Help! Which itinerary!?!?

cruiser4630

Hi everyone - I'm hoping to take advantage of your vast knowledge of ports. My husband and I are in our mid-thirties and will be taking a cruise on the Carnival Dream out of New Orleans. Should we go to Cozumel-Belize-Roatan (leaves 4/19) OR Cozumel-Jamaica-Grand Cayman (leaves 4/26)? We have a few cruises under our belts, but have only been to Cozumel out of the above ports. We don't snorkel and we won't be doing any hard-core activities as I am pregnant. We like to find neat, local restaurant/bar type places on the beach or in town and we like the beach and relaxing. We're not much on shopping. Thank you so much in advance!!! If I can answer any other questions to aid your recommendation, feel free to ask!

Hi everyone - I'm hoping to take advantage of your vast knowledge of ports. My husband and I are in our mid-thirties and will be taking a cruise on the Carnival Dream out of New Orleans. Should we go to Cozumel-Belize-Roatan (leaves 4/19) OR Cozumel-Jamaica-Grand Cayman (leaves 4/26)? We have a few cruises under our belts, but have only been to Cozumel out of the above ports. We don't snorkel and we won't be doing any hard-core activities as I am pregnant. We like to find neat, local restaurant/bar type places on the beach or in town and we like the beach and relaxing. We're not much on shopping. Thank you so much in advance!!! If I can answer any other questions to aid your recommendation, feel free to ask!

Since you don't snorkel and are pregnant, I would pick the Cozumel-Jamaica-Grand Cayman itinerary. The Belize port isn't the nicest and you need to get a ways out of town in order to find nice beaches - more active excursions for that island. Roatan's activities lean towards adventure things - although I believe the protected port area has a nice beach.

Do keep in mind that both Belize and Grand Cayman are tender ports.

Since you don't snorkel and are pregnant, I would pick the Cozumel-Jamaica-Grand Cayman itinerary. The Belize port isn't the nicest and you need to get a ways out of town in order to find nice beaches - more active excursions for that island. Roatan's activities lean towards adventure things - although I believe the protected port area has a nice beach.

Thank you so much for your advice! I've heard Belize is a little dicey. I thought I remember seeing something about a spa in Roatan, but I might be confused. Maybe in West Bay?

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by cruiser4630

Oh- and enjoy the Miracle! We loved the aft adults only pool area!!! The dining room decor was "interesting," but we enjoyed our two top table overlooking diners below and the food was the best out of any ship we've been on.

Roatan has the beach right there if you don't feel like traveling to west bay. But Grand Cayman has beaches nearby as well.

The toss up is to me is Jamaica vs Belize.

If I were going to Belize and didn't want to do an excursion, I would sleep in, let the mad tender rush clear and then leisurely make my way down the pier to the Wet Lizard. Find a seat overlooking all the activity and people watch while eating the best conch fritters and ice cold Belikins.

But that's just me. ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Cozumel, Belize, Roatan

Ocho Rios is one pestering vendor, one massage propositioning, or one ganja salesmen after another. You have to run the gauntlet and hide in Margaritaville.

Grand Cayman is a crap shoot if you will even get to tender or not due to weather.

So that would leave you with only Cozumel on that itinerary.

At least with Cozumel, Belize (a trade off IMHO with Ocho Rios) and Roatan, you will dock at Roatan and they have a beach area with restaurants etc to enjoy.

Cozumel, Belize, Roatan

Ocho Rios is one pestering vendor, one massage propositioning, or one ganja salesmen after another. You have to run the gauntlet and hide in Margaritaville.

Grand Cayman is a crap shoot if you will even get to tender or not due to weather.

At least with Cozumel, Belize (a trade off IMHO with Ocho Rios) and Roatan, you will dock at Roatan and they have a beach area with restaurants etc to enjoy.

Agree with Roatan, it's low keyed. If you get bored, there is cabs and tour busses there. Also a small souvenier shopping area.

Cozumel-Jamaica-Grand Cayman (leaves 4/26)? We have a few cruises under our belts, but have only been to Cozumel out of the above ports. We don't snorkel and we won't be doing any hard-core activities as I am pregnant.

Since you are pg, this is my suggestion because less "hard-core" activities can be done in these ... and you won't have that long crowded tender ride in Belize. ;)

LuLu

Roatan has the beach right there if you don't feel like traveling to west bay. But Grand Cayman has beaches nearby as well.

If I were going to Belize and didn't want to do an excursion, I would sleep in, let the mad tender rush clear and then leisurely make my way down the pier to the Wet Lizard. Find a seat overlooking all the activity and people watch while eating the best conch fritters and ice cold Belikins.

But that's just me. ;)

That's a great idea for Belize! I just told my husband your idea and he is excited about the Belikins! Hopefully the Wet Lizard has good food. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

But that's just me. ;)

Cozumel, Belize, Roatan

Thank you! Grand Cayman is my main draw for that itinerary since I hear it is a nice port, so if we didn't end up getting there b/c of weather, that would be a real disappointment. I didn't realize weather was such a factor there, but I've seen this mentioned a few places since starting my research. The Grand Cayman itinerary is $280 more for us. We were willing to spend it if it was worth it, but that would be a lot of money to waste if we didn't actually get to the island. Thanks for your advice!

Grand Cayman, cheap local bus service to beaches along 7 mile beach. We always go to Cemetery beach (no amenities) $5 dollar round trip per person. Research Cruise Critics ports of call Caribbean-Grand Cayman. Nice beaches in Cozumel but we always take the ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen on the main land of Mexico, very nice beaches there and the surf is higher. Sometimes the cruise lines have excursions to Playa del Carmen and is cheaper than the local ferry...