First Alaska Cruise/Princess vs. NCL?

JerryInIL

If NCL was good in Alaska why only two ships being used? I think numbers tell a lot about quality in small markets like Alaska.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Perhaps-- but there are three for this July.

I'm still possibly booking Princess, but I don't think that because there are three ships for NCL that it means that it isn't a good cruise.

If NCL was good in Alaska why only two ships being used? I think numbers tell a lot about quality in small markets like Alaska.

I don't agree with that statement at all. My best Alaskan cruise was also on a line with very few ships in Alaska...on the Celebrity Millennium.

The reason I wouldn't book NCL in Alaska is the same reason they would be my last choice elsewhere. I've had too many bad experiences on NCL with poor service, poorly maintained ships and long waits for MDR seating. I just happen to think Princess is a lot nicer of a cruise line than NCL.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

For me it says that they have priorities elsewhere? NCL has a Hawaii ship (Pride of America) that has the very best itinerary for island hopping in Hawaii. Does that make the other lines bad? No. It just means that the different lines have different priorities.

But frankly, if I had my Alaska tour scheduling to do over again, I'd fly up and use the ferry system to hop around. The cruise ships don't do Glacier Bay as well as the small boats running from the National Park concessionnaire. And the time at each port from cruise ships is limited. A self-planned tour, staying a day or two in Juneau, three in Glacier Bay, a couple days in each of Haines (not Skagway) and Sitka would be absolutely lovely. Sigh, next time.

Edited by TATraveler

I want to take a small ship cruise in Alaska, but the cost is multiples higher than a mainstream cruise line. The only marginally "less-touristy" port we've been to in Alaska was Sitka. I liked Sitka and would go again.

And well worth it, You will end up going to ports that the mega ships will never take you to.

DON

Our first cruise was Alaska Glacier Bay on Star NCL. Everything about our cruise was great. The only down side was not enough time spent in ports, and a family with un-attended kids next door that were loud, fighting among themselves.

We will be sailing in June on round trip cruise from San Francisco to Alaska on Princess Golden. I am hoping we will like Princess as much as we enjoyed NCL Star