Spirit Aft Penthouse on 9 or mid-FWD on 10?

tbae

Hi all- Price is the same...should we choose the aft suite 9710 or a mid-forward suite 10022? It looks like the cabin and balcony offer more square footage/are bigger on 10022 and I prefer being more mid ship so we don't have to constantly walk down the long halls. But 9710 has that pretty view out back.

Has anyone been in either or both of these suites and do you know if 10022 really is bigger?

Thanks for ANY advice friends.

:-) :)

We were in 9212, the center aft, last December, and its a great suite. Lots bigger and roomier I think then the normal suites.

Check out the pics we took at cruiselinerooms dot com

Think you would like it.

We were just on the Dawn aft suite, and its half the size and not as nice.

These aft suites on the Spirit do not become available often, they get booked up fast.

Enjoy which ever you do.

BUT also,

In 9212 we had a terrible odor of cigarette smoke in our cabin, coming thru the ventilation service. Our Butler and the ships maintenance folks knew about it, prior occupants of the cabin had brought up the issue.

At times DW would awake up in the middle of the nite as the smell was so strong. You could stand under the ceiling vents and smell it.

They would spray air cleaner in our cabin, it only masked the odor.

When we would return to our cabin, we would open the hallway door and sliding balcony door for a few minutes to air it out. It created quite a wind tunnel effect, but it helped.

NCL never gave us a good answer regarding it, we wondered if the night shift crew were smoking and the air got sucked into the ventilation system.

Sometimes we would smell cigarette smoke in the hallway, port side, rear portion.

Do not know if it ever got addressed for good.

But I would take that cabin again, in spite of the smell.

Thank you for your insight. My thoughts are that it appears like the large windows in the bathroom (tub & shower) are flush against the side of the ship in 10518 (SF) giving close ocean views vs. in 9710 (SG) the balcony is there. It's a trade off I think -- the balcony is 85 sq feet in 9710 and only 30 in 10518...so I guess it's what you value more. It's a tough call, because as you say--those aft cabins are highly desired...the smoke smell is a big negative for me, so I am glad you shared that. Once I figure out my plan--I'll share. (if anyone wants to know that is....LOL)

We cruised in Suite 9710 on our 2011 cruise on the Spirit. It was our first time in a suite and we loved sitting on the balcony watching the wake behind the ship - so peaceful. Enjoyed it so much that we booked an aft suite on our Princess cruise to Alaska two years ago. Looking into a Mediterranean cruise on the Seven Seas Navigator for next year & I'm not sure - no aft suites!! :eek:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts-- we were in an aft once several years ago on a Carnival ship and we really enjoyed it. It had the wrap around balcony...really neat! :-)

I've been struggling with the same question (aft suite or penthouse suite) and finally bit the bullet yesterday and booked aft suite 9210 on the Sep 18 2016 Med cruise from Venice to Barcelona.

I *sure* hope that was the right decision as I've read pros and cons. The two YouTube videos I've seen of these suites is enticing, and there are only 3 such suites on the ship (not counting the ultra-pricey owner's suites).

The aft suite balconies are very narrow but wide for a panoramic view. I'm hopeful that the engines down below don't cause too much noise or vibration while at sea. Maneuvering in port I could understand.

These aft suites are also directly below the rock slide on the pool deck above, but hopeful that we'll have fewer noisy kids and pool activity on a mid-Sep cruise, being the crusty old curmudgeon that I am. :)

This will be our first trip to Europe and a life long dream to cruise the Med so wanted to make it extra special for my special girl on our 46th anniv.

I've been struggling with the same question (aft suite or penthouse suite) and finally bit the bullet yesterday and booked aft suite 9210 on the Sep 18 2016 Med cruise from Venice to Barcelona.

I *sure* hope that was the right decision as I've read pros and cons. The two YouTube videos I've seen of these suites is enticing, and there are only 3 such suites on the ship (not counting the ultra-pricey owner's suites).

The aft suite balconies are very narrow but wide for a panoramic view. I'm hopeful that the engines down below don't cause too much noise or vibration while at sea. Maneuvering in port I could understand.

These aft suites are also directly below the rock slide on the pool deck above, but hopeful that we'll have fewer noisy kids and pool activity on a mid-Sep cruise, being the crusty old curmudgeon that I am. :)

This will be our first trip to Europe and a life long dream to cruise the Med so wanted to make it extra special for my special girl on our 46th anniv.

You do not feel or hear the engines on the Spirit, we were on the Dawn aft, and those you hear and feel coming and going into ports.

The kids pool was hardly ever used, so never had any noise from there.

Enjoy, they are great cabins, we will only book aft suites in the future. Had the forward once, but not very usable, lots of limitations.

I stayed in 9710 and just loved it. The balcony is "thin" but long if that makes any sense. perfect for two people. The bathroom is huge, with Jacuzzi tub and separate large shower. Windows here look out to the ocean. Also large double sinks. This room is much larger than the aft penthouses on the Dawn.

Yes, agreed--thanks for all the help. We decided to go with 10518, PEnthouse (not aft), so we'll see. This cruise is almost 2 years away though! Ahhhh...the wait.! Hoping you enjoy the mediterranean, a dream of mine.....some day soon!