passport question on europe cruises

b_cruise

If your itinerary stays wholly within the Schengen Area, there will be no passport collection, and no stamps. You will get a stamp when you arrive in Europe, and that's about it…

We go to Croatia which I do not believe is in the schengen...not positive? I got news from NCL today that is is okay for my husband to leave ship early (athens) so all is well..I asked if they are collecting the passports and they said no. This surprises me as my last two cruises did. We do not have to fill out any forms either which also surprises me...:rolleyes::confused:

We've cruised NCL, RCI, CCL, & X on 5 different European itineraries (including Turkey, Morocco & Croatia) and never had to turn over our passports.

Perhaps it makes a difference if the ship overnights at a port?

We were on Celebrity and had to hand in our passports fir our stops in Greece.

Of course this is not ideal for people who feel safer carrying their passport in port. I remember one family that missed the ship in one Italian port and ended up sleeping in a train station overnight because no hotel would accept them without their passports (which the ship was holding). If this is a problem for you, ask at check-in or boarding if there is any way to avoid handing over your passport, or to hand it over for as short a time as possible. I have never asked about this, so I don't know kinds of accommodations they can make.

Of the ships we have been on, if the passengers missed the ship, then the cruise line gave the passports to the dock side staff.

Obviously that is only if they can find the passports in the passengers cabin! They would look in your safe and obvious places. We have seen the dock side staff holding passports as we cruise away!