Forgotten meds

The short answer is yes depending on the medication. My DH forgot his meds in November on the Quantum. We called the medical office and they were able to dispense enough for the cruise, but we had to pay for a medical exam and also because of the type of medication, they had to do blood tests. Total cost was $180.

If you can get your doctor to call in a prescription to a pharmacy near your hotel and you can get it before you board, it would be much easier and cheaper.

On the bright side, we got to see the medical facilities of the brand new ship and that was a bit fun.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

A couple of years ago my husband forgot one of his medications at home (glipizide). He always carries a list of all his medications with the necessary dosage info with him. He presented it to the ship's doctor and was provided with a supply for the # of days of the cruise plus 3 extra days in case of travel difficulties getting home.

You'd think I'd learn but something similar has happened to me three times.

First time was in Sedona, AZ. Unbeknownst to the rest of the passengers who had already left our vehicle for the restrooms, my BIL pushed a wrong button in our van (he was driving) and the trunk lid opened and our overnight bag fell out. Didn't find out until we stopped that night. Went two days without my heart medicine but realized I couldn't go another day. Called my doctor on Memorial Day and he phoned a pharmacy fifteen miles away and I got enough to get me home.

Second was in Vancouver, BC last September. Forgot one of my meds. However, this time I had a written prescription with me that I took to a pharmacy. They referred me to a doctor who ok'd the prescription and the pharmacy filled it. BTW: Whenever we've traveled out of the country we have always had written prescriptions from our doctor that we take with us.

Third time was last weekend. Traveled 550 miles from home and I had no meds. I remembered I had carefully counted out what I would need for the weekend plus two extra days. Luckily our weekend bag had the written doctor prescriptions we are taking with us overseas this summer in it. I took them to a pharmacy and they gave me enough of my three meds to last four days. Of course, I had to pay full price for them but it was worth it to know I didn't have to watch my diet extremely close all weekend.

Got home and still couldn't find them. Finally unpacked and repacked the bag with things I had already laid out for overseas. There the meds were - under that stuff. Why it was there I'll never know.

Hope I've learned my lesson. We'll see. But, I do know I will always travel with written prescriptions now no matter where I go.

My DH forgot his blood pressure med several years ago. He didn't find out until after we boarded the ship (drove to the port). He went down to the ship Dr.. who gave him enough for the entire cruise. We submitted the cost to our travel insurance and got a full reimbursement. He now checks and rechecks before we leave home.

Yes, you can buy medications from the ship, however it's a bit of a pain. If you don't have the actual prescriptions, you will have to see the doctor, which means waiting in line, and paying for the doctor visit. This happened to me once, and the receptionist at the ship's medical center suggested I go to a pharmacy ashore to buy the meds I needed. It was very inexpensive to get them ashore.

To all of you regarding medications left at home...the best thing to do is to make a list of ALL medications & put them in a check list fashion..MAKE COPIES...when you ( or whomever) start preparing the meds to take with you, CHECK off or cross off the medication as you go along..men can be very difficult in this area- they think they can remember everything...writing it down is for sissies, not MEN..that's how many think..well, FORGETTING is a lot more for sissies...I used to rely on my memory, too..but now, I have 4 diabetes meds, 2 HBP meds, 2 urinary , 1 prostate & 1 sleep aid to take..that doesn't include 3 GERD meds & an arthritis med..It takes me 30-45 minutes alone to do this..hate it, but I hate feeling crappy on a cruise more, and diabetes and HBP are serious issues, especially with all the food & drink one tends to consume on a cruise...I am also a cruise agent that has done 31 cruises on 6 lines, and I tell ALL my clients to make sure you bring XXX on your cruise..this list always includes: tummy ache meds, headaches & fever , motion sickness ( like Bonine), birth control or hormones, and lactose intolerant meds ( my wife needs that badly) is just a starter list...Happy & Healthy cruising to all..

Big Al

My DH forgot his blood pressure med several years ago. He didn't find out until after we boarded the ship (drove to the port). He went down to the ship Dr.. who gave him enough for the entire cruise. We submitted the cost to our travel insurance and got a full reimbursement. He now checks and rechecks before we leave home.

I am the same way. I use the same check list each year and follow it and once its put in my travel bag I don't touch anything inside. That is good that the ship doctors can have some meds on hands ? I wonder if they have all meds on hand ?