Help me Choose - Norway Fjord Cruise

dee66

Hi,

My family (wife and 9 year old son) went on a princess cruise to Alaska 4 years ago and loved it. We are wanting to do a Norwegion Fjord cruise and trying to decide between a Disney nine day cruise and a Princess 7 day cruise. The Disney cruise will be much more ($13,000 versus $6000).

I would like anyone's opinion based on the quality of the ports and cruise experience for each. Also, is the disney cruise worth $7000 more? Both cruises will be in a deluxe room with balcony. Thanks for the help.

Disney Cruise June 20 to June 29

Day Port Ashore Onboard

1 Copenhagen, Denmark — 4:00 p.m.

2 At Sea — —

3 Stavanger, Norway 8:00 a.m. 4:45 p.m.

4 Alesund, Norway 9:30 a.m. 5:45 p.m.

5 Geiranger, Norway 8:30 a.m. 4:45 p.m.

6 Molde, Norway 8:30 a.m. 4:45 p.m.

7 Olden, Norway 8:30 a.m. 4:45 p.m.

8 Bergen, Norway 7:45 a.m. 5:15 p.m.

9 At Sea — —

10 Copenhagen, Denmark 7:00 a.m. —

Princess Cruise

1 London (Southampton), England Saturday, July 11 4:00 PM

2 At Sea Sunday, July 12

3 Stavanger, Norway Monday, July 13 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

4 Skjolden/Sognefjord, Norway Tuesday, July 14 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

5 Olden, Norway Wednesday, July 15 9:00 AM 7:00 PM

6 Bergen, Norway Thursday, July 16 7:00 AM 2:00 PM

7 At Sea Friday, July 17

8 London (Southampton), England Saturday, July 18 7:00 AM

Hi, My family (wife and 9 year old son) went on a princess cruise to Alaska 4 years ago and loved it. We are wanting to do a Norwegion Fjord cruise and trying to decide between a Disney nine day cruise and a Princess 7 day cruise. The Disney cruise will be much more ($13,000 versus $6000).

I would like anyone's opinion based on the quality of the ports and cruise experience for each. Also, is the disney cruise worth $7000 more? Both cruises will be in a deluxe room with balcony. Thanks for the help.

Disney Cruise June 20 to June 29

Day Port Ashore Onboard

1 Copenhagen, Denmark — 4:00 p.m.

2 At Sea — —

3 Stavanger, Norway 8:00 a.m. 4:45 p.m.

4 Alesund, Norway 9:30 a.m. 5:45 p.m.

5 Geiranger, Norway 8:30 a.m. 4:45 p.m.

6 Molde, Norway 8:30 a.m. 4:45 p.m.

7 Olden, Norway 8:30 a.m. 4:45 p.m.

8 Bergen, Norway 7:45 a.m. 5:15 p.m.

9 At Sea — —

10 Copenhagen, Denmark 7:00 a.m. —

Appreciate these interesting and varied questions from these Texas travelers. Among the variables are . . . costs/value differences, ports to be visited and the style/quality of Disney versus a "regular" cruise line. I would also add the trade-offs and pro/con factors of Copenhagen versus Southhampton as your start/finish location.

If money was not a consideration, from everything I have heard (but not experienced personally), Disney supposedly does a super great job for kids on such cruises. BUT, $7,000 is real money!!! On ports, our Norway cruise, as detailed below, included stops in Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen. All are great locations. PLUS, we sailed from and returned to Copenhagen. That Danish capital is wonderful with its charming architecture, great character, friendly people, interesting food and sights, including amazing Tivoli, etc. See a few Copenhagen examples below as proof on why we love this town and its superstar attractions.

Tell us more about the interests, style, desires, etc., for you, your wife and son. What captures your fancy? How much is nature, wildlife of value to you and your family? How flexible is your budget and wallet?

My leaning, in spending YOUR MONEY, would be towards Disney and Copenhagen.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 175,004 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner. Walt Disney was inspired in 1950 to construct Disneyland after visiting this park in the heart of Copenhagen. Tivoli opened in 1843 and encompasses eight hectares with 1,000 trees and 400,000 summer flowers planted throughout the gardens. It boasts upwards of 40 restaurants, a Chinese-style pantomime theater, open-air concert stage, amusement park and Denmark’s longest salt-water aquarium. In the evening, the park is lighted up with Chinese lanterns, multi-colored lights, etc. That truly makes it a “Magic Kingdom” to make Disney happy. Website at: tivoligardens.com.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Here are closer and longer shots of the Little Mermaid statute in Copenhagen’s harbor.:

1A-Copenhagen-StatueClose.jpg

1A-Copenhagen-Statue-Long.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

We're going on NCL star June 5-12 out of Copenhagen with our 8 year old son. Our ports are Flam, Alesund, Geiranger, and Bergen (maybe not in that order). We watched the Disney opening day prices (last April?) and just couldn't justify that much more money for the same cruise. We've been on 3 Disney cruises and they were awesome (I LOVE everything Disney!). We've also been on RCL and that was great too. NCL is still doing a pretty amazing sale right now. You could get a suite and a bunch of perks for close to the Princess price you quoted. The Star just got out of dry dock so I'm hopeful things will be great on our cruise. TLCOhio steered you towards Disney because of Copenhagen so I just wanted to let you know NCL is an option too.

My honest opinion is Disney is not worth that much more... just my opinion though.

P.S. I flip through your pictures all the time Terry. I'm so excited to visit the fjords!!!

Edited by jenf22