Bennett train tour or Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4x4

pcanluv2travel

We will be in Skagway for the first time and I am trying to decide on whether to do the Bennett train tour, which is one way by train and van tour back or the Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4x4. Has anyone done the latter tour?

Any advice would be appreciated. It will be 5 adults.

Most of the Jeeps I see along the Klondike Highway are 4 seaters, so verify if you need 5 seats. This is a follow the leader tour, there should be trip reports.

I would also think that this group may have varied interests, if so, then split up.

For you to narrow down your choice. Ask your group, what was the attraction to each tour in this selection? What are your interests? For Lake Bennett- history and being a rail fan, match up with this selection. For the Jeep tour- interest in off roading? riding in a jeep?

BQ - I believe the 4X4 excursion the OP is speaking of is in a Rhino or Mule type vehicle going up a mountain trail, not a Jeep. Correct me if I'm wrong, OP.

If that is the case, I recall reading very favorable reviews of the 4X4 excursion here on CC and on Trip Advisor as well - though it was several years ago. You might want to try the "Search" feature here on CC and type in "Takshanuck 4X4" and see what comes up.

This tour is not in jeeps it is in a 4x4 mule that will fit up to 5 people and hopefully will get two mules.

I will try to look again for reviews on this excursions. So far no luck.

Just hoping to get some opinions here.

Both sound interesting and both have good ratings in several different travel sites.

Like BQ says, the choice will be one of interests - I have been on the Bennett Scenic Tour and had a wonderful time - But I am both a train and history buff. Here you spend about 5 hrs on a train, see a ghost town from the gold rush days and learn about the big thaw. You also see Emerald Lake and other scenic wonders of the Yukon.

I read more about the 4x4 tour on www.cruiseportinsider.com

The 4x4 tour has lots of different transportation elements - the ferry to Haines, a bus to and from the mountain and finally the 4x4 Mules. Of the entire 6+ hrs of the tour - only 3 are on the Mules. Reports I have read say that the meal served is great and the family who runs the tour knows a lot about living off the land. YMMV

Both tours are going to run around 200.00pp.

We did the Lake Bennett train trip back in 2008. Gorgeous scenery, but unless you're really a train enthusiast I'd pass. It's a LONG train ride, and by the time we met up with the normal train trip back to Skagway I was wishing I'd settled for the shorter train trip.