Couple Weird Questions - TA & Venice Port

roothy123

I have a couple questions, just out of curiosity:

Back long ago when I booked our cruise, I used a new travel agent and didn't even think to ask if the company could give me any onboard/shipboard credit. Have any of you received any from your TA? If so, please don't recommend him/her, as that isn't allowed on Cruise Critic. However, I'm just curious if some people have gotten it, and if so, if they know how it can be used on Viking Star (excursions? store? spa?)

Also, for those who have received their cruise documents and will be visiting Venice, is there an address for the port, or any indication of whether the dock will be Marittima, San Basilio or Santa Marta? I know the port makes the assignments, so it may not be the same docking location for us, but I'm playing the "based on past cruises" game, and the Venice port site does not list where Star will be docking on April 20 (I think - or 21? or both?)

Back long ago when I booked our cruise, I used a new travel agent and didn't even think to ask if the company could give me any onboard/shipboard credit. Have any of you received any from your TA? If so, please don't recommend him/her, as that isn't allowed on Cruise Critic. However, I'm just curious if some people have gotten it, and if so, if they know how it can be used on Viking Star (excursions? store? spa?)

Also, for those who have received their cruise documents and will be visiting Venice, is there an address for the port, or any indication of whether the dock will be Marittima, San Basilio or Santa Marta? I know the port makes the assignments, so it may not be the same docking location for us, but I'm playing the "based on past cruises" game, and the Venice port site does not list where Star will be docking on April 20 (I think - or 21? or both?)

We received no OBC from our agent and she told us Viking doesn't permit them to apply OBC to our shipboard account...the agency owes us a small amount for a referral and since they normally apply to as an OBC but can't in the case of Viking, she said they would mail us a check a few weeks before departure.....she implied they're different that way...having said that, we received a 10% discount off the Viking price so we were not too concerned about the OBC.

I only know of the one cruise terminal. Embarking passengers would need a terminal, not just a dock, right? After embarkation they could move. Did you check http://www.vtp.it/calendario/

All I can find out is, only one other Cruise Ship (Costa Classica, 1680 passengers) is also berthing on 4/20, and they leave that evening, while we stay overnight. Nobody coming in on the 21st. So things'll be relatively quiet in Venezia.

Thanks. I feel a little better, knowing that probably nobody is getting onboard credit, and no, I wouldn't accept credit either if I owned a new cruise line that had sold out so many cruises already! As for getting a discount, I DO know that some travel agents give a discount or rebate, presumably coming out of the company coffer, or perhaps the agent's commission!

I'm assuming we (on a later cruise) will dock at the main terminal with the People Mover, but hope springs eternal that they will allow us to dock along the Canal near the San Basilio vaporetto stop. That's where river ships and smaller cruise ships usually dock, but I don't know if Star qualifies as a smaller ship or not. Also, the Venice passenger terminal calendar site lists us, but I'm not sure if that means we're at the big terminal location or not - but probably so.

We, also, are relatively alone in Venice, but the day before will be crazy with cruise passengers. Since we're going early, we'll be with tons of cruisers!