Izumi - Menu Help Please

Can anyone who has eaten at Izumi on Allure of the Seas tell me what you thought of the quality of the food please ? (I know it's subjective but any comments welcome).

Also, is there enough to eat on the menu to feel like a proper evening meal with several courses if you don't like sushi ?

(I've looked at the menu but can't deduce this - lol !!!)

I am a sushi snob, having lived in Japan for several years and gotten it from the experts who have been preparing it for decades.

Izumi is the BEST place outside of a Tokyo Susho Go Round that I have ever eaten at. if only they would find a way a way to provide tako yaki I would eat there every night.

their unagi is beyond amazing

if sushi is not your thing, I recommend a meal of soup and a hot rock plate. Miso is free, but try one of the others too.

Can anyone who has eaten at Izumi on Allure of the Seas tell me what you thought of the quality of the food please ? (I know it's subjective but any comments welcome).

Also, is there enough to eat on the menu to feel like a proper evening meal with several courses if you don't like sushi ?

(I've looked at the menu but can't deduce this - lol !!!)

The food is quite good (the sushi even more so). The menu looks very sparse, but there are plenty of non-sushi options and you could have several "proper evening meal" experiences without repeats.

Last year on Allure, I ate there three times over two weeks. See this link for the first. Here is the second. And this is the third. Hopefully, that will give you a better idea of what the menu items are like. Keep in mind that you'll get complimentary edamame and mizo soup with whatever else you order.

Personally, I love the place. As long as you are OK with Japan/Asian-style dining, you should do just fine without sushi.

The food is quite good (the sushi even more so). The menu looks very sparse, but there are plenty of non-sushi options and you could have several "proper evening meal" experiences without repeats.

Last year on Allure, I ate there three times over two weeks. See this link for the first. Here is the second. And this is the third. Hopefully, that will give you a better idea of what the menu items are like. Keep in mind that you'll get complimentary edamame and mizo soup with whatever else you order.

Personally, I love the place. As long as you are OK with Japan/Asian-style dining, you should do just fine without sushi.

I ditto this. Last year DD & I sailed on Allure. DD loves Asian/Japanese food and has become quite the epicurean on the subject. Since I know absolutely nothing about this type of food (I don't count Panda Express:rolleyes:), I left it up to her to pick out my dinner. I had the hotrock beef dinner and DD chose a non-raw meat roll for me (can't remember what it was called) & both were delicious. DD said her dinner was excellent (she ate the adventurous/exotic stuff:p)

Wish we had eaten there more often. Will definitely be making multiple reservations for Izumi on our Oasis 2016 cruise!

Edited by novalab

Our experience with Izumi has been: On short cruises, excellent. Long cruises, horrible.

The whole concept of sushi is freshness....when sushi ingredients sit around for a week or two there is no helping them. The deteriorate fast.

On our transatlantic cruise on the Brilliance last May our experience at Izumi made me sick and queasy. The fish was slimy and off tasting. Other items that weren't meant to be fresh were fine. Loved the dessert crepe thingy!

Anyone know if and how they apply the D+ bu one get one free on first night?

I've not done it lately, but a while back we did the BOGO in Izumi, and they gave us a fixed amount of credit for the second dinner, something like $20.

I just returned from a RCL cruise and took one of those "How to make Sushi" classes put on by the workers from Izumi. It was great! The chefs taught the class and was really good. Plus we got to eat a huge plate of our own sushi made in the class. One of the best times I had on board a RCL ship. Check it out.:)

I just returned from a RCL cruise and took one of those "How to make Sushi" classes put on by the workers from Izumi. It was great! The chefs taught the class and was really good. Plus we got to eat a huge plate of our own sushi made in the class. One of the best times I had on board a RCL ship. Check it out.:)

This sounds amazing! Was this class on an Oasis ship? Does anyone know if the smaller ships offer this? I will be sailing on the Vision in May. I would live to attend a class like this!

This sounds amazing! Was this class on an Oasis ship? Does anyone know if the smaller ships offer this? I will be sailing on the Vision in May. I would live to attend a class like this!

