Help

Bwfc1965

Hi All,

I booked the NCL Panama Cruise from LA 12th April 2015, for my parents (independently - ie flights, hotels and cruise all booked by me).

Hope someone can help.

I am posting thus on behalf of my parents who flew from the UK on a 16 hrs flight to LA to board the NCL Panama Canal month cruise for the holiday of a lifetime, only to be told on arrival 12/04/2015, at the port that the cruise is cancelled!!

They are in there mid 70's and devastated.

At the minute they have no idea what is happening and are very upset.

Does anyone have any information of what NCL's responsibilitys are?

ie will compensation be paid for the flights they have paid for and the Hotels in LA and Copenhagen?

Will they provide alternative cruise options and flights back to UK?

Any info will be a big help as they are getting no assistance from NCL at the minute.

Thanks in anticipation

Hi All,

I booked the NCL Panama Cruise from LA 12th April 2015, for my parents (independently - ie flights, hotels and cruise all booked by me).

Hope someone can help.

I am posting thus on behalf of my parents who flew from the UK on a 16 hrs flight to LA to board the NCL Panama Canal month cruise for the holiday of a lifetime, only to be told on arrival 12/04/2015, at the port that the cruise is cancelled!!

They are in there mid 70's and devastated.

At the minute they have no idea what is happening and are very upset.

Does anyone have any information of what NCL's responsibilitys are?

ie will compensation be paid for the flights they have paid for and the Hotels in LA and Copenhagen?

Will they provide alternative cruise options and flights back to UK?

Any info will be a big help as they are getting no assistance from NCL at the minute.

Thanks in anticipation

OMG, I am so sorry that they are going thru this, what happened was they cancelled that cruise due to a mechanical issue a week ago, sent emails and made calls to people to let them know. They have a special # to help people that I believe NCL can transfer you to. As far as I know they were giving everyone a full refund on the cruise part, and I know that some have already received that. Also they were giving 150 change fees for air and hotel, also I heard they have for ALL other money that was a loss you can file a claim and that they will help you with it. Also they are giving 50% discount on next cruise. We are on the TA to Copenhagen on the 27th from Miami, I would think that if you can get a hold of the right people with Ncl hopefully they will make this somehow work for them. They could fly to Miami maybe and stay until the next leg of their trip so its not a total loss. Do they have Insurance on this trip? If so that might also work, as I called our Ins just to see, that if our leg was cancelled and was told we were covered for a mechanical failure. Just a thought. Please let me know if you have any other questions or ways I can help, and please let me know what happens. Hoping all the best, Karen

The Star is having an issue with one of it's azipods and needs to go into drydock to be repaired. This was announced about a week or so ago. You or they should have gotten an email or contact from your travel agent with a number to call.

NCL had offered a full refund, 50% off a new cruise and the reimbursement of airline change fees.

Did you buy them travel insurance? I'm sure since the port works probably work for the port and not NCL they have no way of fixing this. Contact your travel agent or your insurance company if they are looking for return flights.

I can well imagine your parents being very upset having not found out until they arrived at the port that the first part of the cruise is cancelled. You should have been contacted by your travel agent or the cruise line if you booked direct. Only the first part of the cruise is cancelled, the transatlantic portion is still on with departure from Miami on April 27th.

Your parents could still make their cruise if they decide to stay in the States and will need to make their way to Florida.They should though call NCL direct.

NCL phone number- 1-866-234-7350

Here is a link to a roll call for people who were on the same cruise;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1989253

It is quite long so you might want to start from the last page and work backwards and you can see the posts from other people and perhaps get some insight into what they are doing to change plans.

If your parents decide they want to join the ship in Miami they will need to make there way there. If the cruise line can not help them with arrangements you can look into booking things yourself. If that be the route you want to take then you might want to check out Southwest airline (they do not book through sites like Kayak). I had a quick look and you could get flights from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale for under $200 US per person midweek ( slightly higher on weekends). Southwest does not fly into Miami itself but they are very close and you can get a shuttle to the port of Miami or Miami hotels for $15 per person using a company called SAS. Here are inls to both companies;

https://www.southwest.com/

http://www.ridesas.com/

Hotels also might be cheaper if staying in Fort Lauderdale. Here is an inexpensive option in Fort Lauderdale that has availability for the entire time they may need. They have shuttle transportation and a hot breakfast everyday for an average price of just over $100 US per night.

Quality Inn & Suites Airport/Cruise Port South

2520 Stirling Rd. , Hollywood, FL, US, 33020-1122

Phone: (954) 922-1600Fax: (954) 923-5363

website;

http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-hollywood-florida-FL243

Here is a place in Miami that has availability also for around $125 US per night;

Sleep Inn Miami Airport

105 Fairway Dr. , Miami Springs, FL, US, 33166

Phone: (305) 871-7553Fax: (305) 871-5441

website;

http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-miami_springs-florida-FL817#listpos7

Best case scenario NCL will be able to help directly with your parents. If not

hopefully the above will get you started on making arrangements for them to join the cruise in Miami. Fingers crossed they will still be able to have an enjoyable vacation.

I am not a travel agent but there are plenty of folks who are on this site. They can not advertise but I am sure they can provide some advise here for you. So if you have any more questions just ask there are lots of knowledgeable people on the boards who will gladly answer if they can.

If they have travel insurance they should be able to help as well and possibly make all other arrangements.

Best of luck.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

I honestly feel for you and your parents. I'm sure you've contacted their Travel Insurance co by now. I do hope they are covered as I know for a fact our standard insurance do not cover anyone over 75...

The NCL call centre will be able to assist further once they open. My suggestion is that they re-book a shorter cruise to make up some of the time with perhaps some additional nights in LA/San Diego and Miami Area. I haven't checked options, but an NCL cruise could come from the cruise fare paid. Refunds might take some time and you/they would have to pay any alternatives. It might be easier if NCL could deal with your parents directly - the time difference complicates things even more!

Nothing will ever substitute a Panama Canal cruise - I have done it with my mother. However, the situation is what it is and you need to make the most of it. Good Luck.