Auto Gratuity At Specialty Restaurant Implemented

Some of us feel the same way about the need to have a King or Queen. Talk about a monumental waste of money, just to uphold a "tradition".

A waste of money, don't be silly.

Don't you realise that they are simply a money generating tourist attraction, the same as Disneyland.

If they didn't exist, how would restaurants in Covent Garden survive without of all those excessive tips from the American tourists.

Probably - never had that situation yet...
Well, next time I'm there I'll try and there is no way I would ever give a tip (even though the guide books say to tip 10 to 15 percent, even after the service charge in London), because that would mean that they would be getting a 22.5 to 27.5 percent tip. Yeah, your system is a whole lot better than ours.

BTW, who gets the 12.5 percent service charge?

I understand. Some of us feel the same way about the need to have a King or Queen. Talk about a monumental waste of money, just to uphold a "tradition". And what would be the use of me bringing this up on a trip to England. It is not like my opinion is going to change anything. It would just insult the locals:).

I am a royalist (22 years in the British army can attest to that) - that aside - the Royal Family brings in many more tourist dollars/roubles/euros etc. that they cost so that is a good thing from the UK point of view.

Also, the Queen meets the Prime Minister each week; she has 60 years experience; I would bet that in her time she has maybe stopped some of our Prime Ministers doing some really stupid things.

Well, next time I'm there I'll try and there is no way I would ever give a tip (even though the guide books say to tip 10 to 15 percent, even after the service charge in London), because that would mean that they would be getting a 22.5 to 27.5 percent tip. Yeah, your system is a whole lot better than ours.

I would suggest you get a different guide book:rolleyes:. I suspect their recommendations for restaurants are perhaps as poor as their tipping advice.

Nothing extra is expected above the 12.5% BTW.

Edited by SteveH2508

It is mainly only restaurants in London that add a service charge. Head outside, and it is not the done thing.

As to who gets it. Depends. Most companies give it to the staff on top of their wages, but a few less reputable companies use it to meet the wage bill.

Do I care? Nope. Would I leave a tip on top? Do I look like a tourist.

I would suggest you get a different guide book:rolleyes:. I suspect their recommendations for restaurants are perhaps as poor as their tipping advice.
Who gets the service charge, I'm thinking the restaurants just put it to their bottom line, is that correct. Why aren't the patrons of these restaurants up in arms about this, because is seems as they are getting screwed? Edited by NLH Arizona

If I get lousy service in London, can tell them to remove the service charge and if I ask them, will they do it?

Define lousy service - if you are expecting the faux smiley 'have a nice day' stuff then you will likely be disappointed. Prompt service, delivering what you ordered efficiently is usual and is deserving of 12.5% SC.

Who gets the service charge, I'm thinking the restaurants just put it to their bottom line, is that correct. Why aren't the patrons of these restaurants up in arms about this, because is seems as they are getting screwed?

The staff get it in their wages - they are payed a living wage - not a slave wage as is apparently paid in the US.

Who gets the service charge, I'm thinking the restaurants just put it to their bottom line, is that correct. Why aren't the patrons of these restaurants up in arms about this, because is seems as they are getting screwed?

How is it "getting screwed" if the bill is for £45, but £5 is for a "service charge". Why do I care how the bill is broken down or where the money is going?

Define lousy service - if you are expecting the faux smiley 'have a nice day' stuff then you will likely be disappointed. Prompt service, delivering what you ordered efficiently is usual and is deserving of 12.5% SC.
Wow, to live in a country where each and every server is 100 percent efficient.....in my dreams!

And where exactly does that service charge go. Again, I guess the restaurants bottom line (because they are calling it a service charge, not an gratuity, so we know it is not going to the servers).....you all need another system, as you are getting the short end of the stick and the restaurants are making a bundle from you.

How is it "getting screwed" if the bill is for £45, but £5 is for a "service charge". Why do I care how the bill is broken down or where the money is going?

I believe that NLH made that post tongue in cheek

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are making the same point about this and that is where I was trying to take this point, that many of us are trying to make about NCL.....Why should one care how the DSC is broken down or where the money is going.

Thank you!

Captain, you saw right through it.

Edited by NLH Arizona

If I get lousy service in London, can tell them to remove the service charge and if I ask them, will they do it?

TOP TIP: do not go to Wong Kei in Wardour Street. they have a reputation for 'brusque service' (OK a bit rude:D).

Chinese restaurants in Soho in London are very much 'get-them-in' - 'feed them' - 'get them out' - no frills service - no sitting about waiting for ages either. It's called efficiency - and is still deserving of 12.5% because of that. Just be aware of what you will get before you go.

TOP TIP: do not go to Wong Kei in Wardour Street. they have a reputation for 'brusque service' (OK a bit rude:D).

Chinese restaurants in Soho in London are very much 'get-them-in' - 'feed them' - 'get them out' - no frills service - no sitting about waiting for ages either. It's called efficiency - and is still deserving of 12.5% because of that. Just be aware of what you will get before you go.

