Normandie reservations CANCELLED by X 1 week before cruise, because. . .

squidward

Sailing on Summit on 3/21. Made reservations for Normandie 2 months ago. This week I received an e-mail from X that my reservations had been cancelled. No explanation.:confused:

So I called X, and after lots of time on hold (customer rep was very polite and professional, BTW, but was as surprised as I was and had a hard time getting an answer) I was told that it had something to do with Luminae, which is being installed during our cruise, and that according to the record I'd be compensated in some way for the inconvenience (the rep said it said something about "RSVP" which made no sense either.) That's not important to me, but I am curious: what's going on?

Are they going to assign passengers Normandie to make up for the lost space in the MDR, using it as overflow?:confused:

Edited by squidward

Sailing on Summit on 3/21. Made reservations for Normandie 2 months ago. This week I received an e-mail from X that my reservations had been cancelled. No explanation.:confused:

So I called X, and after lots of time on hold (customer rep was very polite and professional, BTW, but was as surprised as I was and had a hard time getting an answer) I was told that it had something to do with Luminae, which is being installed during our cruise, and that according to the record I'd be compensated in some way for the inconvenience (the rep said it said something about "RSVP" which made no sense either.) That's not important to me, but I am curious: what's going on?

Are they going to assign passengers Normandie to make up for the lost space in the MDR, using it as overflow?:confused:

They have been giving Suite passengers the option of dining at no extra charge in Specialty Restaurants while they are building the new Suite Restaurant. They are doing this to alleviate the massive overcrowding situation in the MDR during construction. The plan appears to be working quite well on the ships that have been completed.

That is total BS to bump a paying passenger who already has paid for reservations.

Might be, but that's the way they've decided to do it. It's been going on for a few months now and I have read no complaints. I too would be upset if this happened to me, but it is what it is. For the record, I have not been on a cruise where this has happened, or will be happening.

On my 14 feb reflection cruise, we tried to get reservations at the specialty restaurants and were told only undesirable times were available (ie: 930). We ended up going to Tuscan grill on the first night at 930 and had a terrible experience.

We arrived at 915 hoping to be seated a few minutes early and were hopeful when we saw the restaurant was pretty much empty. However that seemed to be immaterial as they kept us at the door till 925, stating that they had to rearrange tables (which they didn't do).

After that fiasco when we we checked times for murano and were given similar options we decided that specialty dining was not going to be a priority on that trip.

We are sailing on the 3/21&3/28 cruise as well, tried over 6 weeks ago to get reservation for the second week was finally told everything was taken for the two weeks. Can't believe that anyone, not in a suite, booked in a normal cabin has been locked out of the Normandie restaurant. We were also told that the suites have priority for dinning til the luminae is built. First Michaels now this, not happy.

On my 14 feb reflection cruise, we tried to get reservations at the specialty restaurants and were told only undesirable times were available (ie: 930). We ended up going to Tuscan grill on the first night at 930 and had a terrible experience.

We arrived at 915 hoping to be seated a few minutes early and were hopeful when we saw the restaurant was pretty much empty. However that seemed to be immaterial as they kept us at the door till 925, stating that they had to rearrange tables (which they didn't do).

After that fiasco when we we checked times for murano and were given similar options we decided that specialty dining was not going to be a priority on that trip.

Strange. We weren't in a suite and were able to get reservations that week. OTOH, we generally like to eat about 6 pm. That was a crazy week, though. There were about 200 extra people on board the ship that week.

We were on the Infinity in February and made reservations for both specialty restaurants on board. We were told that nights and times later in the 2 week voyage were not available. The 2 nights that we did go to dinner, the majority of tables were empty. I didn't get it. They continually offered special pricing for specialty restaurants throughout our voyage. Both restaurants were fine on the Infinity, but I was not that impressed-especially in Quisine, so no extra booking from us. Ate in Blu most of the time, as we are big fans. Breakfast there was great. Dinner was hit or miss, especially quality of beef or preparation. The times we ate in the MDR, food was well prepared. There are many guests to prepare food for, so we don't ever expect perfection. Overall, we think Celebrity does a good job.