Hotels in Galveston

UnVrYaN

Most of us have already heard that the conquest has been moved to Galveston until further notice. Just wondering if anyone knows what the closest possible hotel to the cruise ship terminal is. hoping to possibly find something walking distance. thanks to anyone who can help, and prayers to those in the new orleans area.:)

We traveled out of galveston last year on the Elation. There are a lot of hotels along the beach. They have one, that is actually out on a peir. All of the hotels along the beach will require a taxi to get to the port. It is probably about 2-3 miles. The family that we were traveling with did not want to spend very much on our hotel, so we stayed at Motel 6 :( but it was clean, and did the job. It wasn't located near the beach but it was still about 3 miles from the port. Hope you enjoy your trip. I wonder how crowed the port will be with the ships that are being docked there to house the displaced people from the hurricane. Also if you get a chance try to eat at Fishermans Warff. It is located right at the port. It was so yummy. It seems to put you in the cruising mood. From your table you can look out at the bay.

novella

Most of us have already heard that the conquest has been moved to Galveston until further notice. Just wondering if anyone knows what the closest possible hotel to the cruise ship terminal is. hoping to possibly find something walking distance. thanks to anyone who can help, and prayers to those in the new orleans area.:)

Many of the hotels will offer shuttle service to the Cruise Port. My 2 favorite hotels are Hotel Galvez and the Tremont House. Their rack rates are fairly expensive, but I have managed to get some very good rates by calling them directly. Each time I have stayed at either hotel it has been roughly $100. Might be more then you want to pay, but they are very nice hotels at those prices.

Michael

I have a question...We have always used the parking at the pier rather than a particular hotel. For those of you who have used the various hotels and their free parking and shuttle, did you encounter any problems? We are traveling from our town to Galveston the day before and need to decide if we want to stay in Galveston and also use the hotel parking and shuttle...Thanks! I always find these boards so helpful!

You can find Harbor House on Travelocity or Expedia for $79 a night if you watch for specials and you're looking far enough out.

We've used EZ Cruise Parking ($5 off for booking online) and we've been fine with leaving our car there.

Next time we're going up a day early, staying at Days Inn ($49, includes parking during the cruise) and just leaving our car at the motel.

Any one stay at the San Luis resort, how was it? Looks nice but a bit pricey. They also offer free parking and a shuttle to the pier. We are looking at it for our cruise in Jan. 06.

Thanks!

I stayed there about 10 years ago and it was nasty. The impression left was bad enough I will never stay again. With that said, it does appear to of been remodeled and has earned 4 diamonds several years in a row. (Still won't change my mind until Tremont or Galvez take a turn for the worse).

Michael

I stayed there about 10 years ago and it was nasty. The impression left was bad enough I will never stay again. With that said, it does appear to of been remodeled and has earned 4 diamonds several years in a row. (Still won't change my mind until Tremont or Galvez take a turn for the worse).

Michael

San Luis Nasty???????

If you have your car anyway, there's also a lot of hotel options in and around Houston. It will only take 30 minutes to an hour to get to Galveston from there. Downtown has some big and nice hotels but I wouldn't walk around there at night. The Galleria Mall has a lot of hotels in the area and there are some around NASA and Kemah's boardwalk.

Michael

Are you confusing San Luis with The Flagship:confused:

Are you confusing San Luis with The Flagship:confused:

Nope it was the San Luis (for spring break back in undergrad). I did qualify that it was several years ago. But the rooms smelled funny, the carpet was worn and dirty. The mattresses were worn down. One bad impression has left me disliking a place many years later.

Michael

We just came back from Galveston 2 days ago. We usually stay at the Hotel Galvez, not walking distance but they offer free week long parking and free shuttle service to and from the pier. Having said that, we took a cab back to the hotel to pick up our car as it was simply just easier. Very easy to get a cab. In fact, we were out of the terminal and in our car, on the road, in about 15 minutes.

Wow - I am shocked if the San Luis is "nasty". While it has been about 4 years since we have stayed there - it has always been top notch.

We love the Tremont and Hotel Galvez as well. The Hilton is also nice. Now that Labor Day is over the rates for all of these hotels should have gone down by now.

I think you must be confused about the San Luis. I live in Houston. It is probably the nicest hotelin Galveston. It is not the Ritz Carlton, but would be comparable to an Intercontinental or a JW Marriott.

I also has a fabulous spa!

Hopr this helps.

Barbara

• 5 weeks later...

Archived