Attire in MDR and specialty restaurants?

bangzoom6877

I learned this the hard way on my Gem cruise. Being an idiot, I only packed one pair of jeans, a suit for formal night and then dress shorts. I had to borrow dress pants from my friends on several nights, as they would not let me in the MDR without pants.

That will never happen again as I now pack several pairs of nice slacks for the evenings. And in the end, I liked it better. Something about looking nice for dinner while on a cruise ship makes the experience that much better.

EDIT: without long pants. Not no pants in general!

You do know jeans are acceptable pants in any NCL restaurant?

No, they are not.........Straight from NCLs website, "We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants."

It certainly wasn't enforced on our last cruise, there we were my husband I his jeans and a polo and next table was wearing basketball shorts and a baseball cap and no he wasn't a kid or teen - that was cagneys

It certainly wasn't enforced on our last cruise, there we were my husband I his jeans and a polo and next table was wearing basketball shorts and a baseball cap and no he wasn't a kid or teen - that was cagneys

Which ship?

I understand people wanting to be comfortable but I think dress codes should be enforced. I also don't see anything unreasonable about NCL's dress code. It is much more relaxed than some other cruise lines, and they even have an MDR where you could wear nice shorts. Plus no one is required to dress formally on any night of their cruise. It should be enforced. I haven't seen this on a cruise ship yet, but one thing in their policy that I certainly hope they would enforce is the no pants below the hips rule. I can't stand looking at sagging pants on anyone! I find it very disrespectful.

I've seen jogging suits and baseball caps as well in Cagney's. Kind of surprised me, but if they let them in, I guessed it was appropriate wear.

Edited by NLH Arizona