Best Time and Price for a Europe Cruise

Spanky My

For years I always travelled to Europe in May and October, but the last couple of years I've been going in the period right after Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas. Yes, it's a little cool, but 1) there's no crowds and 2) cruises are really reasonable.

We were on the Jade once in early December, and once in middle of January. If you want to see Europe, I doubt it can be beat. You hear about long lines at the Vatican, Florence, Jerusalem, etc...Never saw one. In a 7 hour stop in Rome we went on a small group tour and saw the big landmarks, plus the Vatican including climbing to the top of St. Peters square and viewing the Sistine chapel. We had some rain in Florence and had trouble finding the Accademie as there was nobody trying to see David.

When you are seeing the major tourist spots and you only have a single port day, you really have to go off season...

I agree that May is ideal. Another consideration might be to fly to another city or region that isn't serviced by a port. We flew to Krakow after our cruise and spent a week. It is gorgeous and over affordable. Flights within Europe are inexpensive. We used Norwegian airlines.

Next time we will do western Sweden and then fly to Warsaw. Think outside the box.