Best Time and Price for a Europe Cruise

Spanky My

Best time for a European cruise is the spring or autumn (fall).

Summer can get really hot and it is very busy in July and August because of school holidays.

I like the Med in late May/early June. The weather is good, but not too hot.

We went end of May beginning of June weather was warm not too hot( a couple days got really hot) also got a little cool at night sometimes just brought a sweater.was told August is the hottest and can be quite unbearable.

As for when to book , there is a lot of great deals now, haven't seen much better

We done two European cruises, both were mid/late April/very early May We loved it. Weather was never too hot. The school kids weren't there yet. If however you want to enjoy the pool and beach, it can be too "airish" as my grandmother used to say. We spent some time at each, but it wasn't great sunning weather.

I went end of July into August with overnight in Venice. It was so oppressively hot, I went into town from 9-12 and back to ships pool til 3 pm. Then, back to town from 3 til after dinner.....Pompeii was even worse.....but I paid $799 for 12 days as a solo on RCCL SOS.

Late October is also very nice, it will be warm and good weather. And fewer tourists and children!

Absolutely agree. We went early November (last sailing before repositioning.) the weather was clear and mid-50's. Sounds cool, but let's face it, this isn't a lay out on the deck kind of vacation. It's a sightseeing trip and we had nearly no crowds or lines at sights like the coliseum, Vatican. We were able to do and see SO much more.

May June late September to early November for cruises as cooler and avoids school holidays.

July and august can be 75-90+ in western Med and higher in eastern Med.

as i have said before please make sure the cruise you choose leaves EU waters at least once to avoid extra taxes.

have a great holiday j

Malaga spain at present is 60+ barcelona 50+ and this is there cold period.

I am booked for March 16th of 2016 on Epic for the 12Day Med cruise....

Current temps in Barcelona and Italy are in the low 60's ...

We just booked this cruise yesterday. Although it will be a bit cooler than I would prefer, this is all about seeing the sights and the price was very good. Now the airfare watch will begin shortly.

May June late September to early November for cruises as cooler and avoids school holidays.

July and august can be 75-90+ in western Med and higher in eastern Med.

as i have said before please make sure the cruise you choose leaves EU waters at least once to avoid extra taxes.

have a great holiday j

Malaga spain at present is 60+ barcelona 50+ and this is there cold period.

Totally agree and airfare is a lot higher in July. I always go in July though because I love the hot weather and don't mind crowds but it wouldn't be my first choice. I think June just to save a bit on airfares.

Absolutely agree. We went early November (last sailing before repositioning.) the weather was clear and mid-50's. Sounds cool, but let's face it, this isn't a lay out on the deck kind of vacation. It's a sightseeing trip and we had nearly no crowds or lines at sights like the coliseum, Vatican. We were able to do and see SO much more.

Agree. We have done 4 Med cruises 2 in end of June first of July, 1 in November and most recently, the NCL Jade in February. We enjoyed the November and February sailings much more because of less crowds and when walking around exploring cities and visiting historical sites, cooler weather is much more comfortable. Of course it doesn't hurt that is much less expensive in the off season too.

Will end of June be ok in terms of crowd and weather?

We are thinking of a Med cruise for 2016 but since DD can't miss too many days in school, we would have to do it during the summer break.

Not too worried about the crowd but more worried about the weather.

Thanks for any info. :)

Trying to figure it all out as I retire in February of 2016 and finally will have time for to go to europe. We plan on 3 weeks there and a cruise will be a part of it.

Any suggestions both off the Boat and on our own would be appreciated.

Trying to figure it all out as I retire in February of 2016 and finally will have time for to go to europe. We plan on 3 weeks there and a cruise will be a part of it.

Any suggestions both off the Boat and on our own would be appreciated.