Actually I've had fantastic service when I've been in London and all over the UK and don't have an issue paying the 12.5 percent service charge or a tip on top of that. insanemagnet helped me make my point; just as no one should care where the service charges go to the restaurants, they should not care where the DSC goes at NCL.

BTW, if in Minneapolis, I can tell you some restaurants where the servers are a little on the rude side, but it is part of the charm of the place.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Wow, to live in a country where each and every server is 100 percent efficient.....in my dreams!

And where exactly does that service charge go. Again, I guess the restaurants bottom line (because they are calling it a service charge, not an gratuity, so we know it is not going to the servers).....you all need another system, as you are getting the short end of the stick and the restaurants are making a bundle from you.

How much restaurants charge in UK is a whole other debate - (hint we eat out rarely because it is expensive). How the cost is broken down (food v service charge) is basically irrelevant because we know the cost up front. Whether that total cost represents good value is another thing entirely - at least the restaurant is required by law to display the prices and add-ons before you sit down.

We Brits do not obsess with whether the pan-basher gets his cut or not (Minimum Wage Laws apply) - if he did not then the restaurant would have dirty pans.

Actually I've had fantastic service when I've been in London and all over the UK and don't have an issue paying the 12.5 percent service charge or a tip on top of that. insanemagnet helped me make my point; just as no one should care where the service charges go to the restaurants, they should not care where the DSC goes at NCL.

BTW, if in Minneapolis, I can tell you some restaurants where the servers are a little on the rude side, but it is part of the charm of the place.

I have never posted or obsessed about who gets what from the DSC. I pre-pay it (it is part of my cruise cost), and then get on with enjoying myself. It boggles my mind how some people seem to get their knickers in a bunch about who gets what from the DSC or tips.

I think we agree on this one:D.

If you want service, that goes beyond rude, few places could beat the legendary Wong Kei restaurant in London. People used to queue to be insulted.

I have never posted or obsessed about who gets what from the DSC. I pre-pay it (it is part of my cruise cost), and then get on with enjoying myself. It boggles my mind how some people seem to get their knickers in a bunch about who gets what from the DSC or tips.

I think we agree on this one:D.

I'm right there with you. They don't seem to question other business (like restaurants in some of their countries), but with NCL they want to know down to the penny where the DSC or service charges go. Boggles the mind. As long as the crew is paid what they feel is fair (and I would have to think they are or many wouldn't have been with them for years and years), it should be good with everyone.

If you want service, that goes beyond rude, few places could beat the legendary Wong Kei restaurant in London. People used to queue to be insulted.

2 separate 'recommendations' in 15 minutes for the same place - that must count for something:D:rolleyes:.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are making the same point about this and that is where I was trying to take this point, that many of us are trying to make about NCL.....Why should one care how the DSC is broken down or where the money is going.

Thank you!

Captain, you saw right through it.

Personally, I think the reason why they're 'caring' about where the DSC and 'tips' is 'going' is because its technically going to third-world countries (aka as where most of the DSC-covered employees come from). Because otherwise, there would be no discussion about this at all since it would be 'transparent" at a any land-based restaurant in the world; service charges, tips, or VAT. (no its not, since a employee can spend their paycheck however they wish, even send the money to to China or Pakistan, for example)

Personally, I think the reason why they're 'caring' about where the DSC and 'tips' is 'going' is because its technically going to third-world countries (aka as where most of the DSC-covered employees come from). Because otherwise, there would be no discussion about this at all since it would be 'transparent" at a any land-based restaurant in the world; service charges, tips, or VAT. (no its not, since a employee can spend their paycheck however they wish, even send the money to to China or Pakistan, for example)

If that is the case then it leads to a debate/discussion of an NCL employees Right as to how they spend their paycheck as well, does it not?

You would think that the idea that it is ending up in a third world country would make those so obsessed with it to feel really good about themselves for helping a disadvantaged population and thus not be so obsessed with where it ends up.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

If that is the case then it leads to a debate/discussion of an NCL employees Right as to how they spend their paycheck as well, does it not?

You would think that the idea that it is ending up in a third world country would make those so obsessed with it to feel really good about themselves for helping a disadvantaged population and thus not be so obsessed with where it ends up.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

No, because than it wouldn't be any transparency and accountability to pay all the DSC-covered employees on the ship. They don't want to pay the room steward of another cabin while paying for their own, when through that covers both especially since other room steward could be helping out theirs when he's swamped. :rolleyes: NCL needs to tell them the exact dollar of where their money is going, when though NCL is not obligated to give an exact monetary amount just like any other business. :cool:

Edit: Before someone says, "Well Royal and Carnival do..."; well NCL is not them, now are they?

Edited by maywell

I agree, NCL shouldn't be held to "special rules" and that is one of the main problems I have had throughout the thread.

A business has the right to choose how transparent they want to be or don't want to be with their customers.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt