance, and then lining them up with the port times and show times - wow - that was a challenge! Not to mention that by the time I did go to make the reservations, a lot of times were already blocked out! But, here it is, our last night and we did it! Every time worked out. Did I like every time, no, not all of them. But they were ok...I like a much later meal when we don't have plans afterwards...but Keith likes an early meal - so for him, that's fine! But tonight, an early dinner - ok, because we have the dreaded packing to finish up.... so sad!

Anyway, here's Megan at dinner! Mostly the picture is supposed to show what the restaurant looks like! It was cute.

17621761126_370267bb4b_b.jpg

We liked our meal. I remember that. Right now, I have pretty much no memory of what any of us ordered though! Sorry! But it was good, the service was good, and I think it was one of our favorites!

During our meal, Alex - from Madagascar that is, came by outside in Central Park. We the kids and I went out after we ordered our food and before it came to get some pictures! We're a bit crazy like that I guess!

17621770216_081037fc65_b.jpg

One of my favorites! Alex and Alex!

17645677172_d563198324_b.jpg

17648130125_7b1a87c11f_b.jpg

This is Alex's no more paparazzi picture.....

17621800086_34d00b3ce6_b.jpg

A few more pictures around Central Park before we said goodbye!

17648222301_3ddcfcd0d2_b.jpg

17645711522_8a3de4f23f_b.jpg

This is the bottom of the Rising Tide bar! We never did have a drink while taking a ride....another trip I suppose!

17648159115_e25c0d42cc_b.jpg

150 Central Park....Keith and I thought about going here one night for dinner. But we stuck with our original choices. Again, another time!

17461830119_946737dc6d_b.jpg

17648256331_725ccda589_b.jpg

A quick walk by the Cupcake Cupboard

17645790982_b97426a2f4_b.jpg

No idea why or where we were going....

I'm trying to figure out when I packed....obviously I did! So, what I can come up with is that after dinner we went back to the cabins and I started packing. I kicked everyone out because I have my way of packing to make unpacking and laundry easy and there comes a point where helping is just well, NOT helping anymore! So they went to the "Selection of Fountains" show at the Aqua Theater. Peace and quiet for me to do a quick finish of packing! By the time they got back, I was about done. Usually we carry off our own luggage, but for some reason I thought it made sense to put the luggage out and pick it up with the 2 million other bags at the port. So, I got everything packed, kept out our clothes for disembarking, and then the kids and I went to the Family Comedy show at 10:30!

On the way....

A quick trip to the Boardwalk

17025654074_9eebc845fd_b.jpg

17461860409_36395990e9_b.jpg

We haven't had ice cream yet from the Ice Cream Parlor! Time for a stop!

17025688204_a869895ca9_b.jpg

17645775812_24a23a8afe_b.jpg

17461917889_2a72002a4e_b.jpg

17461886429_af8f33c0de_b.jpg

We were seeing a comedy show, so of course we went to the Comedy Club right? Well, we were there, and we were waiting....only turns out, the Family show was in the regular theater! Ok, no problem - but we did get some pictures of the whole area down by the comedy area!

17645795622_1eb4e8df24_b.jpg

Studio B where the Ice Skating/Ice Shows are

17025718994_50ca854d03_b.jpg

The comedy show was good. Nice family humor, and the Amber Theater was full. It was a good ending to the cruise. Afterwards, the kids and I walked around and Megan went CRAZY with the art filters on my camera...so, here you go!

17460392948_50dd029583_b.jpg

17648391251_51be0d965b_b.jpg

17460429098_5712165bb3_b.jpg

17648384621_67117f3edd_b.jpg

17622003796_704faa45e0_b.jpg

17648330815_bfe745fa36_b.jpg

And then when I got back to my cabin, I had this....see, Keith is sound asleep in half the bed, but he'd slide the towel art over and keep it nice and arranged so I could take a picture. :)

17462019899_c2cc4b1002_b.jpg

Sadly that pretty much wraps up the Allure part of the trip! I have a full day in Ft. Lauderdale though that I'll share. I just have to upload the pictures. And I have some final thoughts about the cruise, the ports, and the ship.

Plus if I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask!

Starting the Ft. Lauderdale upload tonight, so maybe I'll get to the posts this weekend! Thanks for hanging in there!:D

I have really enjoyed all your fantastic pictures and the fabulous review. We are going on our first cruise this summer with our kids who are 12, 17, and 19 so it was awesome to see the teen perspective. Thank you so much for sharing!