The class I just attended was on the Vision (Feb.21st sailing). It was a lot of fun and I think it was $25.00. We had a wonderful cruise on the Vision and the crew was superior to the bigger ships we have sailed with RCL. You get to make four types of sushi ( a large plate full)and they give you a printed brochure so you can impress your family and friends.:) The instructors could not do enough for everyone. Any other questions I would be happy to answer as best I can.:)

The class I just attended was on the Vision (Feb.21st sailing). It was a lot of fun and I think it was $25.00. We had a wonderful cruise on the Vision and the crew was superior to the bigger ships we have sailed with RCL. You get to make four types of sushi ( a large plate full)and they give you a printed brochure so you can impress your family and friends.:) The instructors could not do enough for everyone. Any other questions I would be happy to answer as best I can.:)

Thank you so much! You just made my day. I really thought this was something the bigger ships were doing. I love sushi but living in the Midwest I don't have the opportunity to have it. I will try and remember to go early in the cruise to get the freshest sushi I can.

This is off topic, but did you notice the drink prices had increased on the vision?

Thank you so much! You just made my day. I really thought this was something the bigger ships were doing. I love sushi but living in the Midwest I don't have the opportunity to have it. I will try and remember to go early in the cruise to get the freshest sushi I can.

This is off topic, but did you notice the drink prices had increased on the vision?

The prices had not increased when we sailed. I hate to tell you that the servers revealed that the tuna and salmon they use for their spiced tuna roll and salmon roll was frozen. He went on and said all the fish comes on board is frozen. Much like shrimp, fish that is flash frozen on board the fishing ship is almost as good as fresh. As one who has worked on a lobster boat and had plenty of fish in my life I thought the sushi fish we used (and consumed) was a very high quality and as good as any sushi I had ever had. Now the warm water lobster is another topic......let's just say I order the steak. ;):)

I took the class on the Vision last fall and thought it was really good value for $25. The chef and helpers really made sure you understood each step and our large "lunch" plates of food were delicious. I have made sushi before but still learned a few things in this class and the preparation was very well done. I took the class near the end of a shorter cruise but the fish was still very fresh and good. Eat at Izumi early on a longer cruise. I went alone as DH does not like sushi-the class is fun with a friend or mate but it was fun alone too and we all sat together to eat.

I've not done it lately, but a while back we did the BOGO in Izumi, and they gave us a fixed amount of credit for the second dinner, something like $20.

Thanks for your quick reply. Is that credit in addition to the cover charge(I think it's $5)?

Trying to think of how to convince DH that it's a good deal!

Leilani

Thanks for your quick reply. Is that credit in addition to the cover charge(I think it's $5)?

Trying to think of how to convince DH that it's a good deal!

Leilani

There is no cover charge at Izumi anymore.

We are sushi addicts, so having Izumi on Oasis last year was great to get our sushi fix. Fish tasted plenty fresh. Our only complaint was the texture. Freezing the fish alters the texture a bit, so for someone who expects a certain texture, it can be annoying.

• 3 weeks later...
We're on Rhapsody in June, so just want to check, there'll be no charge at all for eating at Izumi. We like Japanese and fancy trying it a couple of times, so don't want to be hit with any extra charges whilst on board.

Everything at Izumi costs money. It's all ala carte.

Some in our party did the same thing a couple weeks ago on the Navigator. They loved it! Wish I would have joined them. Next time.

They also received a 20% off coupon to be used while on the cruise. So we had two coupons and used them for dinner one night for our party of 10 and for lunch the last day for our party of ten. Worked out to be a nice discount!

Edited by Lilyrosemum

We're on Rhapsody in June, so just want to check, there'll be no charge at all for eating at Izumi. We like Japanese and fancy trying it a couple of times, so don't want to be hit with any extra charges whilst on board.

You will be changed for what you eat. It works out to be @ $20 per person if you eat a full meal. The food is delicious! Get the firecrackers!

Edited by Lilyrosemum

Any fish that will be served raw is always frozen in japan (country of origin) for at least one day as it kills any parasites and worms the fish might have.

If you see for example the Japanese tuna fish markets, you will see that tuna is always bought frozen (and a single fish can cost over $100,000 usd). Freezing fish doesn't take away quality. The quality and taste of the fish is usually more determined by the location in which the animal itself grew and it's living conditions, food sources, etc.

Of course, if you don’t preserve any piece of meaty protein properly it will go bad, regardless of the type of meat that you are consuming. So if the fish wasn’t frozen properly, or preserved at a certain temperature, it will take away from the quality.

What distinguishes Sushi restaurants in Japan isn’t the protein they use (sushi is not always made with raw fish), but rather the rice, as most restaurants have their own recipe for preparing sushi rice which is what gives each place its own flavor.

Cool fact, Japanese don’t export rice to any other country and imports are very controlled to avoid contamination to their local species. Their rice is their pride and joy.

I did the sushi making class last year on Grandeur. It was really fun