I see you are from Washington. If you have Alaska airlines visa you can book airfare to Europe with your miles. We booked as far out as possible and I was able to book DD 1st class on british airways SEA to PSA via LHR. Wonderful way to start out vacation and it didn't really cost an exorbitant amt. alaska air and BA will also let you book one way with miles so you could fly into say Barcelona and out of perhaps Vennice.

When trying to pick a cruise we tried to figure which ports had easy access to the sites and which cities we wanted to spend a few days/do a land trip vs. cruise stop.

Italy is pretty easy to see via land, train, car so taking a cruise to Rome, florence, Naples... Seemed a little strange to us with ports being so far from the sites.

We chose ncl jade 14 nt but booked as two seven nt as it was less expensive this way.

I saw some really good prices in early feb, late jan this year for feb, march and early April 15.

Have fun planning and congrats on retirement.

We are thinking of a Med cruise for 2016 but since DD can't miss too many days in school, we would have to do it during the summer break.

It will be very very hot. Possibly to the point of fainting hot. I have actually never walked thru the foroum due to this issue and have only seen it from above which as all seasoned roman travelers know is the best way to actually see it.

We have done July cruises 2x but it is what it is and I won't take my kids out of school so July works for us

Fwiw those 2 summers were the best tans we ever got. No burning just golden tans.....

Oh wait that must be because the 6 of us are 100% Mediterranean island descent so when others run and hide from the sun and put SPF 50 on....

We just walk around like we are home and don't burn at all.... Oh wait we actually are back home!! Lol

Point is that while it may be hot hot hot..... The sun burn possibility is not as great as one might think.

I don't wear one but most people will have hats on

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always go at the beginning of July because of school...love it.. Love hot weather but never got unbearably hot either. The only time I think the heat got to me was a tour through Pompeii around 1 pm, but we would go in the shaded areas.

Let's be honest, anytime is a fabulous time for europe. It is amazing!!

Carnival has some amazing prices for 2016 new vista ship. I go wherever I get a great price because europe is so port extensive. My first NCL july actually.

Edited by b_cruise

It will be very very hot. Possibly to the point of fainting hot. I have actually never walked thru the foroum due to this issue and have only seen it from above which as all seasoned roman travelers know is the best way to actually see it.

We have done July cruises 2x but it is what it is and I won't take my kids out of school so July works for us

Fwiw those 2 summers were the best tans we ever got. No burning just golden tans.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, that's good to know. :)

Yeah, at this time, only the summer will work for us. I'm glad to know that you and your family had a great time.

I always go at the beginning of July because of school...love it.. Love hot weather but never got unbearably hot either. The only time I think the heat got to me was a tour through Pompeii around 1 pm, but we would go in the shaded areas.

Let's be honest, anytime is a fabulous time for europe. It is amazing!!

Carnival has some amazing prices for 2016 new vista ship. I go wherever I get a great price because europe is so port extensive. My first NCL july actually.

Thanks! That's true, anytime is a fabulous time for Europe. Looking for the best deals right now so Carnival Vista is another option. The 12N Spirit has the best itinerary (in my opinion) but the prices for 2016 is a bit steep for us.

Thanks, that's good to know. :)

Yeah, at this time, only the summer will work for us. I'm glad to know that you and your family had a great time.

Thanks! That's true, anytime is a fabulous time for Europe. Looking for the best deals right now so Carnival Vista is another option. The 12N Spirit has the best itinerary (in my opinion) but the prices for 2016 is a bit steep for us.

Yes, I agree...the NCL 12 and 14 days cover more. With all the extras offered, I think it's a great way to go!! Watch for online deals..I got an ocean view pic window for 600 less pp than NCL plus gratuities paid, obc, UBP. I took 300 obc instead of dining package.

In 2013, our family went 2nd and 3rd week of July - it was hot and crowded, but worth it! Favorite ports were Florence, Venice, and Dubrovnik. Least favorites were Monaco and Nice. We did and saw a ton of things, and most importantly, made some life-lasting memories. We are going again a bit earlier this summer, and I'm interested in if I will notice much change with the temperatures and crowds.