Did your waterproof camera recover from the moisture problem?

Tell Alex I've watched some pretty experienced surfers wipe out on the Flowrider. I think he was brave to even try it.

I agree! I think he was brave too! Especially after standing in line watching so many people go before him!

I just love reading your reviews. I learn so much, especially if I an going on same itinerary.

Thank you! I love sharing our experiences, so it's great that I'm able to help others out with their trips!

Thanks for sharing your experience. We sail her for the first time in September and will use what you have shared to assist in our planning.

You're welcome! I'm glad to have helped out! You're going to have a great time!!

I have really enjoyed all your fantastic pictures and the fabulous review. We are going on our first cruise this summer with our kids who are 12, 17, and 19 so it was awesome to see the teen perspective. Thank you so much for sharing!

Did your waterproof camera recover from the moisture problem?

I'm glad my review helped out! I always enjoy reading other people's reviews when they have kids about the same age as mine, so I know what you mean about the teen perspective! Enjoy your first cruise! I find it's a great type of vacation for families! We get our together time, and yet still all get to do our own thing at times too!

I think the waterproof camera recovered, at least that day. But I haven't had the chance to use it underwater again to see if it happens again. We're going to Mexico in July, so I'll see if it happens again! I hope not!!

I haven't totally disappeared! I am going to write about or day in Ft. Lauderdale before we went home! Because I know several people look for things to do if they spend a night or have a late flight. So, that's coming!

Before that though.....here we are....docked and ready to leave the Allure. Not my favorite picture, but we're on our balcony, and saying hello Ft. Lauderdale, bye bye Allure!

17999535786_5f8c11be60_b.jpg

Now, when we booked the cruise, you may get the impression from me that I love to vacation right? So for whatever reason, I decided to book a flight home at 9:20 PM! Sure, extend that vacation as long as possible! We get an extra day in Ft. Lauderdale without having to pay for a hotel for another night! Fantastic! But what in the world were we going to do in Ft. Lauderdale??? No beach, we didn't want sandy clothes, wet bathing suits and all that mess if we had to get on a plane later that night!

We could do a Segway Tour! That sounds fun! But Megan had her doubts...would she run off the sidewalk, crashing into traffic and cause a major accident in Ft. Lauderdale? Seriously...this is her issue.

We couldn't use the luggage express because our flight was too late....no hotels in the area worked for a day pass....it was looking grim.

So, we decided we'd rent a car and go to the Everglades! Now, Megan was petrified! In 4th grade she had a teacher that showed them some movie about snakes - pythons in particular and how they could get loose and kill people. Well, apparently when people got tired of their pythons, they let them loose in the Everglades. I suppose? And so, she was picturing the Everglades OVERRUN with giant pythons suffocating and eating people left and right! Now, she's been to Florida many times. I'm pretty sure she's been through the Everglades before! But she insisted NO WAY would she go to the Everglades! Well....guess what...she was going!

Anyway....since we were renting the car, for some reason, I thought we'd just check the luggage off and let RCCL take care of it. So we had our assigned time to disembark. Of the entire trip, the was the only time I had a complaint. It was the most disorganized mess ever!

First our number was called....we go to the Main Dining Room area to wait.

17838354380_4a5d20af32_b.jpg

I can't even tell you how long we waited, but given the fact that our number was called to go there, we should have had a pretty short wait. Well, we probably waited at least an hour there. Finally we asked if we could just leave. They told us we could, but our luggage may not be ready. Really?

So then we walk down to the customs area...the line to even get to the luggage, another 40 minutes or so. Then there was our luggage, right in our section. Then line to go through customs...oh, another 40 minutes! It probably took 3 hours to get off the ship and out the door. Never again....we will do self disembark and walk off before the masses! We've done that on our past cruises and never had to wait like that!

Now, you'd think we were home free right? No.....we're renting a car! So, I picked National I think. They have a bus that comes into the port to pick you up. No organization whatsoever in the line. Someone needed to be there to let people know that they could NOT just go up to the front of the line and think they could walk right onto the bus! What is a line? I don't get that. So, we waited probably another 40 minutes for the bus!

It was then that I thought my 9:20 flight might not have been all that late in the long run! We may barely make it! :)

We finally got our car and were on the road to our Everglades adventure! Whew.......

Yikes. What a shame you lost your day in Ft Lauderdale. So upsetting. Did you end up with any time at all?

