Taking 10-month old on Europe Cruise

Can someone tell me more specifically what Carnival's policy is on taking infants on Europe cruises? I have called Carnival three times and received different answers pertaining to their clause, "Minimum age for sailing is 6 months, with the exceptions of Transatlantic, Hawaii and South American cruises, which are 12 months."

We are looking to go on the Vista, between Athens and Barcelona. So, it would NOT be a Transatlantic cruise, as it originates and ends in Europe. However, I've received different answers from the Carnival staff who seem confused on this issue, and think the minimum age is in fact 12 months old.

Any insight on where I could get a definite answer?

Thank you!

Can someone tell me more specifically what Carnival's policy is on taking infants on Europe cruises? I have called Carnival three times and received different answers pertaining to their clause, "Minimum age for sailing is 6 months, with the exceptions of Transatlantic, Hawaii and South American cruises, which are 12 months."

We are looking to go on the Vista, between Athens and Barcelona. So, it would NOT be a Transatlantic cruise, as it originates and ends in Europe. However, I've received different answers from the Carnival staff who seem confused on this issue, and think the minimum age is in fact 12 months old.

Any insight on where I could get a definite answer?

Thank you!

The way I read the Ticket Contract:

Item 5b - Guest agrees not to book a cruise or board the ship if at any time during the cruise she will enter the 24th week of estimated gestational age, or with infants less than six months old--for trans-ocean crossings, South America and Hawaii the infant must be at least twelve months of age at the time of embarkation to sail.http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

It says that you can't book the cruise or board the ship with an infant less than 6 months old. And for trans-ocean crossing, South America and Hawaii the baby has to be at least 12 months old at time of embarkation.

Thank you for your responses...

My baby will be well over 6 months old at the time of sailing...

I think the confusion lies with how Carnival defines "Transatlantic". Some customer service agents define this as any cruises on the other side of the Atlantic, and some, only if the ship originates in Europe (Or the Americas) and actually sails across the Atlantic. I believe the definition is the later, but have received different answers. :confused:

Thank you for your responses...

My baby will be well over 6 months old at the time of sailing...

I think the confusion lies with how Carnival defines "Transatlantic". Some customer service agents define this as any cruises on the other side of the Atlantic, and some, only if the ship originates in Europe (Or the Americas) and actually sails across the Atlantic. I believe the definition is the later, but have received different answers. :confused:

In plain English, "transatlantic" to me means crossing the Atlantic. A cruise on the other side of the Atlantic such as you are suggesting would be a European cruise. But that's according to my interpretation! The cruise contract seems pretty clear, but I hope you get a clear, definitive confirmation!

Vista sounds amazing! Very jealous!!!!

I don't have any information to help you answer this question, but I just wanted to say congrats on the new baby! I have enjoyed your reviews from prior cruises, and hope you come back to tell us about the Vista. Is 10 months too young to try escargots? ;) Since I imagine the new big brother will want to share with his sibling!

Trans is a prefix meaning across, so I can see where the confusion lies.

However transatlantic means crossing the Atlantic, so you are correct in that your baby can cruise.

Have a great trip. :)

Thanks all! I actually spent 1 hour and 40 minutes on the phone with the agent (who called Guest solutions three times) to confirm several things for me! I guess booking a cruise for a baby that is not yet born is a bit rare! :p

They confirmed that yes, since we are not crossing the Atlantic, she will be fine since the sailing originates and ends in Europe. I believe the 6 month minimum for Transatlantic, Hawaii and South America is simply because of the number of sea days (and lack of medical care available in ports) due to the huge distances the ship is traveling for long periods of time!

I don't have any information to help you answer this question, but I just wanted to say congrats on the new baby! I have enjoyed your reviews from prior cruises, and hope you come back to tell us about the Vista. Is 10 months too young to try escargots? Since I imagine the new big brother will want to share with his sibling!

Haha! Thanks Deladane! I'm sure he will try to tempt her with escargot! I think I'll stick with mushy peas and a little "lighter" fare until her 2nd cruise, at least! ;)

Edited by sailawaybellaluna