Your post is scaring me. We thought of booking the 9:20pm flight as well, but ended up going with an 11:40am flight...hoping to get earlier luggage tag. But after reading your post, am thinking maybe we should self disembark (problem is I am not much help with carrying luggage due to back issues).

Hoping you got 'some' time to enjoy in Ft Lauderdale.

Yikes. What a shame you lost your day in Ft Lauderdale. So upsetting. Did you end up with any time at all?

Your post is scaring me. We thought of booking the 9:20pm flight as well, but ended up going with an 11:40am flight...hoping to get earlier luggage tag. But after reading your post, am thinking maybe we should self disembark (problem is I am not much help with carrying luggage due to back issues).

Hoping you got 'some' time to enjoy in Ft Lauderdale.

Well, there were definitely people who got off the ship earlier than we did, so hopefully if you put on your paperwork that you have an 11:40 am flight, you will be called earlier than we were. We certainly weren't in the first groups! I'm sure they determine your group number by the time of your flights, so you should be alright, and the airport is close, so I think you'd be ok. We knew we had time. If you see you're in a later group, just let them know you need to be off earlier and they'll adjust it.

We did lose the morning, but with the late flight we still had a pretty decent amount of time to do what we wanted. It did feel rushed getting the car, and we were all starving and trying to find lunch was a bit of a cranky experience! No Dog House or 15 places to eat on a whim??? :eek: But once we ate, we were all fine! Hopefully I'll have a few minutes this weekend to finish up our day in Ft. Lauderdale and then post some final thoughts on the Allure and the whole cruise in general!

Thanks for your feedback about getting off.

What a shame your disembarkment was such a lousy experience and spoiled the mood a bit. And can imagine it being a "culture shock" not having all those complimentary restaurants available and right there.

Look forward hearing about your day in Ft Lauderdale...and especially about your final remakrs about Allure. And wondering when /what your next cruise will be. ;)

Ok then....let's see if I can get to this day in Ft. Lauderdale afterall! It's been so busy with the last weeks of school for the kids, and all that goes with it! Sometimes I wonder how we ever manage to take vacations at all because when we're home, life keeps us so busy!

We left off with line after line after line....first waiting to get off the ship then waiting to get to our luggage, then waiting to go through customs, then waiting to get to the bus to get to our rental car!...But finally, we made it!

After looking through all of the different Everglade Airboat tours we could do, we decided to go to Billie Swamp Safari. It may have been one of the farthest ones, but we did have quite a bit of time...well, we should have anyway! But we figured they had a lot there and got good reviews. So, why not! Off we went out into the Seminole Indian Reservation.....I'd say it was probably after 2:30 by the time we got to the Indian Reservation

17839795119_02534a39a4_b.jpg

On the way there were some areas of the everglades that were on fire, and we saw a helicopter dropping water to try to put the fires out, and there were some firetrucks on the ground as well.

17839792769_4b47ec1bb1_b.jpg

And we finally arrived! We scheduled both the air boat ride and the Swamp Buggy Ride.....

18026050555_08fec27a51_b.jpg

And are they finally starting to look tired? Or is it Megan's fear of pythons and Alex's total annoyance at her fear of pythons showing in this picture? You be the judge of this one? Here we're waiting for our ride on the airboat!

17838395960_92607c74be_b.jpg

Not sure what that face is by Alex, but we're on board! And it was a really fun ride! Even Megan finally realized she probably wasn't going to die by the end!

18026807211_5b84b4bcd8_b.jpg

17838130818_9291f50142_b.jpg

During part of the ride we'd go fast and the water would spray, and it was like being in a movie! And then we'd go slow and look for wildlife, including alligators....and then we went into the more jungley area (yes, I made that word up) and our guide told us about the park area and the wildlife there and we spent about 5 minutes just sitting there looking around, asking questions. It was very cool!

17838134838_0ea0a7444a_b.jpg

17999586476_bc877d24b2_b.jpg

17999581246_7bf264b6c9_b.jpg

18022784782_1bfda0b43e_b.jpg

Little turtle here on a log!

18026856411_5d77efac96_b.jpg

17839762899_da32bb97e9_b.jpg

It was really beautiful there

17838066078_f5a624d03e_b.jpg

17839746099_a7b8a9e69d_b.jpg

17838307200_f857aab97e_b.jpg

Another airboat coming up behind us!

18022717642_bb1145800d_b.jpg

17999504626_01f51260f4_b.jpg

There is also a Florida Panther, which they say has the largest enclosure in South Florida....

17839728099_9698b4db5c_b.jpg